1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ignition

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by newts, Jul 8, 2013.

1. newts

newts Member

Hi guys , after some help , my t2 74 bay will not turn the ignition off when the key is taken out even though the motor turns off . I fitted a new ignition switch but it is the same , any ideas would be gratefully taken on board .Thx guys

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Silly question......but have you checked your fuses? As iam sure theres one that if its blown will not turn engine off.

3. kombivan

kombivan New Member

I would say somthing is wired incorrectly + from battery is getting into your ignition circuit some how could even be a bad earth but I suspect a live wire connected to ignition. But you can't have the engine turn off and the ignition stay on!!! possibly some of your instruments are active...... when off check that the coil doesn't get hot to ensure it is turning off. Could be your windscreen wiper motor almost worn out so it still works while ignition is off?

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not fuses. Not wiper. Bad earth doubtful.

You could have a bad alternator diode.

5. kombivan

kombivan New Member

Does an alternator Diode explain why engine will turn off? Would you expect a light on the dash? I wouldn't rule out wiper motor so quickly as mine works when ignition is turned off and when engine is running I have a faint green light in the indicator light on the dash. I had my alternator reconditioned and that made no difference to mine. However my ignition is not staying on coil will be hot/warm when key is off if the ignition is remaining on.

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just to clarify, your alternator, oil and (if you have one) brake warning light are staying on after you turn the key to stop the engine. Also the key goes in and it turns one click(normal ignition on position) then turns to another position that is spring loaded for starting. So 3 positions possible.

If all this is good I agree with syncro that you might have a dud alternator diode, with out looking at the diagram.

Kombivan - the solenoids are fed from the same live feed as the coil so if the engine stops due to no spark from coil(ignition off) then the solenoids should drop out as well. There is only one wire from the front of the car to the coil and all the ignition connected items including the reversing lights, and solenoids and another large single wire back to the starter motor solenoid.

There may be a wire worn through or damaged in the loom too, which is causing the lights to stay on making it appear that the ignition is on. If you can confirm there is voltage on the coil or not when the engine is stopped and the lights on the dash are on it will give us a bit more to go on.

Adrian

7. newts

newts Member

hi guys , yes the ignition is still on after turning the engine off and taking out the key , the fan in the engine bay is still running and I have to disconnect the battery .

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The heater fan works off the same alternator diodes as the warning lights.

9. newts

newts Member

guys THANKYOU for all the advice , I decided to take off the alternator only to find the insulation on the main red power wire had rotted and the wire had arched out and welded itself into the back of one of the diodes , apparently it as caused quite a bit of damage to the alternator , and the diode pack is rare as now so I am on the hunt for an alternator, if any one as one for sale please let me know , pref` Melbourne area , but will be on the gold coast soon . THX guys

10. kombivan

kombivan New Member

I am not sure but I might have a 1800 alternator hasn't been used for 20 years. I will be it town tomorrow I will see if its still there. I have never used it don't know if it works but it would have dioeds etc in it it may even just need new bearings.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  11. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

I have a spare alternator. Yours for $40. I can send it on an overnight service to you for $25. Or if you a coming to the Gold Coast, you could come and pick it up from the North side of Brisbane.

12. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad you have some offers. Just because the diode packs are rare as does mean it is a throw away. I would be surprised if you couldn't get some replacement diodes and have them pressed in. Also there are other components that could be useful down the track. The brushes are mounted in a unit which is NLA from Bosch, but the brushes themselves are still available. So apparently are the slip rings. Might be good to leave the existing one in a box and do a little research as having a good spare built up over time from other sources. At the very least you could trade it in on a reco one as they might be able to use the good parts from yours on another. They are a special design and cant be easily swapped out for another type as they use the cooling air from the engine fan ducted through the body and out the pulley end.

Good luck

Adrian

13. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Diodes were definantly available 12 months ago. Find a real auto electrician or do it yourself.

I had a similar thing happen with an alternator I rebuilt - an unintentional short to the case destroyed the diodes - A good auto electrican was able to get a suitable replacement for them with no problems.

14. kombivan

kombivan New Member

good auto electricitian in forster 0409743194 ask for glen

15. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Diodes are available(so are stators, exciter diodes, rotor coils and slip rings). You just need an Auto sparky that isn't a lazy twit. Upgrade to 75A while you are at it..

16. kombivan

kombivan New Member

sweet your laughing that 75A will be a bonus on the road for recharging all the batteries.