1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kangaroo Island

Discussion in 'SA' started by DakDak67, Nov 30, 2011.

1. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  2. Zozo

Zozo Member

I've not camped on the Island but have spent much of my youth there as my Dad is an "Islander" and has serval holiday houses. Theres plenty of beautiful scenery to be seen. As for beaches there all beauitful, Emu Bay is a really nice beach and swimming friendly, Vivonne Bay, Hanson Bay and Stokes bay are nice beaches but be weary of the undertows and rips..but I'm sure youll enjoy any beach on the Island.

3. Zozo

Zozo Member

Like you said "Theres dirt roads and theres dirt roads"

My Kombi hasn't been over but my Bug did just fine

It's actually been a while since my last visit, The south coast roads been sealed for years now and They do tend to Grade the roads that are used more often and they tend to turn into little pebbles rather than dirt. Just can be a little bumpy from the graders.

So Id make sure all your nuts and bolts are done up tight :p

4. Zozo

Zozo Member

Just speaking to my brother who goes over more frequently and hes said that
    the north cost is still dirt and rough would be a risk of stone chips, so depends how much you like your paint job.
    Be ok if you stick to the touristy bits.

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

We just went over a couple of weeks ago in Rocky.
    What I found was that the dirt roads were very good (for a dirt road), having spent a lot of recent time in the Pilbara and Kimberley regions, the KI roads were incredibly good. We were happily sitting around 80-90 on them on the straight stretches, only a couple of times we came across washouts which were still not too bad.

As far as camping goes - we stayted one night at West Bay - which might be a stretch for a low kombi, but ont he way the camp site at the Flinders Chase NP entry also looked very good. One night was spent at Antechamber Bay, this was described to us as more of a locals camp spot and was fantastic, lots of room to spread out at this one, very handy to the Eastern end of the island. We were limited for time and only had 3 nights, the third being spent at Browns Beach, if you get here early it is a really sheltered spot with nice camp sites and showers included. We were longing for a couple more nights but had to leave. We were told about a lot more nice camp sites too, but have only included the ones we used.

THe information centre in Peneshaw is very helpful as a first stop when coming off the ferry.

Cheers

6. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Hey, Dak-Dak,...have been surfing and fishing K.I. since 1973, first year Uni. Can provide you with some fair intell. but hate typing and too busy. PM me your T/A contact details and an appropiate set of times and happy to agitate issues and ventilate views on the dilemna.Alternatively, my work, [08]84108087. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Just rang my grandson to come around and syphen your lingo JD in Adelaide.:lol:

8. john doherty

B.K. Bet you still have a VCR on the bureau with 000.00 flashing in a muted blue light.I know because I have one. What is it with my vocabulary that I should attract suchderision from notables such as your good self? Would it be preferrable that I resort to the ruraliity of a 36 word vocablary thus making it easier ...or would you prefer to be linguistically challenged thus expanding you're own proweress. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey John, as a teacher dealing with teens on a daily basis, it is refreshing to inbibe in a little reparte with a word-smith such as yourself. Many would succumb to the pretense of T9 predictive text & sms "speak' as a means of communication, however be assured that a cunning linguist is most appreciated by the over 50's here. Cheers, Mark

10. jaman664

jaman664 New Member

Hey all, am heading to KI in Jan 2012 for a week with Snotty, would love some pic if anyone has some.

11. john doherty

Oldman,
    I cherish your support in matters germaine to modes of communication. Ironic, that in an era of instantaneous, multidimensional and oh so vibrant mediums of communication that the most ardent and adept devotees ie. our "young'uns" are so dumbed down? I noted your profile interrests...all characterized by a 360 degree horizon, ergo, I suspect a trapped free spirit. That I can relate to.
    As for Dak Dak, I have not heard fromm thee....was it something I said? Been getting a bit of that lately. I post something and , sure enough, end of thread! Possibly, I have outstayed my welcome at K.C.Doubtless Melissa will tell me . Oldman , kind regards. I hope for the pleasure of meeting you at Bustop. Dak Dak, available at any time to masticate the blubber with you, vis a vis K.I. and|or shelter from the storm if in Adelaide.
    " az fer tha rest a yez...see ewes at Bustop. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

12. john doherty

Jaman, similarly...invitation extended to you.John Doherty in Adelaide :cool:

13. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

I entirely concur with the honourable gentleman, known colloquially herein as 'Oldman'. It is a sad fact that the English language contains more than double the number of descriptive words than any other language yet, very little of this rich diversity is in common usage; in fact, the invasion of American speak, electronic communication devices and Emedia is diluting and eroding the fluency of English everyday. I have tried to encourage my teenage son to explore, analyse & challenge himself with word usage to no avail - "Dad, it's better!" Why is it better, son? "Ah, I dunno - just is." Try and convince me it's better - analyse why, use adjectives and put forward your argument! "I dunno, it's just better!"....
    The funny thing is my kids love to watch "The Big Bang Theory" but I know they are assimilating but a fraction of the discourse emanating from Sheldon's lips :lol:

Don't get me wrong! Colloquial language and slang are a rich & colourful part of English - but not at the expense of a deeper, richer command of the spoken & written (do kids 'write' anymore?) language.

So, John Doherty, Dingo Strategy & other KC wordsmiths, please continue to enrich us with your prose, descriptors, analysis & hypotheses. Some uncouth souls may label them literalistic ramblings but for the majority they are refreshing, rambunctious & reactive!

So, bring it on, Bro... :p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011