1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing Percy - 76 Bay Sopru Camper - Adelaide

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by DanSA, Jun 3, 2013.

1. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Awesome! good to hear of another Sopru, they rock :) Put some pics up soon mate.

2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

So, big development :)

After much reading , studying and watching various Youtube vids on distributor overhauls, tappet adjustment and ignition theory, I decided to bite the bullet and have another go...

Finally established how find TDC on #1 properly, and not #3. Now understand the markings on my pulley and the importance of getting the distributor keyway perpendicular to the crankcase with the small segment to the pulley side. So , got this all back together, set points again with the new cap, rotor (std,with no rev limiter this time), capacitor and points.
    Next on the list was to check the valve clearances as some had mentioned that the hot stalling and misfiring may have been a tight valve.
    So , back to TDC #1 and rocker cover off, 14mm spanner, screwdriver and feeler gauges at the ready. Followed the Sticky guide on here - very good indeed. No tight valves, some were a little loose if anything, but all now set to 6 tho and re-assembled.

Then went to start it, and viola! she runs.. :cool: albeit a bit ruff.
    So it was down the road to the local mechanic to see if he could put the timing light on it. Getting out of our street was a challenge, was bugga all power, and i do mean bugga all.. We made it tho (its only 800m down the road i guess) and I left it with him while i cycled back home and waiting in intrpidation for the call..

Went to collect it later, and bingo, all done and clean bill of health for $40 :) He commneted that the points were set perfectly and all seemed well with the vaccum advance. Also mentioned the timing was waaaay out, hence the lack off grunt, but said it was now good.
    So , I took it for a drive thru the Hills to the next town and wow!! Felt like someone had dropped a flat 6 in the back! So responsive, smooth and powerfull (relatively of course..)

No stalls, misfires or lurches, so was very happy indeed. Stay tuned to see if this has finally fixed it, time will tell when i take it for a longer drive. think its good tho finally

Big thanks to all for their suggestions and pointers, learnt a lot!

Dan

PS: Also got the newly painted bumper on the front finally, and the rubber bump strip to match the back. Also fitted a new head unit up front so the kids can plug in their iPods and fixed a cupboard hinge.
    Onwards and upwards!
    new bumper.jpg

3. mrsdawnrazor

mrsdawnrazor Member

Well done on the fix - mine is off for its respray at the moment so hopefully have lots of shiny new pics to post soon but in the mean time here is Percy's twin 098.jpg

4. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Did some carpentry and electrical work last weekend :)

• installed two warm white LED dimmable strip lights. One over sink and one over bed as a reading light. Super bright for cooking now..
    • installed 1m cool white LED strip light under the Kombi. Will light up area under the awning at night, and highlight step. Plus it's fully sik lol...
    • hard wired dash fan with separate switch, rather than the old plug it into the ciggy lighter when you want it on..
    • Re-ran the rear speaker wires. They were loose over sink before, bit of a mess. Neat now...
    • re-made the folding table as the old one finally fell apart at the Flinders last camp. 12mm marine ply for weight saving. Must have added at least 5kW at the wheels :)
    • moved dish drying rack to sink area.
    • re-made and improved folding table near fridge. Old one was rotten on hinges and brackets were gone.
    • fixed up front curtains and patched up holes in pop top with tape.

Now just have to get 2 springs welded in drivers seat, paint and am ready for new seat padding and vinyl then it's done! (For now)

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_7.jpg

5. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

More pics:
    image_9.jpg

image_11.jpg

image_12.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

6. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

seats!

Finally got the driver seat done!

Big big thanks to Cam @ Volkstyle for his great support on his quality products, made everything easier and great to able to chat when i had a stumbling block.

Finally we have a matching pair and I don't have to drive around with a spring sticking on my back!

Had two busted springs in the base, but fortunately the local panel shop managed to get an HT bolt, grind off the head, drill it out both ends to the gauge of the spring wire, sleeve and weld the - sorted! :)

Anyways, before , during and after below:

seat.jpg

seat_1.jpg

seat_2.jpg

seat_4.jpg

seat_5.jpg

7. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Fittted

seat_6.jpg

seat_7.jpg

8. cameron

cameron Member

came up great Dan well done mate :)

9. TheYorkieBar

TheYorkieBar Active Member

Good work on the seats Dan - had to look at yours after you commented on mine!

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone looking to go stock, just be patient and have all the right materials and tools... I spent hours on YouTube.

10. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

Hi, we just purchased a 76 Bay Camper with sopru fitout in Martini Olive today! Twins

11. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Awesome :) Great to have another on KK - enjoy Lois!

Did a big trip down to the coast last w/e to see if I had finally fixed the engine gremlins and all good, Percy went really well and didn't miss a beat. Fridge performed well as usual and the new LED lighting and tables made a huge difference camping. Happy times!

beach.jpg

beach 2.jpg

camp.jpg

12. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Went down to Deep Creek for some me time and some hiking, bush is amazing at this time :).

15221434046_1920d97621_b.jpg

15057657999_67e0a5dc0f_b (1).jpg

15244421415_b886020743_b.jpg

15057674439_c7952c2403_b.jpg

Had to give him a push start on leaving as the battery was a bit low, but after that went fine. Solar performed well (4 day trip) and so did the fridge.
    I am hearing a slight noise from the front somewhere while driving, kind of like a drone whirring, i think it might be the bearings, so will get them checked next time hes in for a service at GHR.

Some pics, stayed at Tappanppa at Deep Creek before going for a look around Talisker CP and the old mine, before a small diversion to Cape Jervis and then home :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  13. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

14. drummerguy

drummerguy Member

Interesting looking hotel, did you ask for an upgraded room? ;)

15. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Lol..
    Its the old crusher building from Talisker mines, the calcining furnace is nearby. Amazing what the early settlers did, must have been backbreaking work in the day.

16. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

My 11yr old son made this for my birthday, it a Jacaranda wedge, sanded and then he used a soldering iron to do the line drawing from his head.

I love it! :)

[​IMG]

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That's fantastic. He did an awesome job.

18. robmich

robmich Active Member

can i commission him to do me one?

19. KombiFringe

KombiFringe Member

Why take the bumpers off? I travel most of the year round 8-10 months and I have also a mesh windscreen protector…I have been glad to have the bumpers mostly
    in car parks and street parking in the inner city. I can understand the weight factor, also its useful for climbing on to get to the roof basket and tying hammocks too.

20. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

@ragat3 - If you are referring to the bull bars - I took them off to improve steering feel (makes a huge difference to weight) and we don't need to tow anything either. All goes inside, on the bike rack and in the roof rack.
    Contained , tidy and safe :)