1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking fast or going fast ??

Discussion in 'Performance' started by vassy69SC, Apr 30, 2012.

1. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Both is ideal for me, but what is your preference and what balance do you like?
    Stock motor with an exhaust and big wheels running low?
    Hot motor and stock looking sleeper?
    Pics and specs please ... even if you're dreaming! (it's okay to dream)

My ute is the balance I prefer which is mostly stock looking with some go in the rear.
    Fill out the guards with some rubber (not too low a profile) and run a little lower than standard.
    2165cc engine with around 100hp at the wheels running a 17.2 second 1/4 mile

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bennyharp

Bennyharp Member

Beautiful mate. Just awesome!!

I like go but stock looking, like yourself. A little bit of show but not to much

3. 66 deluxe

66 deluxe New Member

Thats beautiful Marcus. When you taking me for a spin and are you racing it at Warwick?

4. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Marcus, I reckon if you've got it you gotta flaunt it! :cool:

But having said that, I reckon Hot Motor and stock looking sleeper is also very cool! Plus, when people in shitty cars try and pass thinking "old, slow Kombi", you put the foot down and go 'see ya'.... :lol: and the look on their faces is priceless :eek:

Your Lowie Ute is absolutely stunning with a rocket up it's bum.... :cool:

5. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys
    Hey Damo, I'll do you a trade, blockie for blockie :lol:
    I will race it at Warwick unless the Oval is ready then the ute will be the tow car.

6. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Nice Marcus. Is that the CSP oil breather/filler/tower? Is the return line to the stock fuel pump location? Which of course raises the question, Where's the fuel pump? I've been thinking something similar.

7. flipflop

flipflop Member

I prefer low, fast and big wheels.
    [​IMG]

2110 in there at the moment.
    [​IMG]

8. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Sweet flip flop!! I love the panel ;)
    What exhaust are you running?
    Is that a DTM shroud I see there?

Red Kev, it is the CSP breather tower. Very nice unit and yes the return is to the fuel pump block off. The fuel pump (electric) is under the car just in front of the gearbox. Find a fuel pump quieter than mine if you can :)

9. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Yeah I prefer stock looking, with just a touch of MUMBO !:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. flipflop

flipflop Member

Cheers, It's one of George's knock of sidewinders 1 5/8ths. I went for the DTM as it's get a little warm up here.
    Has your case been wet blasted, it looks great. I have the 2180 I took out of the panel and the case is painted duck egg blue, it's hideous, and needs removed, but it was fast and came in the cargo area of the van when I brought it over.

How do you find the csp? I'm thinking of that or the Berg.

11. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

The subie H6?
    I like the VW badge if I am right ... even if I am wrong I still like it!

12. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

My case has only been cleaned using a parts cleaner.
    The paint will be a nuisance to get off. What a pain.
    So you have 2 engines to choose from?
    The CSP is definitely better in finish than the Berg, but as with everything CSP is exy.

13. flipflop

flipflop Member

Looks great for just parts cleaner. The paint will be painful, but that's what vw's are about.
    I took the 2180 out as it's a bit excitable, it's around 160-170hp.
    I do like CSP, I bought the bell crank linkage and a few other bits, very well made.

That's a great colour, Wattie, I thought they only came in white or that's all I see.

14. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Well, it's taken more skinned knuckles than I thought I had to give, and more false starts than I thought I had the patience to cop, but it's finally in.

[​IMG]

And this is how it sounds :)

[youtube]F2z4urIQVXs[/youtube]

Few tidying up bits to do, wheels back on and hopefully a run tomorrow or Tuesday :) :)

15. Surfpig

Surfpig Member

low, and low...

no need to race up to 60km/h ;)
    [​IMG]

16. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Red Kev, the motor sounds awesome!
    Is it injected or are they idf/drla? Share some specs with us :)

Surfpig, that is a fab looking beetle ... love it.

17. I like show and go!! While I appreciate efforts of achieving the rat look I'm still a fan of shiny paint and a touch cleanliness. Still a car detailer at heart!! Engine bay has to clean as well!! Nothing worse than a nice looking car and the engine bay has a bone stocker that isn't clean!!

Nothing half baked for my bus with my current engine build being a 2.7l type 4 with all the fruit. Dangerous Dave Butler will be commissioned to build a box to handle the extra hp and torque and some big brakes to pull it up from speed too!!

Some if not most kombi drivers would be more than happy with the low comp 2.0l I have in it now making 80hp at the wheels but you can never have enough!! I'm aiming with new engine to have at least 160 reliable hp plus at the wheels and a truck load of torque.

18. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Yep, 2160cc of fuel injected goodness. Pat Downs build, 2nd generation CB fuel injection, A-1 stainless sidewinder, 84x90.5 pistons, Eagle pro-comp cam, MSD coil pack/ignition, 044 CNC Wedge Port heads ... Still waiting for the complete engine blueprint and bench dyno results to be sent to me :umm:

Took if for a 50-odd km drive a couple of days ago. Mmmmm, sounds great. Pulled up a local hill in third that the old engine (1916, so no shuffler) would have required first. Shocked a few local bogans, too, methinks :lol:

Bit of a learning curve with the fuel injection (seems to prefer a real squirt in first to take off; doesn't like a slow takeoff or just puttering along at all). New gearbox is real stiff, hopefully that'll just be something that loosens up over time. And the suspension seems to have dropped just enough to scuff the wheel wells over some bumps and when cornering. :confused: No idea what's caused that.

All said, can't wait for it to be fully sorted (still a few niggly little things left to do) and take if for a longish cruise.

19. matberry

matberry Member

So hows your engine going Kev?

20. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

In the weeds with a bucketload of chrome is how i choose to be rolling these days....with fat period shoes, the fattest rubber I can fit under the guards and enough of a zorst to say "I'm here bitches!!!". As for under the hood... big cams, lopey idles, stainless noodles and a load of chrome is how i like it. Basically... a bit of go and a lot of show. :D