1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Howdy

Discussion in 'New Members' started by terryh2c, Oct 17, 2013.

1. terryh2c

terryh2c New Member

Hi - I'm Terry from sunny (if only) Melbourne - don't have any Kombi experience but hey, willing to learn. Currently agonising over buying either a 72 Lowlight or a 78 2 litre - love different things about both - just have to decide which way to go. I'm not looking for a camper - need to carry people and some stock for my new beachwear business - with the very odd bit of touring thrown in.
    My reservation about the low light is the 1600 - seems like a modest engine to push all that bodywork around - but the bodywork is the bit I like. The 2 litre engine seems a more robust (if expensive to rebuild) proposition. All comments appreciated.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey and Welcome.
    A 1600 in good condition wil push all that tin no probs.
    A 72 has a larger engine bay so can fit larger engines but the 1600 base is also a good one to build from. A lot of bigger motors are built of this case.

A later bay with a 2ltr will always be stronger than a stock 1600 though.

And I agree a lowlight look better from the front - but the 72 has the same rear end so not much different.
    Best buy is a 71 I think. Smaller engine bay but also small rear lights. And front disk brakes.

Post some links of photos of them and we can all help out further too.

3. terryh2c

terryh2c New Member

Brad - thanks for your thoughts - will do.
    And I agree, the small rear lights are neat. Does the 71 have the same disk brakes as the later bays?

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

72 , almost a lowlight :p

same beam on 71 and later bays but all brakes were upgraded re size. think it was 71 only for the smaller disc but may have extended into 72. both can be changed.
    not sure when booster was added. it would be necessary if you upgraded
    1600 runs on revs . needs revs in each gear to catch the next on hills. 2L runs on torque and a more flexible drive.

either is ok .
    you seem to be aware of differences and tradeoffs which is good.

Its more than possible to live with either and they can be improved as Brad suggested.
    Quality of body/ overall value for money/ need to lug weight/ personal choice /are probably the biggest factor..

col

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?45002-Day-of-The-Volkswagen

Hi there Terry from Sunny Melbourne...its Sunny now although it was hailing an hour ago...
    Welcome to the Club
    This sunday is the biggest vw show in victoria for the year
    You should check it out ..plenty if chances to talk to differant owners about the virtues of one model over another...and other such details
    Also there are usually plenty for sale from fully restored to rusty old shells
    Check it out

6. terryh2c

terryh2c New Member

Thanks Col
    I agree regarding the improvement possibility. I'll probably settle on the least rusty and straightest body and go from there.
    My only other issue is most of the Kombi's that come on the market are in Qld or NSW. Was there a state tax or something in the 1970's in Victoria that made them unpopular?

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Had a 1600 1969 bus from about 1975 to 1987. Twas a good unit and carried family around, pulled a trailer for camping etc. Traded up to a 79 window van in 87 and it felt like a sports car. Lots of grunt (relatively) and brakes that stopped. Depends on what aeshetic spins your wheels but either way you should enjoy the ride.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  8. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hello Terry,

I cannot comment on the '78 as I have no experience with this kind of bus. However........ I can say that almost a year ago we bought a nine seater 1972 Microbus and it is a more fun than you cam imagine! We have done two trips to the Gold Coast (with eight aboard) and the ride was exceptional. The engine in the bus is a stock 1600. I am, however, of the opinion that it was a slightly bored reconditioned engine that was put in in the early nineties. Having said that we don't run up from Mooney Mooney at 110kmh!

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Plenty of Kombis in Melbourne...

10. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I used to own a 72, a great year IMO. I find the 1600 has fewer boxes to tick as far as servicing and troubleshooting are concerned, my current one has a reliability advantage over previous 2L but then that 2L was poorly rebuilt. Obviously the big motor will do what bigger motors do but a 1600 in good nick is my personal preference.

11. terryh2c

terryh2c New Member

Thanks very much for your thoughts - will take you up on the show this weekend - and it actually looks like ok weather.

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

On what Col said regarding torque.
    Some people prefer single port 1600's over the twin port as they provide more torque instead of performance at higher revs.

My engine is actually a 1776 built from a 1600 and it sits at 110 on the freeway no probs.
    But it does lack a certain power on hills.
    Which is why I am in the process of an upgrade. ( I am a lead foot).

Either way as Col also said. body work is where money flies out the door. You can slowly fix mechancial as you go but you have to take the bus off the road to fix bodywork really.

They are super fun though. get into it for sure.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Hi Terry
    There is a guy selling 2 kombis who just posted on the kombiclub facebook site
    They are both in melbourne and need work