1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

irs vs swing axle(standard)

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by chuck85, Oct 30, 2010.

1. chuck85

chuck85 Member

i'm about to remove the axle, gearbox, ect, am wondering weather i should rebuilt it or go for irs, don't really won't to lower it much if any, If anyone has any info or opinion about it, or links, Want to know about the ride, how it handle ect
    thanks hope that makes sense

2. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Have a read of the IRS sticky in the resto section, that should answer all your questions.
    Dave

3. flipflop

flipflop Member

I think the only way to go IRS and keep it anywhere near stock height is to use parts from a 68/69 bay.

4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I used the bits out of a 68 to do my IRS in the '63 and have retained stock height. This link shows my changes.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=12501

We have just finished another conversion using the same approach.

Ian

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

6. bolts

bolts Member

Without a doubt, converting to IRS will greatly improve the ride, safety and performance of your bus. You will notice a massive improvement.

But......

As time goes on, there are fewer and fewer splits in existence. And even fewer in original or close to original condition.

My '56 bus will be left as original as possible. I will add seat belts (because it is too dangerous without them) but I am not sure if I will convert to 12Volts.

It is a personal choice. Just an alternative opinion offered - for what it is worth