1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It was simple then………..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GW2200, Dec 7, 2021.

1. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

1972 - Working as a labourer with my broken English speaking European cohort for the Board of Works sewerage, our Aussie boss, Bob (full strine), sent us home early - rain. In a cafe sipping coffee and reading a newspaper I spotted an article about a mining company up north. Hmm. Hopped on a tram to the city (Melb) and went straight to the CRA building (mining company location) in Collins Street and asked for any work up north. Receptionist told me to sit and wait for someone she would call. A man soon appeared and we entered his office where he detailed working in an iron ore mine in remote Paraburdoo.

Next day the company sent me to their doctor; no broken bones, no compo history, fit & flexible, see & hear -I was their man. Following day company put me into the flying tube to Perth where I fronted at St Georges Terrace mining office for local blood bank to do blood grouping (in case get mangled) and then to union office to join AWU (Australian Workers Union - mandatory). Company booked hotel room for me in readiness to fly out next day via Miller & McRobertson airline (colloquially, Mickey Mouse airlines). Landed in Paraburdoo and started work next day.

No job advertisement
    No job application/resume
    No formal interview
    No waiting period

As Bob Dylan’s song goes: “The times, they are a changing…” and will always be doing that as generations continue to evolve and progress.

tintop, Syncro27, KahunaKombi and 4 others like this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

The only constant in life is change……
    Nice story.
    Cheers,
    Mark