1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Licensing questions

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by k00k, Jun 30, 2014.

1. k00k

k00k Member

I am still in the process of getting my 75 microbus back on the road here in Perth, nearly ready to go but waiting on a set of carbs to be built as the current Solexs in there are totally shot. Matt is going to sort me out with some Weber 40IDF's. They're a few weeks away but I think everything else on the car is looking okay now.
    At the moment I've only fitted the far rear seat back in, and I'm not sure I have a full set of belts for the centre set of seats. If I take the bus for inspection with only the rear seat fitted will it only be licensed as a 5 seater?? Should I make sure I get it inspected with its full set of seats and belts?
    Also the car currently has its original 14" rims on with a mix of tyres on it, 3x Goodyear Grand Rally and 1x Firestone Guardian, all with pretty good tread. I do have a brand new set of 'fuchs' 17x7 with new Michelin Pilots ready to go on. Any thoughts as to whether I would be best to put it up for licensing with the original 14"s or the new non stock 17"s? I'm leaning towards sending it through with the stock rims on, but wonder if its a no-no if you have a mix of tyres on your car?

2. sacky

sacky Member

Check your state laws on all the above, on the tyres I think its illegal to run mismatched tyres like you have but I think you can run two by two the same F or R good luck enjoy the ride

3. k00k

k00k Member

Looks like you're right, if I'm reading this correctly. I think. Maybe. Definitely possibly...

A vehicle with a GVM not over 4.5 t must not have pneumatic
    tyres of different carcass construction fitted to the same axle,
    but the tyres may have different cord materials and a different
    number of plies.

4. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if the tyres are different brands as long as the sizes are the same. Its not ideal but its not illegal.

5. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

Tyres as mentioned can be all different as long as the numbers match. We've had cars with 5 different tyre brands. It irritates me but its legal.

Seats in most cases will be according to whats on the compliance plate or, if applicable, any supplementary modification plate. So regardless of how many are actually in there, if it says 8 seats on the compliance plate which it should for a microbus, the car will need to have all 8 seats fitted to pass without some sort of change happening. Not sure if this applies everywhere but it does in Qld and we seem to have the most relaxed rules up here. You go by the most recent plate, so if, like my van, I got a mod plate to change from 2 to 5 seats, that is the number that is accepted. Problem is if you have a 9 seater and can't find the proper dickey seat!

Interestingly it doesn't specify whether it is a middle seat or the rear seat, and since kombis can "mix and match" seats due to the quick in and out attachments, theoretically one could have both seats available and change as needed. As long as they are fitted according to spec and the numbers total 5.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  6. k00k

k00k Member

Thanks to both for the info on the tyres. I only need them to get me over licensing, they are all the same size/profile, so once its licensed I'll put the new rims/tyres on. I just want the car to look as stock as possible to pass.
    Seats aren't the problem, its belts unfortunately. Looks like it will be going over as an 8 seater/7 seatbelter as I cant find one floor stalk.

7. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Stick a wanted ad on here, someone might have a stalk. If you take it over the pits without one and they pick it, they wont let you replace it with a 2nd hand one and you'll have to buy new belts.

8. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

You will need a different stalk depending on which seat/position too. I have a pair of lap/sash ones but not sure if they are legal, I think they are ok and have pretty long stalks (not really a stalk more like a webbing belt for kombi middle and rear seats) but not sure if long enough for a middle seat.

9. k00k

k00k Member

Thanks for the offer. Why do you think they might not be legal? I am just in the process of cleaning everything down (seat and belts covered in masses of red dust). I'll get it all in over the next couple of days and then figure out what I'm chasing. Thanks again, and will let you know...

10. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

All I meant was at present I can't examine them to ensure they are in safe/legal condition.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Or even borrow one for a day......:rolleyes:

12. k00k

k00k Member

The one I am after is a buckle for the middle row of seats. Buckles for the middle seat are different to the ones in the rear seat. Middle seat buckles are longer and the fixing plate that attaches to the floor has a right angle on it. From the end of the buckle to the end of the fixing plate is approximately 53cm long. Here's a couple of pics of the one I am after (I already have 2 in the car but need 3). Its the mounting bracket that's causing the problem otherwise I'd just buy another lap belt online and fit it. There are plenty of ones to choose from online similar to the rear seats but none with the right angle fixing needed for the middle seat.

Attached Files: