1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insuring With Shannons

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, May 9, 2010.

1. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Funny I ensured through Shannons today. Got what I wanted for initial agreed value (resto) and the decider was salvage rights if written off.
    Something that crept into the conversation. Shannons do not ensure your vehicle if it is used as a camper (ie used for camping in). That has to go through their sister company (CIL) and they do not have the salvage right option. I think some of you have told them porkies in order to ensure with them which might be a prob when making a claim.
    Can anyone throw light on this or has anyone been refused a claim because of this?
    The lady I spoke to was quite adamant about classic car ownership as apposed to any vehicle used as a camper/motor home no matter how old.
    Once I start using my camper I'm going to have to switch insurers.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Never heard that one Rick....
    My bus is listed on the Shannons Policy docs. as a Camper/mobile home.......so don't quite understand that ?
    Always been honest with their questions..
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Used my resto thread as the method of increasing insurance value so if they didn't see it as a camper it's their faulto_O.
    Maybe they're talking about 'loss' from when it's used as a camper?
    Now I'm worried with that gas inside!
    I have found that sometimes 'on the day' the attending 'expert' is not so.
    Cheers

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I always thought it had to do with the gas inside that affected the coverage and classification as a camper.

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Are you meant to have a smoke alarm in as well? You think they would still insure you but the premium is higher due to the risk involved as a camper.

6. rstucke

I don't know. I'm wondering if it is a recent change in how they insure and existing policies are not affected.
    I couldn't get a reason why, just told if it was used as a camper then I would have to deal with CIL a sister company which would be ok except no salvage rights.
    Wattie mentioned RYNO insurance being good. I wonder if they have the salvage right clause

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Most don't:(
    Making no sense for me:confused:. Deal with the 'sister company' for what? (the fries) Just the inside if it burns? I just want an insurance company to insure my vehicle:D!
    May be a new thing Rick but risk & opportunity are the same for the one unit.;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

CIL sort of has salvage rights, but you have to pay what they think it's worth.

If you wish to purchase the salvage of your vehicle we will give you first option to buy the salvage at the price established by an auction or salvage company agreed to by both of us. If you purchase the salvage of your vehicle we will contribute up to $1,000 towards moving your vehicle to your residence or a place of your choice.

http://www.cilinsurance.com.au/site...me-insurance-product-disclosure-statement.pdf

What they mean with Shannons is that if you go off road, ie a camping site, then you are not on a public road and not insured.

rstucke likes this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes. Anywhere with a bed is required to have a smoke alarm. When the law first came out, tents were included. I don't know if that has changed.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sort of blows the ar$s out of their TV advertisement with the VW Camper, GT Falcon etc when they use it to get away for the weekend/holidays :eek::oops::rolleyes:

11. rstucke

Thanks for that info
    you would think Shannons and CIL would have explained the above.
    I had a long conversation with both and came away thinking their insurance wasn't quite right for me.
    CIL neglected to tell me about buy back rights (there might still be a prob with statutory write off. i.e. unable to be reregistered)
    Shannons said if it's for camping they wouldn't insure it and it needed to go to CIL.
    I guess as David said "the attending experts" may not be
    I'll be looking closely at both product disclosures. That'll make for some exciting and interesting reading (not)

Does anyone know where to find the written info on smoke alarms and when they have to be fitted?
    Is it when there's a bed, or a gas bottle, or any cooker (gas, metho), or registered as a motor home/camper?
    And are there small discrete units available or does it have to be one of those round ugly suckers that herald the apocalypse when they go off in a small space ?

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Seems there has been a constant issue over this and been somewhat dependent who you get on the Shannon's end.
    Think they need to sort their act and give some training to staff re kombis.
    I spoke to a Shannon's agent localy who said no issue.
    Naturally I have lost his card :rolleyes:

A definition of ' camper' as distinct from a van with bed and cupboards has been
    ' fitted with sink and cooker'.

Will look for written definitions.

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It's a bed. I have seen the written info, but it was a few years ago. You only need a $5 battery one from Bunnings. Just hang it from a hook when you are sleeping/camping.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Shannon's PDS does not indicate a separate classification for campers.
    It states ' motor vehicle'.
    It also includes cover for classic caravans.
    All vehicles over 35 years old used for recreational purposes.
    Page 9 of PDS.

Intresting that you are not covered for weddings , formals etc unless it is noted on policy.

Under age 25 drivers suffer no additional excess in vehicles over
    35 yo.

rstucke likes this.
  15. rstucke

16. rstucke

Thanks for that cbus, I'm getting more sense from the forum than the insurers.

Here's a scenario. I'm camped by a river (lets say near Tathra) and a fire comes through and I can't get the vehicle out but am able to save myself (no point worrying if not)
    I wonder if Shannons would cover the loss
    I know contents with shannons is only $500 (as told to me by their representative). When I put this to them is when I was told they didn't insure campers and was transferred to CIL (who said it would be fully covered)
    I was also told the only caravans they insured were the tear drop types so that hot roders could camp in them at showso_O.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If you go back through all of threads here you will see that if you speak to two different representatives from Shannons, you are liable to get to different answers. I just kept contacting them until they gave me the answer that I wanted.:)

As far as the representatives go that are at car shows etc., I don't know what training that they get but I was offered that position a couple of years ago. I would know bugger all about that type of thing. So they may not be your first point of contact for the more technical questions.

Maybe you need to be a little "creative" with your explanations? "Is that a campervan"? "It's a Volkswagen Adventurer II"

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I went off this which likely you already checked.
    https://www.shannons.com.au/library/documents/Motor_Insurance_PDS.pdf

I would ( do) regard call centre staff's insistence re definitions of what is covered as worthless going by previous variability and that people who have declared campers being accepted.
    Appears a considerable number of call centre staff
    ( sub species : English speaking)
    are likely spawn if one Jack S.

P43 indicates no penalty on under 25yo drivers in event if floods, bushfires .

There are no exclusions for camping or bushfire.
    Around p 38.

P 14 States covered for accidental loss or damage within Au .
    Exclusions are if damaged by owner, racing events, un roadworthy factors contributing, act of war. P 38 ish.

Camping comes under their accepted recreational use in my opinion.
    No exclusions for bushfire but be careful when carrying radioactive materials. P 38
    I would expect ionising radiation in fire alarms excluded. ;)

David H and rstucke like this.
  19. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I ended up buying a mint condition Mk IV Golf for my daughter to drive for less than $4k and have it on third party only with another insurer

20. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I haven’t heard anything about CIL for campers but we have just had a really bad experience with them for our caravan. Took them oveg6 mths to repair it and we are still waiting on a part!
    We changed to QBE yesterday and today I decide if we will change the Kombis to NRMA as they are $500 cheaper (over the 3 we have) and offer free roadside assist. NRMA also offer free salvage rights
    (This is in Qld.)

shaven likes this.