1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

international parts stores

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by kr.au, Jul 19, 2021.

1. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Hi everyone. Am getting towards the end of my restoration of my 75 late bay single cab (with a 2ltr T4 "CJ" engine out of a '76 camper) and being held up by a few parts that I can't find in Aus.
    In particular:
    • cooling boot for the alternator
    • differential Sump Gasket (Auto trans)
    • auto gearbox strainer/filter and gasket
    • rubber elbows for the short pipe that goes from the left hand carb to the air intake
    • a few other bits and pieces.
    Any advice on international parts suppliers?

Heritage Parts in the UK seem to have most things. Has anyone used them?
    https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/volkswagen/type-2-bay.html

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Many use them.
    Pretty quick delivery.

kr.au likes this.
  3. Wiz

Wiz Active Member

Double check whether or not they have the parts in stock - order will be held until all parts are available.
    >$250 for free postage.
    PR

cbus, Mordred and kr.au like this.
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If they have the parts and they are the correct parts then fine. If anything goes wrong they are very hard to contact. They do not reply to emails and their catalogues are wrong. No warranty.

I have had good and bad experiences with them.

kr.au likes this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Volksdoktor, Just Kampers Aus., Bus Stop, Mick Motors, Vintage VW Supplies are all Australian based and stock a huge array of parts.
    Everyone has their preferred supplier and most buy from several companies depending on parts availability.
    Problem with overseas Co.s, in my opinion, is the shipping.....time, costs and delays can be really frustrating.
    Another way 'round this issue is to use someone you know already OS and have them ship to you.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

syncro likes this.
  6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I have had many discussions over email with them and as long as you allow for a few days between replies it is ok. Good experiences overall and amazingly quick delivery. Sometimes their online stock levels are a little behind what is on the shelf, so be prepared for a wait if something is actually out of stock but saying available on the site. You can drop the item, and then they will send separately.

$250 and above is free shipping (dependant on size so huge items are exempt), so worth adding a few bits and pieces if you are close. Oil filters are German OEM ones and around $15 each so worth throwing a few in and some oil change kits for the plate under the engine, as well as some rocker cover gaskets etc to push it over the $250 limit. You will use them. Other spares good to have are accelerator cables and clutch cables (not in your case it seems).
    Prices are quoted without GST which adds 10%, but still very competitive.

For a delivery example, ordered the same day form Brisbane and England to Hobart. 6 days later English one was delivered in the morning and the Brisbane one at lunch time.

Adrian

kr.au, Wiz, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Also warranty.

kr.au and oldman like this.
  8. farquire

farquire Active Member

waiting for a order from heritage at the moment min spend for free delivery is now 350,waiting on parts on backorder,$700 plus order but they don't seem interested in splitting the order and getting the parts out ,bit frustrating and communication is a bit slow

kr.au likes this.
  9. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I’ve always found heritage fantastic to deal with. I don’t wait on emails I just call them in the UK if I have an issue and they have always sorted any issue quickly and efficiently. Delivery pre covid was through DHL and usually faster than a domestic parcel. I haven’t ordered from them post covid so can’t comment on that.

kr.au likes this.
  10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Got to admit I am not a fan now of Heritage

this is my story...........

After a new muffler for my T3.
    they had 2 Vintage Speed listed (WC251604 & WC251616) but only one said it was suitable for MV code.
    Both are listed as "in stock"
    They are both still listed on their website

When I asked for clarification this is the answer I got (and that took about a week to get to me.)

"Thanks for your enquiry unfortunately WC251604 is discontinued. WC251616 is for MV engines and is special order from Vintage speed with a 16 week lead time to us plus another 2 weeks to you."

Glad I didn't just click and pay or they would have sat on it for almost 5 months for something that was "in stock"

Ended up going direct to Vintage Speed and got it in under 3 weeks

kr.au and syncro like this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I will probably use them again at some stage but only after all other options have been tried. Why should I put up with poor service?

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

The answer is to call them I suppose - but my phone set up doesn't allow free international calls to GB
    Plus the time difference is an issue.

And that is not the point of a website.

Would have though if it was no longer available - you wouldnt list it as, well - "in stock"

Whatever............. I have other choices.
    Just they are not one of them for me.

oldman and syncro like this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

We should be buying from Australian parts sellers.
    Bust Stop
    Micks Motors
    Just Kampers
    Das Resto
    VolksDoktor
    Vintage Vee Dub Supplies
    Penrose
    Tooleys
    VWA
    and I am sure there are others.

Keep Australians in business.

kr.au likes this.
  14. farquire

farquire Active Member

Maybe they monitor kombiclub ,this mornings email order has been split and is on its way :)

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

That , along with their habit of now matching au prices on an increasing amount of product , will reduce my sourcing from them somewhat.

Mordred and syncro like this.