1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing Percy - 76 Bay Sopru Camper - Adelaide

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by DanSA, Jun 3, 2013.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Hi All.

Thought it was about time i made a page for Percy to follow his journey, and ours..

After a long search including 4 other buses, we had almost lost hope of finding anything decent in our (small) budget. We we after something that could be used immediately to do more camping with the kids, but also serve as a long term resto project for me to get my teeth into, whilst hopefully being a good learning experience for the kids too. I was after something original, late Bay, with some good history..

Just as I was packing up to go on my daughters Camp to the Flinders Ranges, he popped up for sale :) I phoned the seller and made an appointment to have a look with my wife. Said daughter had a dance performance in the city all day, so what was a bit more stress? :) We dropped her off and headed to take a look.

Have to say it immediately felt right after the others I had seen. The seller was genuine, a lovely lady who had him for 13 yrs. He was her 4th Kombi too, and the lone she had the longest. She had a change in circumstances and it was finally time to let him go. We took him for a drive and were sold. A price was agreed on, deposit paid, and late that day, thanks to the wonders of same day EFT, I made it back down the hill again and drove him home! :)

So , a bit about him..

He's a 1976 Campermobile, factory conversion by Sopru in Martini Olive. He is complianced to seat 4, although currently only has the one 3-point belt in the back. The fitout is all there, and appears to be all original. We have all the books, and a lot of service history which is nice.

Some pictures of him in his new home:

Under the carport and out of the rain, getting to know Megs.
    P1050554.jpg

70's Orange and curtains! :)
    P1050553.jpg

Will be removing rear tow bar and nudge bar. Bumpers will be repainted white, with black deluxe strip.
    P1050549.jpg

Couple of dings to fix..
    P1050546.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Jethro likes this.
  2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

and some more:

Door cards and window winders all good
    P1050550.jpg

Has had an impact to the front, will need some work here in future
    P1050534.jpg

Complianced for 4 :)
    P1050529.jpg

Original paint code?
    P1050527.jpg

Very civilised..
    P1050522.jpg

3. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Last ones for now:

Definitely some rust and bog in here, will be the first panel project..
    P1050508.jpg

Another battle scar
    P1050512.jpg

Elephant ears added for improved cooling?
    P1050513.jpg

OEM Books and history, with receipts back to 2000
    P1050562.jpg

Attached Files:

4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

On the hit list so we can go camping soon are:

Fit new seat belt to rear bench seat. - Would really like another 3 point belt like th eother, but the cupboards may prevent this. Going down to Wilshire to see what they can do.
    Replace front seats with T3 items as a temp fix. - Old ones are completely shot.. Taking a look at some tomorrow.
    Fix Horn - no worky..
    Replace ball joints on steering arms - the wander on the freeway is a bit scary..
    Check Gas, 12V and 240V systems - to make sure they are safe
    Source some slats for the upper bunk - found, just need to picjk em up. :)
    Fix heater - Its cold!

5. blacknstormy

blacknstormy Member

Wow - Percy looks fantastic !!!! I remember the orange, was the same in mine ;) :)
    And how lucky are you to have good door cards !!! :) He's gorgeous :)

6. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

7. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Just 4 months older than Molly.. :)

At least I have a target of where to get Percy too now, yours has given me lots of food for thought.

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Someone was after one of those rear bars just recently.
    I agree with removal. Quite a list to work thru! Enjoy the ride.

9. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

I haven't even scratched the list yet!

I probably shouldn't mention the rear drum manual adjusters that have siezed, the front pads that need changing, the hirline fracture in the steering coupling, the sliding door bushes that need replacing, the broken skylight that needs replacing and re-hinging, the exterior gas cover that needs reapairing, and the rust - in the sliding door, under the lino in the front, around the gutters, around the windscreen and the big ding in the front that is hidden by the wheel and roo bar but probably hiding a multitude of sins..............i could go on...

