1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify this clip / retainer

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by okymura, Aug 15, 2020.

1. okymura

okymura Member

Had a wheel alignment and found this clip retainer in the glovebox. My Kombi is a 1970 bay with wide stud disc brake conversion. Any ideas where and what this clip is from as is has just appeared in the glovebox.
    0E783EF5-7FB4-405B-901D-4EDACC9B8EF4.jpeg CFA0BBA8-D7A9-4F47-8A8B-B6CF31628D17.jpeg 6A7F252E-696A-4BA0-A36F-842A8438A360.jpeg

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That’s a heater control cable clip.
    It fits under the dash area and keeps the control cables in a fixed position so that the actual cable slides within , when the levers are moved.
    Hang on to it......they are hard to come by.
    Without this clip in the correct spot, the heater cables will flop around and not work properly.
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H likes this.
  3. okymura

okymura Member

Thanks Mark
    I checked under the dash the cables are stilll clipped in but the clip is different smaller but it definitely holds the cables firm. This clip looks dirtier like it belongs under the body somewhere.

oldman likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I would be checking your brakes. Few things come to mind. It could be part of the bracket that helps keep pressure against the two pins that hold the disc brake pad in place in the front brakes.Which if you get under your bus you should be able to see the bracket,which you'll find one side might be missing one.
    The piece you have normally rivet in the middle to another piece of metal.
    You mentioned you had a wheel alignment ?! have they found it and put it in your glove box.

5. Wayne murray

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Well! I got that one wrong !
    Good pickup Wayne.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. okymura

okymura Member

Thanks Wayne will check it out had to go to work. The only thing concerning me is the disc conversion is only three weeks old and why would they use an old clip, but I’m still going to have a good look.

8. Wayne murray

:oops:Didn,t read post correctly sorry. You wouldn't have old clips with what you had done, The only other thing I had thought of was the bracket that would put tension on the star adjusters for drum brakes. That doesn't explain why it's in glovebox

9. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Oh come on Okymura at least distort the image and challenge Wayne to check his NOS items for a genuine replacement!