1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I stand by this statement!

Discussion in 'Performance' started by BackintheDak, Feb 15, 2019.

1. BackintheDak

BackintheDak Member

T2's are much more capable off road than the T3!
    I have owned 5 T2's previous to my T3 and I can say without a doubt T2's handle gravel, sand and all sorts of "off the beaten track" surfaces much better than the T3.
    My T3 breaks traction so easily, there is no way I would consider taking it on the beach like I used to take my T2.
    I was towing my trailer and log splitter up an incline in a paddock and it took me four attempts to get up.
    The t2's I beam setup seems to distribute the weight better allowing it to keep traction.
    Anyone else had this experience?

23-05-12 394.jpg

23-05-12 054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
  2. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I had my '82 camper doing very similar. Before I took it to the Kimberleys I fitted Lockrite diff locker to it. No more issues. The only down side was when turning the diffs clicked which is normal as they engage and disengage. My latest T3 does not have the issue as it is a Syncro.

Ian

3. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yep, its all down to wight distribution and suspension setup. The T3 has around 48% front and 52% rear design weight distribution which makes them a super comfy road hugger regardless of payload. The T2 has something like 43% front and 57% rear giving them an off-road advantage. But stick a passenger in the front seat of a T2 or load up the camper and it leaves one wishing for power steering. Had T2's before and won't go back.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Totally agree that T2 is more capable off road.
    Spent a lot of time going around fire trails in the hills around Victoria.
    Lived in the Dandenongs and would often go thru the forest there.
    Directly compared the "3" and "2" on my rutted driveway here in qld . also a comparo of Lt and passenger tyres on both.

Besides weight , I believe that the rear suspension difference is the major factor.
    Shows up on corrugated roads as well .

The t3 very quickly looses traction whereas I have had the front wheel off the ground on deep rutted steep trail in the 2 and it still maintained traction without a problem except for lack of power at very low revs.
    A mate in early Nissan patrol failed the climb on same day :D

Improved torque is also very useful off road.
    My Subaru powered DC 3 has better ability than the air cooled 3 van at slow crawling.
    Also wouldn't experience carb float issues that the carb motors have on steep climbs.

T2. Subygears box with low 1st and LSD. Suby 2.5. Big soft tyres.
    Poor mans syncro :D

3 is certainly more relaxed on road.

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

T3 with LSD or Pelequin is also a poor mans Syncro

6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yeah, T2 has good traction (until you put on an anti-sway bar and start lifting wheels)...

and yeah, a T3 with LSD (or some other hallucinogenic) might be okay :D

David H likes this.
  7. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Hey Phil, don't you mean a Syncro is a poor man's T3? As a well known Syncro owner has said on here, should have gone for a lightly tricked 2WD that spends far less time in the shed in bits, far more time on the road and leaves far more in the back pocket.

Dapom and Luckyphil like this.
  8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct, a man with a dodgy Syncro will be a poor man :)

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So help me understand that difference Cbus or Phil?
    Thanks

10. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Would be great to put together a T2/3 2wd off-road comparison weekend somewhere rough and hilly. :)

My nearest fire trails and descent climbs are at least 500km away. :(

11. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

i assume it's similar to when i put anti-sway bars on T2s to help them sit flatter on the road (but lift wheels and lose traction on the dirt)...a T3 probably has suspension better suited to the tar.

David H likes this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The torsion bar and trailing arm suspension works better than the coil springs
    As tintop said, stiffening rear is counterproductive off road.
    When I increased pressure in pump up shocks it raised rear and was great on road but severely restricted off road due to the inability of each wheel to follow undulations.

David H likes this.
  13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks guys:). I do know my T2 is better off road with a broken sway bar & with the heavy duty front sway bar sits flat on road but lifts a wheel when on a slope or turning force involved.
    I like torsion bars & trailing arms;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019