1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaking under the front dash during rain (what the??)

Discussion in 'Body' started by Barra, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Barra

Barra Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

If you were betting folk, and a 76 Bay was leaking from under the dash, and from outside the bus looks sealed, were would you reckon it's getting in?

Can it get through the indicators or more likely the front grill?

Any suggestion on where and how to fix would be great.

Thanks,

(And what do you think about my little saying beneath my name?)

Barra
    "Around the world at 80ks"

2. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

The windscreen?

tom

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

windscreen seal
    indicator seals
    wiper seals
    washers
    check grill but unlikely unless rusted internaly

4. LonePiper

LonePiper Member

I have the same problem which I'm 90% sure in my case comes from the front windscreen. A few years ago I replaced the seal, but unfortunately got a hold of a shoddy cheap one. I would have replaced it with a decent one sooner, but apart from the occasional leak it serves its purpose

5. Barra

Barra Member

I'll have a closer look, I hope it's not the windscreen seals, hope it's something simple (windscreen seal looks good).

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Run a bit of tape around the windscreen (outside) then see if it leaks, that would rule that out or not, take the blinker lenses off, could be a rust hole behind there

7. lakepipes

lakepipes Member

Sit in the car and get someone to hose some water down over the front of each item to see what leaks. Start at the bottom and work your way up. It could be as simple as replacing a gasket or it could be as bad as rust underneath the windscreen seal.... Process of elimination, you must attempt!

Mike

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Give yourself a bad neck and crawl under the dash with a torch. follow upwards from any water trails

Does the windscreen seal flare out over the lip of panels all round ? any spot that sits at 90 deg to metal at the bottom or lifts away at corners will allow water to enter

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  9. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I had trouble with water leaking in the front particularly on the passenger side. Water would drip down through the fuse box and fill the blinker relay up - the kombi rain gauge :lol:

The seal looked pretty good. After watching it intently for some time I noticed that the water was getting through between the glass and the rubber.

The rather easy fix was to squeeze some "dab off " between the glass and the rubber - 2years + and all is well.

Dab Off is in my humble opinion the ONLY window sealer to use. It can be rather difficult to track down but worth the effort.
    It doesn't set - it's a bit like black very sticky blue tac but it also continues to flow so constantly changes it's shape to Cope with movement.
    http://www.wurth.co.uk/technical-ch...ls/bodywork-seals/glass-sealant-dab-off-310ml