1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Take-Away

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nikferatu, Oct 17, 2009.

1. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Can someone explain what is happening with Indian takeaway food joints? We all love a good butter chicken and naan bread over here as much as the next person, and Indian would be a regular feature in the revolving selection of takeout destinations for years now. A couple of years ago we tried "Miss India" a local chain with a store at Aspley, the food was quite good and reasonably priced. Now not only has the price crept up but now you have to pay for your rice as well! I'm sorry but there are a couple of immutable truths in this world - one of which is that when you buy yourself a plastic bucket of your favourite curry the rice is bloody well included, end of story! Yesterday was the last straw, ordered 3 mains for a knees-up for four of us only to get it home and discover - you guessed it - no rice! Then back to the place to get charged another 7.50 for three tubs of rice, ending up being a total well in excess of fifty bucks! In future they can forget about it! Thankfully Indian Brothers still do the right thing and well worth the drive out to Redcliffe - about twenty bucks cheaper and twice as good, thanks god there are still a few people out there who can run a business without feeling the need to rip people off.

2. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Like Neil Young said "you pay for this and they give you that"

Indian Bros have a restaurant at Caboolture, may be closer than Redcliffe. Food is okay too.
    Dean

3. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Get onto a good meat supplies and then find a good fresh spice suppliers like
    www.herbies.com.au and make your own :)
    Heaps cheaper and you get some pretty good satisfaction :cool:
    I LUV CURRY

4. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I think Redcliffe is a touch closer and I don't mind a drive by the seaside!

5. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Will give that a whirl I think - Mrs Nikferatu is a dab hand in the kitchen so I think we should nail the right blend and then open our own restaurant to undercut the opposition... Should be millionaires by next Xmas.

6. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Obviously you will be including rice in the price :)
    Make it free papadams while your at it:lol:
    Can't lose!

7. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Mr singhs near the zamrudpur community centre does a good thali. All you can eat for about 70c. Rice included.

I've had it up to here with Indian food. Can't wait for Easter!

8. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Will have to remember to drop in next time I'm in the neighbourhood! I'd be that stoked to have the rice included as it should be that I'd probably tip them nearly 50% and round it up to a whole dollar!

9. MISS VDUB

MISS VDUB New Member

Trust me on this one, as i'm not an Indian lover but Bob got me onto them... go to Maharani's in Boondall. Nice and close for you. This place converted me into liking Indian...

2421 Sandgate Rd, Boondall
    (07) 3265 1411 ‎

It gets great reviews. Although the place doesn't look flash, its these places that usually have the best food. The wanky places always let you down. Customer service is great too.

Oh yeah... and the Rice is FREE!!!!!

10. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I think I've seen that while driving past and will definitely give them a go next time - thanks for the tip!

11. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

...and if you're ever in West End checkout Punjabi Palace..135 Melbourne St West End.
    the BEST Indian tucker in Brisbane.;)

12. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

This thread is a hive of information, looks like when I am in brissy in November I will be eating out everynight :)

13. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Indian food is actually a variety of regional cuisines - for example, flat breads are common in northern India whereas rice is much more popular in the south ... it may be that the lack of included rice reflects the origin of the restauranteurs.

In Melbourne, there are several good Indian restaurants - one of my favorites is the northern-style Cafe Saffron in Ivanhoe.

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

One of my favourites locally, is actually Fijian Indian cousine... ;)

15. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Our local is Fijian, and the other one I'm not sure - but both used to serve rice included in the price and now they both don't, so I don't think it reflects regional characteristics so much as the old dollar signs in the eyeballs problem. But duly noted Woz!

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

We've had people recommend Maharani's to us also - but never used them as we rarely have Indian so give them a try anyway.

17. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I guess I'm considered lucky in that we have the Taj Bengal up the road which has won heaps of prizes for Best Indian in Brisbane.

They do FREE rice, but it costs us at least $65 for 3 curries and a couple of naan breads. I guess the more prizes you get, the more things cost, but the food IS excellent. :)

18. Simon123

Simon123 New Member

Completely agree with you on that. There butter chicken is great! much better in my opinion than Miss India.

19. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

Indus in Paddington and way out in Chapel Hill - again, not the cheapest but delicious!!
    (Rice included;) )

I love Indian!

jon

20. vinny

vinny Active Member

singhs curry house, banyo
    the best curry in brisbane, has also won a lot of awards
    im not sure if the rice is included but its worth paying the bit extra as the quality of the curry is sensational- especially the vegie korma