1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insuring With Shannons

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, May 9, 2010.

1. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi Mouse
    Out of interest - whose bus on the CC?

2. Mouse

Mouse Member

Hi Friedo. Chris is the current owner (for a couple more days) until I can pick her up from Kariong. Martini Olive green 75 camper for the color but I'm color deficient (never liked being classed as color blind).

Cheers

Mouse

3. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Just got a quote from Shannons for the 67 Deluxe, $30k .. not sure this will cover replacement, the previous owner also had it covered for $30k . At least it's a fair bit more than i payed for it. The fact that i can get the wreck back and hopefully salvage engine and running gear will make up the difference. The premium is less than my 20yo nissan patrols, nice.

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Had a talk with the Shannon Reps at the VW Action Day on Sunday re premiums as my 73 was cheaper by miles than the 90 based on same value and usage explained the age is the thing so 60's cheaper than 70's cheaper than 80's cheaper than 90's :eek:

5. Barf

Barf New Member

Shannon's didn't want anything to do with me, having it locked in the backyard didn't cut it , I need a garage.

6. Wayde611

Wayde611 New Member

Just rang shannon's about my 76 bay camper and there first question was has it got a kitchenet. I replyed yes although its all 12volt and 240. No gas. There responce was that they couldn't insure me. Rang AAMI and CIL whome had the same responce. Any idea who else I could go through???

7. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I have a '71 camper insured with NRMA Vintage & Veteran. Did not ask me for details about the set up. I just told them it was a camper van and what I wanted it insured for. But restrictions are 8000km pa and locked up so if it's daily driver parked on the street they won't accept it.

But I'm sure there are people out there with campers insured with Shannon's...

8. Rach

Rach Member

Have to say, Shannon's gave me the run around, all chummy until they asked me where I was going to keep it...hmm seems if you don't garage it, they won't insure it. One of the reasons I got a newer van, anyways I'm happy with Mersey:)

9. Barf

Barf New Member

I ended up getting insurance from Just cars They gave me no dramas like Shannons and they are pretty cheap .

10. Wayde611

Wayde611 New Member

Hey guy's thanks for the help. Rang Just cars and they said ring the ombubsmen ( if thats how you spell it) about finding someone. My car is garaged all the time and under lock and key. Just spent 30k rebuilding it from scratch, don't want to loose it. Will give NRMA and GIO a call on monday and let you all know how i end up.. Thanks again.

11. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I've just hade a quote done for mine, locked behind a side gate is fine for me.. i was clear that i didn't have a garage, you had better call again ??

12. Rach

Rach Member

If you don't have any luck with the mainstream insurers, try the caravan insurance people, I'm sorry I can't remember the name but I'm sure a google will find it, they will insure for whatever price it's worth as long as it has food prep area and fridge...they don't care where you keep it either.

13. Gregar

Gregar New Member

I went with Shannons and it didn't seem to matter that mine wasn't garaged, i told them it would just be in the driveway. Seems i had to prove i was a 'car enthusiest', he wasn't even going to give me a quote if i didn't get past that step.....

14. cwilliams1

cwilliams1 New Member

I have only recently insured mine with Lumley Special vehicles. They were a pleasure to deal with, the cheapest and insured the van for the most.

15. terbear

terbear Member

I just tried to get a quote from Lumley and they wouldn't quote because I slept in my kombi, they say it was used for camping even though it is in NO way set up as a camper except for a rock'n'roll bed.

16. malibu

malibu Member

Rach was referring to Ken Tame & Assoc who i was with for many years but have changed to Shannons for my '75 camper.Insured for 8k for less excess than Ken Tame quoted.Ken Tame would only insure for $3200.00.Found Shannons to be easy to deal with.

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thats fair enough Terri.
    When you are sleeping in the vehicle that chance of it getting stolen is almost ziltch. So there is no fun for the insurers???
    I can understand if you had a gas bottle in there.

18. terbear

terbear Member

Me too Brad... but rock'n'roll bed only...

19. Wayde611

Wayde611 New Member

Hey guys just got insured buy elders 30k for $650.00 a year. With what i just went through they were a god sent. Need to ask about keeping the car though, forgot that question was too happy they said yes. Can't thank them enough. Cheers guys and thanks heaps for your help.

20. aldokombi1

aldokombi1 New Member

hey i had mine insured with GIO and they pushed me to shannons... (same company) but i think i lost he option to keep the kombi if it was damaged and writen off ..i had that with gio ..
    couldnt bear to think of giving up the kombi no mater what condition ...cheers