1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro from Markus

Discussion in 'New Members' started by KombiMadness, Dec 31, 2010.

1. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, a brief intro from moi...

Have owned 3 Kombi's in the past - 2 x Bay's and 1 x lowlight (also a number of beetles and one fastback); but that was a long time ago. I am on the hunt to buy my 4th and there's heaps of good info here, the memories are flooding back and I just can't shake the fact that Kombi's are truly unique and I want one in my life again...

It's New Years Eve - a time to reflect, a time to ponder the coming year. I thought that was a good time to submit this post... Happy New Year to you all...

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Markus. Good luck in your search.

3. KombiMadness

Kombi #4

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1975 Microbus with 1800 propulsion unit, err, engine. Drove her home today (2 hour trip) and soon it was just like 26 years ago which was the last time I drove a Kombi :p

Loose steering (actually the steering is pretty tight for an old Kombi), drum brakes that don't work too well, sloppy gear shifting, petrol gauge that works when it feels like it, hot as hell with no aircon - just the way I like it!! It's a Kombi and I wouldn't have it any other way :heart:

Brief history:KC regulars and Gurus already know this bus. I bought it from KC member Emby (Matt). His resurrection of this bus from its 10 year paddock 'rest' to blue slip, rego and Birdsville or Bust trip is chronicled in detail below...

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=30505

Slowly but surely I will cut out rust and bogged bits and replace with metal, replace windows with sliders and new rubber all round and get my brother to respray her (pretty cool when your bra is a Spray Painter by trade!). Full sandblast resto and 2300cc performance bore kit would be nice but I don't have $20K just hanging about :(

So, I'll start with the above and go from there. My 17 y.o. son is pretty stoked I bought the bus - he's already planning trips away with his mates.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance...

Kombi Madness for sure - 'cause you've gotta be mad to buy a 36 year old VW Bus, doncha? Well, if the shoe fits.... :lol:

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Well done on your new purchase - that feeling is priceless isn't it?

5. Seany

Seany Member

It was about a month ago that I was driving my just bought 1800cc 75 Micro home on a 2 hour drive with a stupid grin on my face. Great feeling.

6. crave

crave New Member

Good to see my old hunting ground in the Illawarra have another Kombi in their midst !!!

7. emby

emby Active Member

Glad to see you got it home Markus. I must admit to being nervous. Not that there was anything wrong...it's just you never know with kombi's when something unexpected is gonna fail on ya (that's why I carry around a whole kombi of spares). Hope it all went well and you enjoy your "new" ride.

One thing to remember when doing up a kombi ..... take lots of pics and put them up here. I'd love to see the rejuventation of that bus.

All the best with it :D

8. KombiMadness

Hey Matt, We got home fine. Had a couple of interesting bits with 1st and 2nd gear not cooperating but otherwise all went well.

She zoomed down the M7 like an old pro - which of course she is. Made it back for 3pm school pick up of our 8 y.o. He insisted I come get him in the 'new' Kombi and of course I obliged. Then my 17 y.o. wanted to go for a drive - I took him around the block all the while explaining that an 'old' car like this has to driven empathetically; in other words, no ABS disc brakes, steering position and feel is very different and gear changes have to be 'felt' - I then suddenly pulled over and said "you drive". He looked at me with disbelief (he's still on his L's). I said "go on, get behind the wheel". Nice to see the 'Kombi' smile come across his face as he popped the clutch... :)

9. emby

emby Active Member

Good to hear. Funny how that smile comes over your face when you get behind the wheel.

The first and second gear issue is a simple fix. I may have not tightened the bolts properly when I adjusted the plate last. Sounds like it's slipped back a bit. The two bolts on the bottom of the gear stick just need a slight loosen (probably half a turn) then, with a flat blade screw driver, push the plate underneath over to the left a smidge (left is from the driver's side). It should sort that out.

There's a thread on here and one which I posted on last week when I was tinkering with Eric's plate. I put a qucikshift in at the same time on Eric and it made a heap of difference cos now I don;t bank my knuckles on the handbrake leaver when I put him into first (I have an extension piece on my gear stick)

10. KombiMadness

OK, sounds good. Even I can do that.

Funny about banging your knuckles when shifting to 1st, I was doing it all yesterday. I don't remember banging my knuckles 26 years ago :p but then, I don't remember a lot of things 26 years ago!:lol:

So where did you source the quick shifter?

11. emby

emby Active Member

Yeah, sorry about that. It's got the extension gear shift knob on it. I have short arms :eek:

I think I got the quick shift plate off Roy, but I can't find it on the Bus Stop website anymore. Try giving him a ring to see if he has one. Other than that there are a few places to try. Classic Vee-Dub has them and they're also on some e-bay shops.

12. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

13. KombiMadness

Cheers Don. Nice spot Kiama...

I'll try and adjust the plate and go from there.