1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing New Copper Exhaust Seals?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Aspudis, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Aspudis

Aspudis Member

Hi.
    Can anyone tell me if I need to anneal the oval shaped copper exhaust manifold seals/gaskets before installing them in the engine? If so how long do you heat them for? Do you just use a gas blow torch?

The mechanic I bought them off said they just go straight in as is?

Also, how do you get them to stay in place while you remount the heater boxes? They just keep falling straight out.

Thanks, Nathan

2. tintop

tintop Active Member

Hi Nathan, I don't anneal them (some people do). I keep mine in place with a wipe of 'permatex ultra copper' sticking them to the heater box. Patrick

3. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

When I replaced my heater boxes I installed them without annealing but they leaked so I removed them and annealed them and they sealed ok.

I used a little propane torch until they were red hot and let them air cool. I put a little bit of grease on them to make them stay in place on the heater box when I fitted them.

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with annealing. Heat up to cherry red then drop them in a bucket of cold water, or air cooling works as well. This is for non ferrous metals only as with ferrous you need them to cool slowly to anneal them.

Being softer they will bend to fit better with any unevenness with the port in the head and the manifold.

Adrian