1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it, I did it, I did it !! Steering coupling from below,steering box left in.

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by oldman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I finally managed to complete this p*%#@ of a job. (Replace the steering coupling).
    This can be done without having to remove the steering column,or the steering box. Believe it or not..... :lol:

Kim posted, seeking advice - thanks Adrian & Mike - & after several attempts at lifting the steering column shroud, I resigned myself to doing it the hard way. :wtf:
    Seriously folks, if you really want to challenge your perception of patience, try this... sometime. I managed to remove the split pins, undo the nuts & remove the steering bush from below - getting the new one in was the challenge. Mike suggested taking the steering wheel off, electrics etc. & removing the outer casing & so exposing the top of the coupling. Sounded too easy & as I thought, hit a snag - I couldn't remove the steering wheel. Don't forget I have only two bolts in the new coupling at this stage so nothing to really pull against :umm: I gave up on that idea & started considering the merits of Doc's suggestion : remove the steering box & drop the lot down, through the outer casing - bugger!! I realise that I still have a steering wheel that won't budge. There goes that idea. What to do........

So it's back to ground level. This time armed with a pair of locking forceps,(my wife is a Midwife - thank God !!) and a timber wedge. I jacked the front end & put the bus on stands. This allowed me to turn the steering box & so manoeuvre bolt holes etc. The timber wedge allowed me to push the bush sideways without damaging it - something I had to do in order to get the bolts above, so they'd drop down. This is where the forceps came in. Fine & with a firm grip, they allowed me to position the bolts accurately & with a jiggle here & there, they went in place. Positioning the earth wire for the horn proved "difficult" - but persistence paid off. All nuts tightened & job now complete.

I can see how mechanic's bills can become seemingly excessive - even with their training, I'm sure they must have moments like these.
    In my case - about 8hrs labour start to finish, oh & about 3k more grey hairs :lol:

But jeez it feels good now that it's done !!
    If anyone is considering doing the same, please pm me. I'l talk you through it. Hopefully it'll save you some of the stress that I dealt with.
    Cheers, Mark

Maccas likes this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Congrats Mark .....now that your "initiated" time for the center pin .....;)

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Well done. Sorry my ideas were a bit off.

Adrian

4. oldman

Hey Doc, thanks......mmm centre pin? - all in good time.....a looong time I hope :D
    Adrian, thanks for your input, I had no idea where to start & at least you helped rule out the options :p
    Thanks Team KC :cool:
    Cheers,............ a very satisfied Mark

5. kool_kombi 79

kool_kombi 79 Well-Known Member

I must say that this job CAN be done in place as described above.

I did this job yesterday to remove some slop in the steering and the coupling had cracks in it aswell.

The only differance to the above description was I was able to undo the two screws holding the cover plate at the base of the steering column (in cabin area) and slide it up to allow for top side access, allowing me to drop the bolts in from the cabin area.

Thanks for the info.

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Well done, how's the fingers

7. kool_kombi 79

Fine, but it was a tight fit under there, the bullbar brackets didn't help that much either.

8. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Well done mark!!

9. oldman

Thanks saabman ! Hey Koolkombi, I was really hoping I could slide that metal steering column shroud up to get access to the coupling bolts from above as was suggested by others - but it just would not go up :wtf: I don't know whether this is peculiar to '71 lowlights, or what but it was not going to move for me. I had that much upward force on it that it started to deform, so I just gave up & did it the hard way - from below. I'm glad that you didn't have the same issues. Cheers, Mark

10. kool_kombi 79

I can feel your pain.

Hate to say but my column cover has a few millimetres clearance.

11. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

photos

mark
    it would be good to see some pics of your bus!

paul

12. oldman

Hey Paul, Herman is my son - Kim's - bus. I just work on it :D I've been hassling him to post/update his resto thread, but he's been really busy with "other stuff".... as 17yr olds are :rolleyes: I'll try & get him to do something this weekend. My biggest problem at the moment, is trying to convince the Minister for War & Finance that I need my own kombi BEFORE the house needs to be finished. :umm: At the moment, I'm fighting a losing battle.
    Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Added discovery for today, the early steering column (up to 74) cover doesn't move up the steering column like the later column's cover. Makes the job a lot harder.

Adrian

oldman likes this.