1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life In The Low Lane

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE, Nov 14, 2008.

1. For those who don't know my car here's a list of what i can remember i have done to it since I bought it in 1993.(damm I have had it longer than my wife lol) It's a 1976 microbus that started out as a 2.0L efi auto.

Lowered all round - front end adjusters, rear torsion bars

15x7" BBS Lace wires

tinted windows

biggish stereo(lol)

Deluxe bits and pieces - jail bars, trip meter speedo, fold down rear seat, opening quarter windows, sliding windows in back, added billet heater controls and window winders

Empi bus quick shifter

converted to manual with 091 bus box

koni adjustable shocks on front, Monroe heavy duty gas on rear

Front end totally rebuilt with new bushes, ball joints, tie rods, centre pin and drag link

New master cylinder, front discs rear drums, wheel cylinders and linings. Front pads are a semi race composite.

Engine is currently 2.0L with following goodiies..

94.5mm mahle pistons equal weighted and barrels machined for close tolerances

crank machined and balanced

sachs clutch and pressure plate 211mm

Light flywheel and balanced

Heads are ported,flowed with 1800 valves. Comp 7.4:1

1700 Kombi rockers with solids spacers & Scat adjusters

hydraulic cam and lifters XU1 Torana grind on cam

rods equal weighted and balanced with new pin bushes

case full flowed with Empi Oil cooler

40mm dellortos on match ported manifolds

CES Racing custom exhaust with tuned length primaries mandrel bent with stainless turbo muffler and resonator, stainless tail pipe with AU XR8 Falcon tip

Will post up some pics of the recent engine repairs after It dropped a valve nearly 4 years ago and had sat in my parents carport till recently. Got head repaired, new valves and replaced one piston and new gaskets and seals.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

Pics? come on you know you want to!

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

So ya finally worked it out :)

Kruize up to Beerwah was good just got to get those carbs balanced - got the text cheers

4. Still won't let me post pics aarrgghh

5. KahunaKombi

Brennden- if you want to email me the links to the pics I'll try and post them for you - limit 4 per reply

6. Pics form the Gold coast show last weekend....

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

got some rust in the sill to attend to shortly.... actually it has been there for 8 years and not got any worse. I might just leave it LOL

7. jman

jman New Member

Very cool.
    Very cool indeed.

8. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Great looking Kombi Brennden...im lovin that exhaust pipe location...way cool :cool:
    Steve

9. Fly

Fly New Member

Hi,
    Great looking ride my friend. Any chance of some pics of the exhaust system?? Looks way cool and very interested on how it is routed etc.

cheers Fly

10. tuned length mandrel bent headers. Pipes run forward toward the front of the car.

[​IMG]

Some new goodies I have acquired for the new engine. 2700cc of Type 4 grunt!!

78mm DPR stroker crank. Big thanks to Damo for his help with this one!!

[​IMG]

Not 100% sure whether or not I'll use these heads yet. Machined for 105mm P & B's, 914 plug location, bigger inlet and exhaust valves as well as a fair bit of porting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Here's a pic of a pic on my wall of my bus at willowbank a few years back.....

[​IMG]

12. went to a photo Shoot for another Forum I am a member of on saturday night and decided to take the bus for something different. Photographer loved it!! "something different and I like it" he commented. Here's a few i like....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 1 more...

[​IMG]

I got 6 shots all up and they cost me $50. I am looking to do a VW shoot later in the year in Brissy with this guy so stay tuned as I negiotiate some details with him as to where and when.

14. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Pics look great Brendan

Love the 15x7" BBS Lace wires........ much work to get them to fit?

Brett

15. A little Brett as the offset is 23. Machined a lil off the back face of the centre to get a bit more clearance to get them on the rear. also fitted stainless inserts for the wheel studs and changed to studs from nuts as stock studs were a bit too short. so now the stud is a neat fit in the insert and are holding on more than just 2 turns of thread lol.

16. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

What kind of times are you getting at the track? That is a lot of smoke and I hope that wasn't on your run. You set in one place a long time doing that. Good looking bus.

17. Burnout before staging. Can't remember exact time but was something around low 17 qtr. Engine was a little different to what I have now.

Ran 11.35 @ 58mph on 1/8 last year.

18. KahunaKombi

Nice pics Brennden - amazing what a camera pro can do :)

19. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

Those Pics are wicked....

20. holmsen

holmsen New Member

What a bad ass bay,absolutely lovely :cool:
    if you ever take it out on the 1/4 mile strip, send pic. of the timeslip to these guys
    http://www.ultimatestreetbays.co.uk/ would have been cool to have you on there.
    Have fun with it and race safe :D