1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance for our Kombi

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by The Fennemores, May 4, 2010.

1. Jackpot

Jackpot Member

I got my 79' insured with shannons on Monday with no trouble at all, very easy & straight forward phone call so maybe I was lucky
    She asked for market value & I quoted the $10K price I paid last week and when I mentioned I was just starting restoration she asked if I'd prefer $14,000 cover which I took
    It's also the lowest premium p.a. & excess I've ever had, in fact half the cost I'm now paying for my 2002/320,oookl subaru with AAMI that is insured for less
    maybe it's my senior years, which I'll take...they don't come with too many other advantages :)
    Good luck & maybe keep hanging up until you get a nice friendly female voice!

2. JonathanAdkins

JonathanAdkins New Member

We were with Allianz...they said the book value for 'Honey' was $3,000!!!
    We went with an agreed value of $25,000 (what we paid) with Shannon's.
    The bloke on the phone was great, we then swapped both of our cars to Shannon's.
    ;)

Jackpot likes this.
  3. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Shannons have been bought out by Suncorp. I have been with Shannon's for 25 years... but I think not much longer.

Wait on the phone for an hour ..

Get hit up the arse in your daily(polo 9n) .. young bloke wrecks your genuine VW tow bar. .. and spills your soft drink all over the interior on the hit .

Shannons. "Submit quote by Nov 18" All Email documented instruction.. rang back on November 26 " we don't have your quote" ... they. eventually found it. I use the tow bar for work. I think they are getting a debt collector for My lost time. . Im done with Shannon's.

grumble likes this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Our Shannons recent “House & Contents” increased premium renewal, was simply not competitive enough to accept…… :(

5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Not a good experience ... but Shannons have been under the Suncorp umbrella since 2007 (When Suncorp acquired Promina Group)

Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Ours went up 13% to $2,700/yr.
    Who did you go with @Grantus?
    Cheers

7. Grantus

I had 3 quotes around half the price of Shannons, and went with BudgetDirect, for no other reason than I don’t ever expect to have to go through a claims process.

The annoying bit is, it’s really a “lazy tax”. When I was with NRMA, the annual premiums kept increasing, banking on the fact that I would be too lazy to shop around, and just keep paying. It is a pain to do the research, and swap companies, and they should really look after their “loyal” customers, but they never do. :(

I contacted NRMA, before leaving, and offered them to match the Shannons quote, but they weren’t interested. Infact, a new customer to NRMA, could get a much better deal, than an existing long term customer with 7 policies!

The business model of insurance companies, really sucks!

I know “it pays to shop around”, but you really shouldn’t have to do it every couple of years, should you?…….. and that’s what they rely on! :mad:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    77/kombi/surfer and David H like this.
  8. David H

Apparently that's the way in the 'new world'.

77/kombi/surfer likes this.
  9. Grantus

The longer and more loyal you are to insurance companies, telco’s, gas or electricity suppliers, the more you pay to subsidise their cheap offerings to new customers.

They don’t seem to care how many customers they lose, it’s all about how many new customers they attract each year! o_O

I still thinks it sucks, ‘new world’ or not! :p

Spend the time, and be a “New Customer” as often as you need too….to be charged a more realistic amount.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    77/kombi/surfer likes this.
  10. David H

Middle aged girl has a job selling cheaper electricity to people. Getting "new customers".
    I agree with your comments.
    I signed with her & that brought it down $100/quarter.
    'Change' to keep our supplier 'on their toes'!
    A lot of solar helped that as I got a reasonable 'feed in rate'!
    Cheers

11. Grantus

It should be regulated, but isn’t. As soon as it gets outrageous, the “regulators” do nothing, and just advise to shop around for a better deal. :mad:

Wastes everyone’s time…….. but the only way in the ‘new world’ :(

12. David H

"Churn" is how it works as the providers 'compete':(.
    It's up to you to stay 'on top' of your situation;).
    Cheers

13. Grantus

Electricity prices are heading down in almost all states in the future……..except for the ACT, where prices will still increase.

Why? Because we are now proudly using 100% renewable energy. One would think the saving of not having to buy fossil fuels to burn, and zero bill for sun, wind, and hydro water, would lead to an even bigger price drop, but NO!

The payments for the cost of the now 100% renewable infrastructure will be added to our bills for years to come. :confused:

I’m sure that wasn’t what was revealed in the “future green plan” for that ‘new world’….. o_O

At least we only emitting dollars from our bank account, and not CO2 into the atmosphere, which should make us feel good……. But somehow it just doesn’t. :(

14. David H

Dollars for CO2!
    Pay up;)
    At least you can rego as needed so that adds to the green!
    Cheers

15. Grantus

Bottom line is, vehicles are still with Shannons, until we have the policies long enough, that the increased costs go the way their add on house & contents policies go, and it become obvious to shop around and become a “new customer”, to get an attractive cheaper deal with another insurance company.

16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

…..and keep in mind that cheaper does not always equate to better…particularly with insurance.
    Read any and all conditions/fine print before you jump ship.
    You could be in for a nasty shock if you have to claim.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus and grumble like this.
  17. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

i read an interesting story yesterday with a shannons customer whos 75 ute was stolen.
    The car was not found after the required time and shannons paid out the policy value. A week later they found his car.
    He spoke to shannons and said could he have his car back and refund the money they paid him.
    Answer was no! He explained to them he has been a loyal customer for years and put a lot of his time and money getting the car the way he like it!
    Now he has to find out if the car is going to auction and try and try to buy it back possibly paying more than he was paid out.
    Work that one out? Would of been better off getting into a car crash an getting to keep his car and getting the payout.

Wayne murray, David H and Syncro27 like this.
  18. 1500king

Thanks folks. Have a few cars.. low mile 1965 type 3 factory panelvan(40,000 miles) , the 67 euro factory black bug, all my bays ( ex Telecom panel, Dad's 76 micro, another 76 micro, my 73 westy. ).. few more.. 412 LS private import with all the optioned fruit, rest are projects... 85 sunroof caravelle

19. 1500king

This discussion needs to be had. I got back info from Shannon's suncorp assessor..... $255 labour to remove a VW polo rear bumper , renew factory tow bar and replace?

What decade was that in?

They have tried to scare me ..with " in line with industry standards".

Naturally, being qualified and connected, I have reciprocated with " please detail YOUR 'industry standards' ". I expect an answer. Clock is ticking and debt collector is getting itchy.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  20. 1500king

Only if you accept it

rstucke and oldman like this.