1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi flooring

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by auschook, Aug 18, 2013.

1. auschook

auschook Member

Hey i am looking to get a whole new interior for the back of my 76 bay camper and being an old chook i have no idea about doing this stuff. Firstly i need to get a good floor laid so whereabouts do i get this done??? I would love to see some fellow kombi owners interiors so some pics pleeeeease would be much appreciated so i can get some ideas.
    Cheers and thanx guys
    Jools

2. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

What are you going to be doing in the kombi ( sorry that might not sound right ) but what I mean is, is it going to have your beach gear etc stored in there ie sand and wet stuff everywhere ?? Is it a show pony that you just want to look nice, maybe think about an overall idea of what you want from a floor ? Lots of options, rubber mats, vinyl, floorboards, carpet etc just depends how the kombi will be used. I've got a floating floor in one of my splitties, cork in my camper, both easy to sweep out and keep clean
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Hey Jools

As stated by Squidy, it depends on what your doing, but as I recall you are set up for camping. A Masonite floor with vinyl would be handy, then you can have a car carpet piece over that, which can be taken out and shaken. The interesting thing in the photos above is the Dynamat - while you have things apart, a good time to install some. There are a few threads about this product.
    Also see this:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?13537-Fitting-Timber-Floor&highlight=dynamat

Also, what happened to your rust repairs?

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?44996-Rust-repair-advice!!/page2

Leo

4. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

Just finished the floor in my 76 bay last week. I filled the holes (many made by Sopru for various services, treated rust, applied POR 15, applied thick coat of underseal, 3 layers of 3 mm floating floor underlay, 9 mm marine ply floor (on 9 mm spacers) then 3 mm studded rubber flooring from Bunnings stuck to ply. I still have the polished metal edging to fix in place. This part of the floor was the only part of the van I did not use Dynamat on.
    cheers, Tom

P8180005 2.jpg

P8180004 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. Jack360

Jack360 Member

Grass!!! Easy to install and maintain, no mowing required and it feels nice on your feet.

[​IMG][/URL]

6. Farky66

Farky66 Member

I went down a similar path to squidy. Perfect for what I use the van for which is heading to the beach and taking it camping as I just need to give it a sweep after

image.jpg

7. vannin

vannin Member

We too are about to do the flooring and wondering what to use. Our first van we used normal household vinyl. Not to good as its soft and with the heat inside it tears easily. Our next van we used vinyl tye tiles from bunnings. These were hard wearing but shrunk a little in the heat to leave a few mm gap between each tile.
    This time we want black and white check maybe commercial grade? Any ideas where to buy it?
    Nik

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I think Jack360 has nailed it! Not so much in using the grass, but using a material that will handle the temperature extremes involved.

Even commercial grade flooring materials deal with excessive wear, not so much excessive temperature variations, coz they are usually in a high traffic, but used in an air conditioned environment.

So in choice, you need to consider a winter overnight cold temperatures, (often well below zero, depending on where you go), to a summer 38 degree outside air temperature, where a vehicle in the sun can reach well above 50 degrees inside.

Outdoor landscape materials are well suited, or at least, the interior flooring materials, that allow in the fitting process, for the movement in the material, with the temperature changes.

9. kombivan

kombivan New Member

well marine carpet is good stuff and when you want stuff like fittings and accessories a good marine shop is a good place to find little items. I have a CD30 waeco draw fridge in my kombi and another in my landcruiser and they are really good for traveling but not really large enough for a beer fridge. Fit 12-18 stubbies but a good size for onroad food. The swing out kitchens are also good[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Where the white fish tub is is where i put my fridge. I have a normal double bed and the swing out kitchen is great and I store everything else under the bed in fish tubs. But you don't need much.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. kombivan

kombivan New Member

Steve Muller 96792900 might be able to set you up with a swing out kitchen or any vw wrecker. I know sydney is a long way from Gladstone if you got one and wanted to relay it up to your place via kombis I'll help as a change over or if I'm going somewhere i may help part the way.

How do you think that green outdoor carpet would look in your Kombi?

Also I was reading a post here the other day and someone purchased a ready made kombi interor from Qld and they only had to assemble it did anyone remember who's post or thread it was?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. lawso21

lawso21 Member

Hi Auschook
    i had ply wood covered with black carpet from Bunnings which was ok however I have just replaced it with those foam lock together mats that people use when camping
    it was easy to do its light weight I can easily take it out if it gets damaged I can turn it over I got two packs from Bunnings for about $30
    i will post a photo later in the week
    cheers
    adam

12. lawso21

lawso21 Member

image.jpg Hi
    Here is a pic of my new flooring I am pretty happy with it,easy to maintain has made it quieter in side was easy to cut and install
    cheers
    adam