1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing swivel bases

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bilckster, May 20, 2012.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

So, just bought 2 swivel bases for my 1982 Microbus but am missing the bottom base plates.

The part I'm missing is 251-801-296B highlighted with he red underline in the below image. Has anyone had any experience installing the swivels without this part? Do I need to make brackets or perhaps there's someone in Sydney that can install the seats for me to ensure they are compliant? Is it possible to buy these parts from anywhere?

[​IMG]

cheers

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I would imagine that the seats will not function without all 3 parts. The base section which you are missing I think is welded preferably but some bolt to the vehicle.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

4. bilckster

bilckster Member

Bugger...

I've read a couple things where people mention they've made a plate or a couple metal cross beams to support it but I wouldn't have the foggiest where to start.

Ouch, $300 a swivel is expensive.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Get in touch with Steve Muller (Kombi Rescue) has he has installed lots of them.

6. bilckster

bilckster Member

Cheers, I'll get in touch with Steve.

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I got my one from Steve a couple of years ago and I know he had at least one other there. Probably sold it off a while ago though but I am sure he could get you one.

8. Luckyphil

Hi Scott which seat do you have it attached to. Does it raise the seat base up much?

9. Syncro27

Phill,

Its my passenger seat and yes it does raise it up by around 30mm. Works well but because of the captains chair arm rests I need to open the door slightly to spin it around 180 degrees.

Im bringing the syncro to the Nationals so you can check it out yourself.

10. Luckyphil

Thanks Scott, I think if I raised my drivers seat 30mm it would be uncomfortable on a long drive but wouldnt be an issue on the passenger side

11. Syncro27

Exactly.

My boss thinks she is the "queen of the world" in the front of the syncro on this raised seat. Then she rapidly falls asleep - not much of a travelling companion.