1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal Surfboard Storage

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Guy Underwood, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Guy Underwood

Guy Underwood New Member

Hello all,

I am heading up the coast in Elsie May (1974 PopTop camper) at Xmas and was wondering if anyone had a storage solution to carry the boards in the back so I can still have passengers.

I've looked at some older threads and can't seem to find any solutions.

Thanks in advance

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

There have a been solutions put up over the years :rolleyes: ...... think one involved brackets fixed at the rain gutter line inside & the board(s) strapped in ;) ..... not sure how you would get on if the fun(s) weren't removable ..... length of boards would also be a determining factor o_O

3. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

My 6ft Mctavish Sumo tucks up in the pop top just nice. The nose goes in the rear sliding shelf section and I use an occy strap across the other end. My 9ft longboard is another story though. Im keen to get a 10ft board but may need roof racks for trips away.

4. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

10'6" sup does not fit in a Notchback! Doubt it will even fit in the Squareback. Or the Low light if I ever get it on the road. Thankfully roof racks work.;)

KahunaKombi likes this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a Sopru and my short board, 6’7”, fits in above eyeline by putting the nose in the rear shelf and the tail supported by a bicycle inner tube and two carabiners suspended from the pop top lift handles. Works really well and is in a cover too.... day to day sees it sitting on the rnr laid down, on top of my 9’6” Keyo. Nose of the longboard is supported by a simple bracket bent up out of aluminium rod hanging from the tall cupboard behind the driver’s seat.
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. Guy Underwood

Guy Underwood New Member

Thanks all for the feedback. Been a bit distracted as an old bloke reversed his Prado into the front of Elsie May the other day. :-(

I will post some photos with whatever solution I put in place.

Merry Christmas

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about that.....hopefully sorted in due course...bad time of year time wise o_O
    Hopefully your Christmas will get better .
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That’s a real bummer.

Hopefully not too much damage

9. Guy Underwood

Guy Underwood New Member

Dear All,

I went with the boards hanging from the pop top. I can fit my 6'8" board in and may even be able to get a mini mal in as well.

Thanks again

Guy

oldman and Barry like this.