1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Take-Away

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nikferatu, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

:lol: Sounds like you have the same option as we have here....make your own! With me not from choice but lack of choice.

I would be happy to pay for the rice if we could buy Indian. Fast food and decent eating places are few and far between when you live here.:cry:

2. MISS VDUB

MISS VDUB New Member

Hmmm the Rice hardly sounds free with that order Kyra? I say it's included in the price :eek:

3. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

True. We're lucky that we have so much to choose from. :)

Well, we have quite a lot of Indian fans on the KC. Can anyone feel a "Bollywood" night coming along? What have you started Nick!? :eek: :lol:

And Simon, I agree about the butter chicken at Taj Bengal. Excellent. Miss India's naan breads are better though, but the curries are too watery. We've been known to get our curries from Taj Bengal, and then stop in at Miss India to get the naans. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

4. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I circumvent the hassle of Indian food simply by food processing a KG of vegetables and injecting it directly to my veins and drinking a litre of oil and swalling a tablespoon full of salt and a sachet of chilli flakes. To ensure the full effect of authentic Indian cuisine, I usually leave a chicken wing on the windowsill overnight, then lick it after my meal.

I am often advised that my cynicism is unreasonable. These dishes, they say, have been perfected over thousands of years. I respond 'reckon it's time you invented a few more, then?'

With most things, when I find myself bucking the trends, I explore why. I've read books, done a few courses and talked with a lot of families. Most come to see my point - where is the innovation in Indian cuisine? Where, asides from subtle regional variations is the interest? And where's the bloody CRUNCH? Slop slop slop. I very often just buy a few apples and carrots just to munch.

In my view, it is a slimy, unimaginative cuisine where one restaurant to the next is exactly the same as one another. Don't get me wrong - I eat it all the time. But it's the same menu in every place, plus or minus the tandoor options. And if I come back in 250 years, it'll be the same menu, only with space chutney.

Truth is, no-one actually argues with me. Indians say - yeah, we're not very adventurous. Aussies say - yeah - I couldn't eat it every night. I just don't think I'm cut out for the texture and the buzz of a million spices. It is the culinary equivalent of brown. Throw it all in there and you get a sameness in every dish.

Bon appetit.

[/rant]

5. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

That's homesickness Wes. Maybe you need a job closer to home, or even Rome or Paris ...

Sounds like fun all round. :rolleyes:

note to self: don't suggest an Indian restaurant if going out with Wes .... :)

6. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Enjoy it while you can....yes it is oily..yes it is very simialr...but here we love the experience of difference...one day you will miss that food.

7. Dingostrategy

If I lived with a hole in my head, then had it mended, yes, I would some days miss that hole.

8. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

We really can't complain though. Today I had a meeting with a school that has only recent refugees. I heard about one mother who is single has 7 children and the government is stalling on payments...her children are going to school starving.....any food would be okay for them. These are the people we label as undesirables when all they want is safety, security, and regular meals.

9. Dingostrategy

10/4 trucker buddy. I totally hear you there.

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Glad I option for a more trad cuisine when you last visited Dingo.... ;)