1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locking a rock and Roll Seat into the Bed position

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by bilckster, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

Ok, so after about 4 hours of rebuilding a T2 Rock and Roll Bed Seat so that it will fit my T3 I have finally got it at the right height and position.

However when it is out in the bed position I am a bit worried that it does not lock into place and that there is a risk that it might collapse back down into the lower seat position when you are sleeping. Is there anyway of locking it into place? Is there something I can do to the brackets underneath to lock it into place so the brackets don't move when it is in the bed position? I have included a couple of pictures of what it currently looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would love to hear some ideas.

p.s. Anyone know of a good (AND CHEAP!) upholsterer in Sydney to get these seats done? What price would i roughly be looking at to re-upholster the seats and back cushion?

Cheers,

Steve

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

You could do it yourself, I think BelNMic did theirs themselves. I dunno how hard/easy it would be, but if we had a R&R we would give it a go.

3. bilckster

bilckster Member

Yeah,
    I was going to try and buy the vinyl and cut it out to the correct size but would need to then take it to someone to sew together as the sewing machine we have wouldn't be strong enough. Any idea where to get good vinyl. Anyone got any T2 rock and roll patterns otherwise I might just pull the current vinyl off and use it as a pattern.

Any idea about locking it into the bed position securely?

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

The problem with vinyl is that its sweaty to sleep on. Keep that in mind.

5. bilckster

bilckster Member

Good call. But it does look much better than cloth material. Is there any cloth material that looks nice and neat but is better to sleep on?

6. bilckster

bilckster Member

I imagine we'd also put down a sheet and underlay when it's folded out as a bed so may stick with vinyl

7. melissa

My original T3 had a bed seat that was a tweed type of fabric with vinyl around it and on the back. It was an 85 and I think the seat was made at that time. If you have a look at some of the early conversions such as a Sopru, they had the checked fabric seats.

Its personal choice of course but when I get around to having a bed seat made, I will be using a microsuede.

8. melissa

4Hammers new Frank is a Sopru and you can see a tweed fabric on his bed seat too.

9. bilckster

bilckster Member

Yeah I noticed that and it didn't look that bad.

Still trying to figure out how to lock it in position as well. Any engineers out there with a great ieda?

10. Phil

Phil New Member

All I did with my bed is the drill a hole in the timber on the inner edge of the front bed uprights and insert a pin through to lock the uprights in the forward position. I used a 13mm threaded bolt and just wind it through till it sticks out enough to lock the bed. When you want to fold it back down, just wind the bolt back till the upright clears it and then you can drop the bed. Easy.

11. bilckster

bilckster Member

That's the perfect solution. nice and cheap and easy to do. I'll get it sorted out tonight.

Cheers Phil.

12. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

That's what we do! Maintains the vinyl look but solves the heat issue!
    PS - the bolt does sound simple but FYI...I dont think I have ever seen a lock in mechanism...they just seem to stay in place, more so with bedding etc. When snoozing your primary weight ("arnoos" - pronounced with Borat accent) is on the "back of the seat" and thus holds it down in place nicely.

13. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

I cut a length of timber, to fit between one of the brackets, and the rear enginebay section. Basically creating a wedge. Push it in, pull it out. Easy.

Vinyl is great for keeping things clean. If any liquid is spilt on cloth, you have stains, and later smelly seats... just ask my 9 mth old dog, who wee'ed on our original cloth recovering. Quickly converted to vinyl.