1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kombi of Hope Journey

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kombi of Hope, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Any ideas on what flower we should use to represent the Kombi of Hope? :heart:

We all know the daffodil and its connection to cancer but we wanted the Kombi to have its own flower. Meg and I thought daisy or gerbera. Any other suggestions?

We love Daffodil Day because you hear some wonderful stories of courage, faith and support whilst on the Daffodil Day stall, so thank you to all the people who shared their stories with Meg and I yesterday.

I thought I'd share the Relay For Life statistics (Kombi of Hope will be promoting this event) for comparison with Daff Day. Relay is fast becoming the flagship event of The Cancer Council, overtaking all their other events as the biggest fundraiser.

Globally

23 countries
    5,107 Relay communities
    $798 million in 2006
    510,700 survivors honoured

In 2006 / 07 across Australia

108 communities relaying (56 NSW)
    5,398 survivors honoured
    5,649 teams participated
    64,253 participants
    $11,868,099 raised in the fight against cancer ($6m in NSW, over $460,000 in Newcastle)
    Largest fundraising event in Australia and the world.

Can't wait to get K of H up and running to raise awareness even more!! :)

V

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

The Gerbera is the flower of the volkswagen as its classed as "air cooled too"...:)

3. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Now I didn't know that Judy. I just love gerberas - so bright and colourful.

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

5. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Thanks Woz. Wattles are yellow aren't they? Sort of echoes the daffodil colour of the Cancer Council without actually being a daffodil, a sort of association by colour.
    I like snowdrop but I think that's the pommie in me coming out!!

6. Van Housing

Australian wattles tend to vary from cream to yellow, and from subtle to bold - but the iconic Golden Wattle is very yellow... and would echo the daffodil...

A snowdrop in the Australian sun?? Now that's "hope"! LOL!

Good luck - I love your work! :)

edit: So this is for the logo...? mmmm, wattles look best portrayed as "sprays" rather than as individual flowers.... maybe as part of the "i"? or as a "feather" adornment...? Maybe Craig will find an iris, gerbera, daisy or even a peace lily easier to integrate, though...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

The reason I'm asking the question is because we're trying to come up with a logo. I thought perhaps we could have a tiny little daffodil as the dot above the "i" in Kombi and then have a flower for the Kombi itself.

8. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

P.S. Craig, if you are reading this thread, the above idea occurred to me in the wee hours of last night.

9. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

I like the idea of a gerbera.

Rev.

10. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I was thinking either Sunflower or Gerbera...they are both bright and colourful and happy.

11. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Living out back in the drier climates we see some pretty awesome flowers coming up after rain. Unlike Melbourne where we are currently hiding, it very rarely rains in the desert regions of OZ
    Some plants lie there for ages until it rains and then they flower while others only grow and flower after rain. For us they are a picture of life and survival in the harshest of places maybe this theme could be what you are after?
    One delecate one is the desert rose, very pretty light pink flower with a deep marone/ burgundy kind of center or there are countless others. I have tried to get a link off the net to a picture of a desert rose but google is down????

jono

12. Van Housing

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  13. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

14. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

I LOVE this idea Jono!! Cancer patients have amazing stories of survival through the harshest of treatments.

I think these plants are called ephemerals. I used to live in the Middle East and there were several beautiful delicate flowers that did this just after rain.

Thanks Woz - pictures are great.

15. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I like the idea of an Orchid. Long life, robust, strength, beauty, mysterious, and they turn up in the strangest places.

Or maybe a Boab Tree. Shelter, protection and again, robust and strong and all that.

Or maybe a Wolemi Pine - 'Cure; one day we'll find it' - I can see the slogan now.

16. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I was serious:eek:

18. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

One word for you M&V - GERBRA. Bright, beautiful and my fave. :)

19. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Yep go the Gerbera...
    VW flower (representing Kombi)
    in YELLOW (representing cancer council colour)

Judy

20. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

Thank you all for your input. Apologies to Dingo - I knew some people who were really into finding the Wollombi Pine so it just sort of struck me as funny...

Apologies to Zombi too - we loved the idea of the plants surviving in the harshest terrain and the parallels to surviving cancer but thought the Sturt Desert Rose was a tad obscure as a plant ....

SO.....

the GERBERA wins!!!

Watch this space for a Kombi of Hope logo coming your way soon ... I know, I know - the CC still haven't given us final, signed, sealed and delivered approval but after all our hard work and the power of sheer belief, they can't say NO surely?!!! :confused: