1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late Bay Pickup

Discussion in 'New Members' started by kr.au, Aug 11, 2019.

1. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Hi there. Thanks for letting me join. Am in Brisbane with most of the pieces for a 75 single cab pick-up . Took over an unfinished project. Body work is complete, clean, straight and v pretty. I've also got a beyond-saving 76 camper in a paddock near Kingaroy that's donating a 2ltr motor, auto trans and a swag of bits and pieces. Working through the under-body bits first. Will look at the electrics next I guess. Then interiors. Motor comes last. Have had a few of these old girls over the years but never taken on a project this big before. Will be a long slow project with plenty of questions along the way. (Current puzzle is the plastic tube between the top and bottom brake fluid reservoirs.) Looking forward to joining the community. kr

IMG_1954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2019
    Mr Beckstar, TeeBee and Mordred like this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC kr.au Another ute member good to see. :)I have a 76 single cab and a 72 double cab which was also a unfinished project,it's fun working through it all. Enjoy it wherever it takes you.:)
    Whats the puzzle between the two reservoirs? other then the hose!:rolleyes:o_O
    all the best regards Wayne

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi kr.au, Welcome to the Kombi Club. Nice looking SC. Ask away as there are some knowledgeable ones here. Him above^. Bit of work in front of you;). Good luck with it.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  4. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks guys.

@Wayne murray - the puzzle between the two reservoirs.... have bought new reservoirs and hose. All fits well on the bench. The bottom reservoir has a side inlet. If I face it towards the RHS then the hose has to do a too-tight turn that will kink it and it's way too long. If I face the outlet towards the inside of the car and try to loop the hose around then it's too short (unless I try a tight bend that will kink it) and it looks like weird way to go anyway. The hose is about 840 long with expanded ends, so it's not made to be cut down. Maybe some hot water will help with the bends? Not sure about the direction or length.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Welcome @kr.au ! That's a very nice looking ute. :)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club kr! :)

Enjoy the ride.......... ;)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. Wayne murray

The reservoir on the master cylinder is towards the back of the car on right hand side(drivers side) facing RHS. It hose turns relatively quickly towards the front. How long it should be not sure with out measuring it. I'll take photos if you need!. Have you also got the correct hose as there is two types maybe even three over the years of the bay window. If you get the earlier ones they are a different length and the reservoir is in a different location making the hose shape different. The reservoir on the master cylinder there is also different types there as well.

Mr Beckstar, David H and tintop like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Ah Kimosabe:). You are so good at what you do:D. Keep bouncing off this guy @kr.au. @waynemurray.

Cheers

Mr Beckstar and Wayne murray like this.
  9. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks v much @Wayne murray. That's v helpful and makes perfect sense. I've obviously got the wrong hose. Hopefully I can cut it down and use hot water to reshape it.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Yay another ute, welcome to KC :)

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

@kr.au :) welcome to the party that never ends ;)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

The hose should come preshaped to a degree especially if there is a tight curve which this would have,put up a photo of the hose you have. Don't cut what you have as the expanded ends are meant for the rubber seal to go inside then go onto both reservoirs at both ends of the plastic hose,plus there should be a plastic hose clamp that goes around the bulge part in the plastic hose with the rubber inside of that area.Which clamps and seals the plastic hose.

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  13. Wayne murray

14. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard kr.au, nice to see another sc saved!!

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  15. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks again @Wayne murray . Good advice - unfortunately I read it too late. The hose wasn't preshaped. I did manage to get a bend in the pipe by filling it with sand and heating it in boiling water. I also cut the pipe and managed to expand the cut end by heating and stretching is over progressively larger sockets. I probably managed to create a serviceable pipe in the end but it was a mess and I really didn't like it.

I rang the place that supplied the hose and they reckon everyone else they've sold it to managed to make that piece work (everyone else must be smarter than me). I also talked to Just Campers. They had a shorter 24" version of the same pipe on their website, but it wasn't in stock and I reckon it would have been too long anyway. They also had a preshaped piece, but it was made for the bottom reservoirs that have the inlet at the rear. I also think it turned the wrong way and would have fouled on the booster - it's probably for a pre-booster car or for a left hand drive.

So I found some Speedflow braided teflon hose that was the right diameter and brake fluid friendly at a performance warehouse place called Qld Speedway Spares. Haven't put fluid in it yet but it seems to fit nice and snug, and flexes easily to make the bends. Here's hoping. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

Wayne murray, Grantus and David H like this.
  16. Wayne murray

That comment from the supplier is a load of bull dust:(:eek:;), Like saying they never had any issues before.:mad: They just don't know enough about it,to know any better.o_O:rolleyes:.Universal component that one size fits all but doesn't fit anything:eek:.
    Any way at least it looks like you have it all sorted. :)

kr.au likes this.