1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life In The Low Lane

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE, Nov 14, 2008.

1. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

hey low, what are your opinions on the koni front shocks over standard of bilsteins ?

2. jman

jman New Member

Damn! I really need to get some decent photos of my Van.
    Awesome shots.
    Cheers, J

3. No real comparison mate. Koni's win hands down. Better control plus benefits of adjusting to suit your driving style/comfort levels.

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

VW 2000 Type 2 accessory parts identity?

[​IMG][/IMG]

What is the Lucas brand component, on the left-hand side of the engine compartment; some form of fuel filter cum water separator!?!

[​IMG]

I saw some BBS wheels similar to these on "Ethel", an Australian specification, VW Type 2 imported into Great Britain. Are they after-market wheels with a 112 mm PCD, a factory-fitted wheel from a donor car with 112 mm PCD or a factory-fitted wheel from a donor car, whose PCD has been modified for the VW Type 2? They are an attractive looking wheel, but I shudder to think how long it would take to clean them properly; especially after driving over wet, muddy fields!?!

[​IMG]

An interesting looking 4-into-1 exhaust manifold, but the collector seems a bit small, where the four pipes merge!

Do the designers and/or fabricators, also offer a 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust manifold with a proper-length collector?

What do you do for cabin heating & window demisting?

[​IMG]

Here are some custom heat exchangers & exhaust system, fabricated for a VW-Porsche 914 engine, transplanted into a split-screen, pre-1968 VW Type 2. It's difficult to see from this picture, how the heat-exhanger shroud connects to the engine's cooling-fan housing, but hopefully this was not overlooked! Picture originally featured in: "On the scene", Volksworld, June 2003, Page 14.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  5. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Hey Low.
    What Carbs are you running?
    I was thinking of going for Kadrons.

6. Wheels were already the right PCD for the Kombi. Got them off a bloke for nothing who was into early Mercs. these had never been fitted on a car!! I got stainless steel inserts fitted and machined about 15mm off the back of the centres to adjust the offset to give me a lil more clearance.

As for the Exhaust the collector is longer than it looks in the pic. It's 2.25" in diameter and then step up to 2.5" after the flange. It was done that way also to fit in the space that was available.

As for heaters and demisters they went a long time ago!! Car doesn't really get driven in the rain anymore and if it is cold I wrap myself in a blanket!!

The fuel filter in the engine bay pic is a water trap type filter. I also run a filter before the pump and a small inline filter between the carbs. Dellorto's also have a small gauze filter on each fuel line inlet.

Have recently overhauled the carbs with new kits etc and fixed up some wear and tear.
    Add to that a completely new throtlle linkage kit to fix all the slop and stop the carbs from going out of sync.

Next step is off to the dyno with a box full of jets etc and do some fine tuning before Warwick.

7. Dyno time booked so hopefully sometime next week it will be all running and I'll be driving it around the burbs. Haven't driven it for over 2 months now and am really getting the itch for a drive!!

Look out Bert, i'll be round for a visit soon!! Nick keep and eye out as I will surely be going past your place as well!!

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Where you getting the dyno tune done Brennden ? and what's been the prob since dynomania

9. Leon's motors is doing the dyno for me. Problem has been carb overhaul then replacing the throttle linkages which I have ahd for a while but every spare minute I have had has been spent getting the laundry renovation finished before i friend of mine moved in with me as the spare room was full of all the stuff to go inot the laundry. The end is very close for that room and the wife promised me once it is finished i could spend some $$ on the kombi. Plus new job working 50 plus hours a week hasn't helped either.....

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I see a little bribery eh :)

11. Bribery nah I'd call it black mail LOL

12. Well dyno is all done and the bus is running mighty sweet ready to go for Warwick this weekend. I nearly achieved my desired goal(with an engine that has 370 000 k's on it) to have the factory flywheel HP output at the wheels. The ol' girl is making 79.3HP at 5600 rpm. Made some jet and air corrector changes as well as some minor changes to timing.

Not bad for an old engine!! Comp ratio is 7.4:1. Temp was 28.5deg C. All runs were done at my cars' normal operating temp of 80 Deg C(oil temp)

[​IMG]

13. It's all good mate. gearbox will go before that crank will.....

14. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

with 350k on the clock, I don't reckon any part of that donk has anything to prove to anyone! The little donk that could, eh.

15. Well crank is still good as after Warwick but gearbox is just that bit noisier!! Also one CV is doing some complaining and making some noises as well.

But I guess they have a right to after quite a few 4500-4800rpm launches.....

16. Necro

Necro Active Member

I really enjoyed this thread, lots of food for thought....

Thx Life in the low lane...:D

17. I'm considerate to my car.. when it is broken I fix it!!! You prolly wont want to hear me say that the next thing on my agenda is a big brake kit using brakes off a VE SS Commodore( or for the foreign folk a Vauxhaul of sorts)as i need to be able to pull the ol girl up from the sort of speed my new 2.7L engine will push the car to.

My car has served it purpose of carrying loads all it's life so now it is time for it to have some fun whilst proving those nay sayers wrong about what you can and cannot do in a Kombi.........

18. Necro

Necro Active Member

Hey Littl,

I have been trying to source suspension and it is proving difficult...

I have a lowered DC like your bus....do you have part numbers handy for you koni front's and munroe rears if I remember right....?

Hope so and thanks for looking...:)

19. Necro

Necro Active Member

It's cool, all sorted...went Monroes all round....

Koni's look the shiz, but I can't afford them at this stage...maybe next time...

20. Sorry Necro only just saw this post as I haven't been on here for a few days. Hope all is well!!