1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insuring With Shannons

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, May 9, 2010.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Phill, I found the best way was to get a Shannons guy to look at my car in person at a show they had a stand at. They come over with a clip board, write things down, give you a figure and then the form gets sent off to head office but the valuation increase starts straight away.

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That'll be plan "B".

A few years ago I had the Doka valued at the Nats for $20000. I didn't take them up on it.
    The next year I decided to go with Shannons and a girl came over to look at it and the valuation that I received in the mail was for about $10000. This year they said $25000 and that's what I got in the mail.
    The syncro is in much better condition than the Doka.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Goes to show Phill, all in who you talk to :eek:

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I sent an email off to Shannons with lots of photos and a copy of the VWMA article and explained that the average price (market value) of a syncro is low because most of the syncros in Australia are ex-Telstra and in poor condition. I've just received an email back and they have agreed on $28000.:)

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you got what you wanted then effort worth it ;)

6. Vormamim

Vormamim New Member

Shannons is Sun Corp. Things changed ... like try getting a GENUINE windscreen (under the 1 free screen a year deal). Not gonna happen sadly. Still better than other options, but Shannons is no longer the 'enthusiasts friend' it once was IMHO.

7. Kombi Kay

Kombi Kay Member

I have stayed with CIL for this year....Shannon's were willing to up the value by 3 1/2 K without a written valuation but the premium almost doubled and the excess with CIL is $200- Shannon's is $500-....didn't sound like a good deal to me.

8. Olive

Olive New Member

We have used a company in Qld called Ryno Insurance which is underwritten by Lloyds of London. They were recommended years ago to us by a car enthusiast & have found them to be cheaper & easier to deal with than the bigger companies. Havent had to make a big claim but trust they perform well when needed.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You have probably jumped a price category there. Make sure that CIL is agreed value.

10. 73kombi

73kombi Active Member

I Have gone with Shannons this year, Agreed value of $35k, sight unseen, $750 excess( due to my paint choice) was given the option of a higher value but need to furnish photos to them first, am paying the insurance monthly @ $62.50/mnth. I am happy with the resultat this stage.

11. Vormamim

Vormamim New Member

Clarifying: I've got 5 cars with Shannons, never tried to claim, so overall, figure the cost is great. Just not happy I can't have a real Afla windscreen with a real badge in the glass. Given the 10 years of business, it felt a bit cheap.

12. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Had some work done on mine just before rego and spoke with Shannons for insurance renewal, he told me to give him the figure I wanted to insure for, I said $12k and yep done no questions asked. Considering the first guy last year would not negotiate anything above purchase value ($5.5k) it definitely depends who you talk to.

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

When I contacted Shannons about my 88 syncro camper they told me they don't do campers????

Hence, mine is with CIL.

Did you tell Shannons your T3 is a camper?

I had no issue with the early bay microbus I had and Shannons paid out without question when I was rammed up the ass in Beryl.

After the resto they reinsured for the double the value with only a few photos - no trouble...

I wonder how NRMA Classic are?

14. shaven

shaven Active Member

Has anyone kept a name of the person they have spoken to where their insurance has been increased by them???

15. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

Yes Shaven
    If you attach a description of a list of improvements and some snaps to
    nswsales@shannons.com.au
    Attention Matt
    Worked for us after speaking to him on the phone first
    Good luck
    Kim

16. Miss Rosie

Miss Rosie Member

I am with Shannons and have an agreed value policy with salvage rights.Has anyone here ever had to exercise salvage rights?How does it work?

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

when insurance pay out for a total unrepairable or economic [cost of repair above what the cars deemed to be worth] writeoff the wreck becomes their property.

often it is then sent to a wrecker for agreed scrap value or sent to auction if a repairable write off.
    sometimes the customer could ask to purchase the wreck.

in the case you mention above, the vehicle either remains your property or you have the right to purchase it at a fixed [low] amount.
    Likely it remains yours automatically but I haven't dealt with shannons or with insurance professionally for many years so ask shannons for details.
    they will be happy to answer your questions

likely someone on kc will have up to date experience . But experiences may differ depending on circumstances so its good to get an exact answer from the 'horses mouth' and in relation to your policy.

Miss Rosie likes this.
  18. markturnip

markturnip New Member

Hey. I was previously insured with AAMI. But am currently not insured!!

I own a 82 T3. Is Shannons still the go for insurance options?

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Might need to push them that you are an enthusiast and its an enthusiasts vehicle.
    Have heard of some people having issues with a '3' as the phone jock seemed to regard it[camper] in same vein as a t5 grey nomad vehicle
    But have talked to local shannons rep and he said no problem.

20. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

NRMA V&V will definitely insure T3s. Also no problem insuring campers either (I have a '71 camper insured with them). But mileage is limited (9000km per year) and stowage is confined to a lock up but you can usually talk them around on that (well I know of at least 2 people who did)...

So I can't see that Shannons would not insure a t3 at an enthusiasts rate. Which reminds me I need to get my own T3 onto something like that.