Its all in the journey tho right? :)

10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Percy underwent some cosmetic surgery yesterday, revealing a previous meeting with a stationary object... (seller told me about it tho)

No structural damage that I can see, but will be challenging to fix..

Must have removed about 100kg of steel, he'll feel like a spring chicken! :)

P1050577.jpg

P1050579.jpg

P1050594.jpg

11. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Whilst i was under there I removed the pan and had a look at the heater hoses and horn. Said hello to the resident redback that had made his home there, and let him be.

Heater hose was loose, and when i pulled it off the pipe had 4 shells in it! WTF?? amazing how these could have got in there ??

View attachment 17351

Also interesting to note how the right side chassis member has elaborate punchings in the beam to save weight, and the left has different style punching. Would this be intentional do you think? or different product runs? love all these odd things...

View attachment 17352

View attachment 17353

View attachment 17354

12. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

looks like a nice honest bus.

spray a bit of penetrol on any rust and a light wipe and it will hold for quite a while.
    none of the jobs sound too bad and it will be satisfying sorting them at your own pace.

should give many years of family fun and memories :)

cheers
    col

14. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Noted. Will try and find some Penetrol tomorrow.

Thanks Col

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Spose i should add.
    I drown any sus spots so that it has enought to penetrate. wash out any dirt from places like battery trays and wheel arches /sills etc. dry area and join then hit every seam with a good amount. up into any cavity you find and inside sills n over wheel arches inside the engine bay. door cards off n get it into seams n under the rib on the inside of door where it runs over the dog leg. its a double panel of sorts there and no one gets into it. it may take a fair bit so a lanolin spray may be cheaper in spots like that .

neither product will hurt paint

lanolin is also good for under window rubbers if theres any sign of rust. dont use penetrol there as it sets like an alkyd paint and will glue the rubber in.
    If you cant find a straight lanolin then lanox with lanolin is ok.
    This would benifit from sprays each 6 months or so if using lannox

if penetrol is exposed to strong sunlight it tends to degrade in about 6 months.
    interior applications last years.

Neither cause any issues for future repair work or painting.

I prefer either [depending on application] over fishoil as it lasts better and has same degree of capillary action and rust inhibiting as fishoil.

All good insurance and will reduce deteriation even if only done once

cheers
    col

16. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

New upper bunk slats courtesy of Ryder - thanks mate! :)

P1050614.jpg

17. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Started to investigate the heater.. What fun :)

Initial explorations suggest the heater cables are at fault. One is broken, which connects to the lever inside the cabin which i assume adjusts split between top and bottom, so will get a new cable for that.

10-06-2013 3-30-30 PM.jpg

The other red one is very stiff and doesn't seem to actuate anything, presumably a rusted bracket/lever somewhere, will have to do more investigations on this one.

10-06-2013 3-33-32 PM.jpg

I pulled off the main hose where it goes into the cabin, and there is (some ) air coming thru. wasn't that warm, but Percy was cold at the time to be fair. So then i went back to the heater elbow when the flap valves is to open the hot air out. The valve moved but the cable to it was slack and obviously wasn't doing anything. Its a PITA to get too, anyone got any tips here?
    I think I'm going to start with getting some new cables and go from there... 5 degrees the other morning so heater would be handy!

18. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Delivery from the Bus Stop today.. some goodies to spruce him up.

photo.jpg

Pop top lid (old one cracked and leaking) gas storage lid, badge, rubber seals and grommets to keep the weather out. Oh, and the all important Kombi Club sticker of course :)

Next week he's booked in to GHR for heater cable replacement, tie rod and ball joints on the left side and new sliding door block and roller. Then off to the panel beaters to see if we can fix up his nose and bull bar a bit..

Off to the Flinders in July, no pressure!

19. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

PS: Got the Penetrol Col, just need a free day to get under there and give it a good clean up an application..

20. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

July is weeks away! From 2 to 6 depending on planned departure. Bon Voyage!