1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi Dogs.....our co-pilots

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Jul 19, 2018.

1. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

When we lived in Engadine we used to get the free copy of the local rag. I brought it in the first time after we got our first rescue. She cringed and looked for cover. So I gave her the rolled up "Shire Leader" and she spent the day tearing it to shreds.

Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

BB65238A-F1CA-469E-BE8D-853C8BE43DA8.jpeg

Billie is easily amused for hours with things like stormwater pipe off cuts, 2ltr. milk bottles, reo bar chairs etc. in fact anything that is noisy and chewable when played with……..and that includes me !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Syncro27, Ninga, Wayne murray and 4 others like this.
  3. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

PET bottles (no pun intended). They grab hold, it jumps out of their mouth with some velocity and they chase it and try again. Great waste of time watching the newly arrived Phantom (way back when) chasing PET bottles around the verandah.

Ninga and oldman like this.
  4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

How lovely that you have given so many a great home over the years. I've never been able to understand how a breeder can simply pass on a dog once they are past being a money maker. It's very sad, especially older dogs with less chance of getting a new home.
    Lily is heartworm positive and wasn't desexed as her owners, who loved her dearly but due to very unfortunate circumstances, could not afford the vet care. We were happy to bare any costs required.

wirrah likes this.
  5. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Agree but fortunately not the case with Kit. He was in the show ring a couple of times but the person who bred him had to move on. She put a lot of effort into finding the right home and that's how we ended up with him nearly 10 years ago. And she remains in contact with us to see how he is going.

However I've know of plenty of cases of unscrupulous breeders that don't care about their dogs. Only in it for the money.

Fortunately I know lots who are the opposite. Our Georgiana is 13 years old. One of her litter mate's owners had to fly to Canada to support family during the pandemic. They contacted the show breeder who took the dog back with open arms. I'm trying to convince her that the old boy should come here and join his sister but she won't hear of it :(

oldman likes this.
  6. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

7. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I did not know very much about this person until today (apart from the famous name). I had no idea what he even looked like. And then I discover, this very day, that his co-pilots were Cocker Spaniels. He had several. After the discovery of his sudden death in his Wangi home his two distressed Cockers Spaniels were there by the body. Just goes to show what magnificient "co-pilots" dogs can be.

I wonder if he ever owned a Kombi...

EDIT: He had a Jaguar at one stage apparently. I'll pay that!

preview.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Syncro27, oldman, Kazz and 2 others like this.
  8. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

10. oldman

Posted this in the Covid thread but I’ll post it here too….
    THIS is lockdown………
    So far, all the C19 stay at home/lockdown restrictions have had minimal impact on my life……and for that I am very grateful.
    Two weeks ago, I took Billie (our 18month old Boxer) to the vet to be desexed .
    This was based on the advice to allow Billie to “mature”……(ha ha ha…..she’s a Boxer…that will never happen !)….. before the op.
    So to the vet we go, she gets anaesthetised and I then get a phone call,
    “ ….come and pick Billie up, you’re a week too late…..she’s just started her first cycle….” :confused:
    So, for the last two weeks I’ve been stuck at home, unable to go anywhere…..
    We only have low fences around our place that any “romantic” dog could easily clear if they caught her scent…..
    No walks that would leave a trail of “hearts” back to our place, can’t go surfing and leave her alone, stuck here until Sue gets home from work…..which is always after dark.o_O
    One more week to go before my own Freedom Day when I can safely leave home without fear of returning to find amorous suitors……
    Any one who has had a bitch in season will understand the gory circumstances (that I’ve left out) that I have to constantly deal with……it ‘ain’t pleasant!
    Sure, I could crate her and ignore her condition…..but I’m not that sort of fella…….
    As Charlie Brown would iterate,
    “sigh…….”
    Cheers,

Syncro27, wirrah and David H like this.
  11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Used to put a pair of undies on my Old English Sheepdog;).
    But I do sympathise:(.
    Cheers

oldman likes this.
  12. oldman

Old English Sheepdog ? !! :eek:
    sheesh !……..and I thought I was doing it tough !
    That must’ve been a nightmare………..
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. oldman

Billie loves the morning sun on the front porch….
    5A2B4968-E6B4-4704-97F0-FAC4BB30355E.jpeg

Now that schools have returned, she’s making sure that all the kids in our street are accounted for as they walk past…..
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ijam, David H, melissa and 6 others like this.
  14. Griffin

Griffin Member

15. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Azaleas look good……….

oldman likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

That’s a great pic @Griffin

Worth framing

Griffin and oldman like this.
  17. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Now that dog training is back on after several months of covid lockdowns, Georgiana Darcy (14 next May) and Iseult (4 next March) await their turn in the back of the Caravelle. Actually Georgie just sits it out and Izzy is the one on the field.

APC_0046.jpg

Syncro27, Wattie, Ijam and 4 others like this.
  18. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Wayne murray and wirrah like this.
  20. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I'll tell you a story. Back in 1999 we rescued our Phantom. He was one of 90 Cocker Spaniels seized by the RSPCA from inside a 2 bedroom house (and, no, not a puppy farm). These dogs, needless to say, could not be left alone under any circumstances. Even though we had two others at the time we learned pretty quickly (the first night infact) that a nice warm bed behind a closed door for this little waif wasn't going to work. If you have seen a dog have a real panic attack you will understand.

With so many out there it was inevitable that we should run into someone or someone who knew someone who would have one of these dogs. Case in point - an owner of one of these Cockers set up a web cam and screen in his garage where the dog stayed during the day so he could communicate with it visually as well as sound to keep it calm. Since he monitored the dog all the time the dog could "make a call" simply by barking!

Of course, if we had one here we'd probably get calls every few minutes. Thankfully I'm working from home.

oldman, Kazz, David H and 1 other person like this.