1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keen new member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Whitie, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Gday all,
    Im new, Hi ! Thought Id share with u how I got the Kombi message.
    Easter 1980, surf/camping in a useless orange leeking 2 man pop tent Sth of Forester with a cousin, pissing down rain for days, everthing is wet, cold & soaked to the bone and surf blown out from a sthly.
    THIS SUCKS there must be a better way. :rolleyes:
    Between showers I look outside and surprised to see a Kombi along side, through the curtins I see a socked set of feet up, nice warm & dry, they are livin the life, thats the life for me. .......KOMBI.
    I bought a low light 71 transporter 2 weeks later and being a boatbuilder converted her during my apprentiship to a teak timber camper with pop top and all the goodies, named as 'the brick' together we traveled & surfed around oz for the next 3 years, many stories contuned.
    Sidelined by marrage, the fever for kombi's subsided. But now freedom has returned through separation with two young boys Im inchin for a T3 camper and hang out at the Nambucca experience with like minded people.
    One of many questions I would like to ask is weather to get a well used ex backpacker T3 camper & expect mechanical issues or a well looked after Caravelle and convert to camper. Are T3 poptops still available. Could anyone advise us on what to avoid of in T3's.
    Any assistance would be realy appreciated and look forward to the opituinity meet some of u guys & girls in Nambucca.
    Tony.

2. vinny

vinny Active Member

Welcome to the kombiclub, Tony.
    sorry i'm not the most T3 knoweldgeable, but there certainly are a few of us here that know their T3's and will be able to help you out.

Good luck with the search mate.

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Tony. Biggest things to keep in mind with T3's is that the early ones were aircooled and later ones were watercooled. The first watercooled ones had their issues - if you are looking for a T3, try going for one that is already a pop top and the later the better - but - if you find an earlier one with a good service history then go for it. Scott (Syncro27) had a pop top fitted last year to his syncro but it was a fairly expensive exercise.

4. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Hi Tony and Welcome to the KC :)

5. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

I didn't expect such a quick reply , Thankyou.
    I appreciate I maybe asking 'how long is a piece of string' but most T3's are over 200k s and often over 300k. What should I expect ? What's the life of an engine & has anyone recently gone though the process of rebuilds and costs.
    Tony

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Tony, welcome to KC.
    Try googling Kombi rescue. Steve Muller has a place out at Amaroo,( west Sydney),& is a VW legend.He also has buses for sale & I seem to remember a T3 with pop-top just recently on his site.If you do deal with Steve, you'll find him a genuine fella that is passionate about anything VW - particularly Kombis.
    I've had nothing but excellent dealings with him. Good luck with your search.
    Cheers, Mark

7. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Tony.

Your only cool if your air cooled!

8. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Welcome to the monkey house Tony. :D
    Don't listen to Jon Ward, he's just jealous that he doesn't have a wasserboxer in his collection.:p
    If you are patient there are T3 campers out there, it's just a matter of keeping your eyes & ears open.Also a PM to Menangler (Dave) might be a good option, he seems to turn them up all the time.

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. T3 campers are still around. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open. I bought mine, an '82, in 1998. My mate bought an '86 Synchro camper late last year. As far as early watercooled T3's are concerned they did have cooling issues. Nick from out at Volksparts showed me one day what the issue was and how to overcome it. It was mainly the piping that was used for water from rear to front radiator. Using double clamps on the system will prevent the leak that was a real hassle. One day when one of his client's vehicles is on the hoist I will take some pics to show what I mean. It may be of help to others.

Ian

10. geoff62sw

geoff62sw Member

HiTony
    Its geoff here I have a t3 camper(Yalla) and 3 splittys and a thing(just got her registed)
    my t3 is a camper yellow in colour "auto" and pleasing to drive(a little heavy on gas but the T3 is a heavy kombi) could be talked in to letting her go but she would have to go to a good home........I bought her in QLD's not so long back(afew months ago she is still QLD rego'ed),if you would like to look her over,you are very welcome,she has afew accsesories that I do want to check but she is an honest camper,she has a pop top,stove,fridge,tow bar,bul bar,the prevous owner had a complete engine job dun on her,any way if you would like to visit and have a yarn about T3's and splittys,pm us for an address,or just talk about VW's.
    Any way Welcome to the KC

Please see my Fleet.............of VW's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cheers
    from geoff

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  11. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

nice lookin possie you have there Geoff.

12. geoff62sw

geoff62sw Member

Hay Spearsy " Possie "

Good name for them lets round up some more,,,,,

Cheers
    geoff

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  13. CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN Member

Lucky boy Geoff!! Good onya!!

Welcome Tony!!

14. old skool

old skool New Member

First hi to Tony and welcome to KC

Geoff
    Is that a Dempasar "thing" import,? looks like it by the number plate :wtf:
    would love to know the in,s and outs if it is:)

Leigh.

15. geoff62sw

geoff62sw Member

safari wagon(kluba wagon)model 182 RHD kool ride

Hi Leigh.

Yes the safari is an import from Indo.
    but now registered in nsw after abit of work to bring it up to australian spec...
    it is a great fun car to drive and I have had a lot of interest from other motorists
    I bought it off ebay from albury,the last owner use to drive in indo as a dayly and when he return home to OZ, he brought it with him,he was going to register it but decided to sell it insted and put it on ebay,I have had it for a few months now,and now it is on the road
    see picie NSW rego......
    Hay Leigh also see my post"road trip to pick up a VW 1973 safari wagon model 181 (lhd) model 182(rhd) 17-01-2010 see link
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?p=293810
    cheers
    geoff:D
    [​IMG]
    I did enter my thing in this years VW nationals
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010