1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this repairable?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Simong, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Moi:rolleyes:

StevieVW likes this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Justas likely that it may not be original engine or heads and possibly not off your kombi[should be an 1800 for year]
    if someone is close its prob worth having them[if knowledgeable n honest] assess n give a heads up what bundles of mixed joy you have,
    likely you may sus for a new engine?
    but that's all theoretical till all assessed n you see what you need for the whole project.
    My suggestion is don't be in a rush to buy parts till you have an idea of projected pathway and check a few alternatives .
    will be plenty of advice
    head to the Berry Patch meet this w/e
    I am told that Stevies shed is not that far from there:D

StevieVW likes this.
  3. Simong

Simong New Member

Thanks cbus. I am very grateful for the advice, and will make that my next move. I am aiming to be at Berry Patch this weekend all going well.
    On that note, are there any Tasmanians on here who could recommend a mechanic who I could speak to (preferably in the south?)

4. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Dont know of any mech in she south, perhaps adrian might know someone. He'd be able to point you in the right direction with regards what parts you have and maybe what you need.

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Should see you there then. Someone who knows more about type 4's than me may be able to confirm bore size for the 1700, 1800, and 2L. You case may have been machined out at some stage in its life. Who knows....

6. kombiwhisperer

kombiwhisperer Member

Got new heads in stock
    You have to recut valve seats, and barrell faces from new, we had some 0.006" different
    Airfreight will break you to import them----

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Recently purchased Type 4 from Mick Motors I think $685 each not here yet (stock heads)
    Currently have some large valves from the states locked in customs $860US each however GST to be added and $90AU processing and $250 US postage (GST to be calculated on Cost and postage .....so not cheap.)