1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hub Cap Differences......(by DavidH....)

Discussion in 'Body' started by David H, Sep 27, 2018.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

To trouble a little more:confused:. What do others understand around the outside curve of a genuine kombi hubcap:eek:.
    Warning......This is Nerd material!!:(
    Cheers

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

:confused::confused: Warning Mind explosion:eek: Don't quite know what your asking.!

3. David H

Some have a wider flatter edge on the rim side. Other version has less edge on rim side. Old Bar check today is about half and half. I’ll post up some photos when I get home.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. David H

15mm to start of curve
    15 to curve start.JPG
    12mm to start of curve
    12 to curve start.JPG Hubcaps posted.JPG
    Sharper radius on left hand one. Told you it was nerd material:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

5. Wayne murray

Thanks David I under stood when your last posted #143 I think type 3 (notch back etc) have a wider lip on the hubcaps. I have to check my chrome ones know to see what they are.:rolleyes:o_O

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen those flat measuring stick things?

I think they are called “rulers”....:rolleyes:

Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  7. Wayne murray

He doesn't work in that department of Bunning;)

David H and Grantus like this.
  8. David H

Only used for measuring flat stuff;). Not curves:D.
    Ah Kimosabe. You have taken the rock. It's my understanding that Kombi hubcaps have the soft curve & beetles the sharp curve. Worked this out when I bought a hubcap clock (with wide style) for $40 when hubcaps are $30:confused:. Beetle hubcaps cheap & fit Kombis. Kombi hubcaps expensive cos the market can pay:mad::(.
    & beetle hubcaps real cheap;):cool:. Chromed:D.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  9. Grantus

Sorry. I thought you were measuring the 12-15mm flat bit.......to the start of the curve. :oops:

10. David H

That's what I was doing! 3mm diff to the start of radius that ends @ the same outside edge. Nerd s**t:eek:. The 12/15 bit is what accommodates the softer radius & where the 'spare bit' goes:oops:. Outside curve the same as it starts in the same spot. It's how the inside finishes;):rolleyes:.
    Cheers

11. Wayne murray

I think you need to join OSF and my self with OCDo_O:confused::eek: You have early signs of it:(:rolleyes:.
    To buy a clock mechanism is about $10 bucks so you got a bargain.

12. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Not based on anything logical at all but ....... I thought the wider lip ones were later model.

Don't know why I thought this. Just did.

13. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I suppose I thought VW would probably just do the same hubcaps across the range for simplicity/ease of production etc. This might have changed a bit across the years though, if outsourced or something.

Just a theory.

14. Grantus

Probably also a variation between German ones, those from South America, and those from any other aftermarket fabricator.....:rolleyes:

OSF likes this.
  15. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

The wider lipped ones go further when you throw them as a frisbee as it has a more efficient aerodynamic shape.

This is because air flows rapidly over the wider lip, which throw the air down toward the ground, generating an upward force called lift that overcomes the hubcaps weight and holds it in the air!

oldman and Grantus like this.
  16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Kombis have the thicker lip, 4 stud beetles, type 3 , kg have the thin lip

251 601 151 A

David H likes this.
  17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

An whilst the increased width of the hubcap potentially creates an increased form drag coefficient, this is offset by the relative air pressure differential above and below the hubcap as noted by MAP77.

I.e. The wider lipped hubcaps will have a slightly slower flight speed but fly higher than the thin lipped ones, ultimately resulting in further maximum horizontal flight distance gained.

Highly polishing said hubcap will then further decrease surface drag, potentially increasing flight speed and height, whilst heavily dimpled caps will allow a nice amount of spin should the flight of said hubcap require a nice turn.

P.S. You started this David.

wombatventures, David H and MAP77 like this.
  18. Grantus

They all fly better and further than an alloy wheel though..... no matter how much force and spin you get into in before release.

19. David H

Oh My!! The wider lip will be no good for continuing laminer flow of air. Would 'stall' at an earlier position & cease flying.

"increased width of the hubcap "
    Outside curve does not change width:p. Steeper 'leading edge' will create increased 'wish' of the airflow to leave the surface earlier& thus create more drag & frisbee falling short:oops:. Nice smooth leading edge is good:cool:.
    Glad I've got the Type 3 hubcaps;). They go faster:D & further.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  20. David H

Some need for airflow understanding needed here MAP in your logic. If it goes up quick it comes down quick & thus stalls sooner & no longer flies:(.
    Cheers