1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm green as. Still figuring it out

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Red Flash, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Red Flash

Red Flash New Member

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm doing this right! I'm the proud owner of a recently restored 1967 red and white splitty and several other VWs: (1961 Karmann Ghia convertible, 1967 Beetle, 1993 Golf cabrio). Hoping to meet some good people through this site and enjoy the social side of Kombi ownership and learn more from those who know everything about Kombis and other VWs.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Yes, you're doing it right! :lol:

Welcome to the KombiClub.

Impressive collection in your signature....... of course, we'd all enjoy some pics when you get around to it, to drool over..:)

3. DaveW

DaveW Member

Your green as . I am green with envy about. Your little collection :) welcome to KC club

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the KC. :)

5. Red Flash

Red Flash New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I'd be very happy to put some pics up of the other cars but not sure how to. any clues?

6. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

7. Red Flash

Red Flash New Member

Let's see if this does the trick and the photos appear. fingers crossed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Nice garage full there. Welcome.
    Easter is the national gathering. Have a look at the events threads. This year Narooma.

9. kmac

kmac New Member

Wow, wow, and double wow! Beautiful collection, and welcome to the club. Super great people and club.
    Kris

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Mmmmm pics!

Drool....... :cry:

11. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Yes very nice collection :cool:

Think your split is earlier than a 1967, assuming it is Aussie built. Lots of helpfull experts on this and other sites can help you identify year of manufacture.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  12. Red Flash

Red Flash New Member

Hi Ted,
    This Kombi was born in Germany and delivered in Thailand and I brought it out to Oz. I'm interested as to what the differences are that you have spotted.
    Andrew

13. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Andrew

I don't profess to be an expert and it is needs to be recognised that a lot of "modifications" can happen to a split in 40 or so years - new fronts after collisions, changes to indicators, rear lights etc. The thing that doesn't generally change however is the location of the vents. Aussie built 67 splits have the vents up high - in 2 sections, whereas your split as them below the wasteline. If you look at my 67 Aussie split in my profile you will see what I mean. Urban legend suggests that vents were moved up high in Oz to combat our dusty conditions.

Regards

Ted

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  14. Red Flash

Red Flash New Member

Ted,

Yes, I see. That all makes sense as mine was originally delivered in Thailand and I brought it out from there. Therefore mine is a German made not an aussie one. Do you know if there is any significant difference between the aussie and the german models or which is seen as more desirable? (Obviously I'll have to sprechen ze deutch when I talk to mine which will be a little more challenging for me given my limited skills in that area).

Andrew

15. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Andrew

Following borrowed from another post. Author is Split1 (Dave). Hopefully I haven't infringed any copyright laws.

.....later Aussie made vans had the air vents above the swageline after about 63.
    Vans had lower vents before that. Vans were made in Australia from about 55 in kit form and then properly from late 50's, these had vents below the swage line

I'm not aware if there is any preference for Aussie v German built. Others may care to comment.

Cheers

Ted

16. Red Flash

Red Flash New Member

Ted,

That's very helpful. THANKS!

Andrew

17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the party that never ends - nice looking rides