1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this upholstery acceptable??

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Harribo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hi All,

Had the rear seats in my dormobile upholstered recently and this is how the side cushion came back....

[​IMG]

I think the stitching should be on the other side of the cushion as its clearly visible when you open the sliding door, trouble is there is a zip on the other side.

You can't see it when the bed is folded out but its noticeable when the seat is in the sitting position

Or am I being too much of a perfectionist??

2. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

It looks as though they made a great job of the upholstery so it does seem strange that they put the join there. I don't imagine you'll notice it after awhile but maybe you could show the upholsterer and ask for there thoughts.

tom

3. Harribo

Harribo Member

I've already done that, they weren't interested just said that's the way they did it with the material quantity that they had ordered and if i wanted it in a different place i would have to pay to have it redone!

The quality of the job is great which is a shame as i don't really want to go back there now!

4. Greg N

Greg N Member

Looks like a nice job, but if I had done the job and if material was limited I would have atleast put the joins on the corners where it would look far less noticeable. Looks like a small after thought unfortunately.

Greg

5. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

That's a bummer but it still looks great and I look forward to seeing the finished fit-out.

tom

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

bit like me saying i couldnt match the colour

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That is a bit of a shame but if you are happy with everything else, it would be very easy to just add a decorative cushion in front of it for when the seat is in it's upright position.

8. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly what I would do. I think it was cut to save vinyl, maybe not such a good idea.

It looks like a beautiful job otherwise.

9. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

Yes, granted it is what you would do to save vinyl, but they probably charged you an arm and a leg for a job like that so skimping on $40 worth ov vinyl seems petty.

You do have options. Make a formal complaint to them and ask them to rectify it at their cost. Make a complaint to your local fair trading - there are rules about service and quality and unless they specifically said there would be a join, this is not the way most professional upholsterers would do it unless you said you wanted it that way, wastage is part of any industry and they have to wear that, you should not be expected to compromise your finishing standards of your build because they want to make most efficient use of their scraps. Seems like their mistake and they are bound to rectify it. You can always slam them on social media too, as long as you don't plan to go back there - people remember good service for a while but bad service for a lot longer.

Get a second opinion from another trimmer, even send them pics and ask, chances are they will say its bad.

10. Harribo

Harribo Member

I phoned them to complain but they weren't interested, they just said this was how they did it and not to tell then how to do their job. I could put a cushion there but that isn't really the point.

The annoying thing is is that the vinyl was ordered from TMI in America so they have obviously not ordered enough to do the job properly but its not actually faulty work.

I think i'll put a call in to fair trading and see what they think!

11. 86Caravelle

86Caravelle New Member

I supply auto and marine vinyl (and leather) to re trimmers and upholsterers all over NSW..... Showed this to a very good customer who does all the top end hot rods, show bikes and cruisers (Boats) and basically said he thought that was dodgy and could have easily have been made so you don't get a join right in the middle of the panel....... otherwise agreed that the job looked good! :)

If you want to PM I'll give you my address and if you have a small swatch of the colour please send it.

I'll try and match it and send you a "sample" large enough to redo the side panel and more. If you don't have a swatch send me your address and I'll mail out a swatch book and we'll go from there.

FYI.. we stock more than 20 standard vinyl colours of which 4 are red / burgundy.. they are called Ox blood, Port, Cherry and Burgundy........ The cherry colour looks closest to your interior.

Cheers,

Al

12. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hello Harribo,

I thought that I should add my two cents worth to this discussion as I believe my contribution will be of some help to you. Firstly, however, some background. Two weeks ago our two and a half year old $2000 plasma television went on the blink, turning itself off after a minute or so. I rang the retailer who informed me that there was nothing they could do as the warranty had run out and I had opted against taking out an extended warranty. They were emphatic! They could offer me no help whatsoever. I figured I would just have to wear it.
    By chance, while visiting my Dad, I picked up a Choice magazine (he subscribes) and read an interesting article on the subject of televisions and extended warranties. To cut a long story short the article led me to examine my rights and responsibilities as a consumer under the Australian Consumer Laws that were introduced nationally from 2011 replacing a raft of state based legislation. The next 'phone call to the retailer in which I explained my rights and their responsibilities under these laws led to a miraculous about face on their part. The retailer is obliged to repair a product if it does not do what it is supposed to do (ie break down) within a "reasonable" time from the date of purchase. As I type the manufacturer is assessing the unit for repair or replacement. They have admitted liability.
    Whilst your situation is obviously different, you, as a consumer in South Australia, are afforded the same protection as I am in New South Wales. My advice would be to acquaint yourself with your rights under the ACL and take it up with your upholsterer. My reading of the situation is if it is not a major repair you are entitled to have the work redone. I really hope this helps you in resolving your problem. The underlying feeling I took away from all this is the feeling that retailers/manafacturers appear to be happy to let us continue on in our consumer ignorance.
    I had intended posting this on KC, you have, however, saved me the trouble of posting elsewhere on this forum. Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the law in Adelaide could be of help. I am thinking of that eminence grise, John Doherty.

Best of luck,

AJD

13. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

Also log every correspondence with the supplier. If it comes to a negotiation/mediation through fair trading, having all this will help. To go back to a business, tell them you aren't happy with their work and then be told they don't care is a harsh attitude for them to put across.

I do have to ask though (playing devils advocate here) - did you not inspect the finished product and give your approval prior to paying for the job? Unfortunately if you did, and didn't put something in writing straight away, or ask that they rectify before you paid and collected the cushions, this may go against you somewhat. You could have witheld payment until a resolution was found, ie they may have reduced the price or offered to redo the section.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. Harribo

Harribo Member

To be honest I collected it in work hours so was in a bit of a rush it was only when I got home later that night that I noticed it when I was giving it a good going over!

15. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

That's a shame for him, you could have sent him some more clients

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

How a business handles complaints is a true measure of how good the business is

If you are unhappy ...they should be unhappy

remind them of the fact that you are part of a large group ....while you have not yet named the business ....
    perhaps.... you should point out to them that a good outcome is win win for all
    and lots more business from other members

Jerome

17. Mustard Sally

Mustard Sally Member

Hey Jerome
    I am still getting over the massage you gave me 12 months ago, can I get a refund [he he he]
    Mustard Sally

18. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Spot On...i bought a part from a "well Known" vw parts online shop.
    What i ordered and what was on the tax invoice was the same but they sent a flame II coil not just a flame. It broke my elec ignition the second i turned the engine over.....anyway to cut a long story short found they had sent me the wrong part, they said to me on the phone tuff luck as i should of checked off what i ordered against the tax invoice against what they sent (a coil is a coil is a coil...or so i thought)

Anyway as soon as i said id put up on every VW forum what happened and to advise people not to buy though them they (within a second) changed there mind and gave me a choice of a replacement or refund !!!

The power of the internet and feedback now is very strong and worth a shot.

Goodluck

19. cameron

cameron Member

they should have ordered more material. plain and simple.

20. 65busser

65busser Member

John. I'll have that TMI red in stock I reckon. You're welcome to enough to redo the border. If you go back to them and quietly let them know you're not happy with the visible join in the border, which you shouldn't be, they might replace the piece to maintain the peace if it's about not enough material.

It's not unusual to see joins in the front of cushions. By no means right. Definitely not what they were taught but some just don't have the eye for detail, which is what you're buying.

Happy to shout some material if it works for you both.

Brad