1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for the best VW Auto Electrician in Adelaide?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Abby.75, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Hi All,
    I'm looking for an Auto Electrician in Adelaide who understands Kombis really well... I've had electrical problems with my Bug and went to a guy in Port Adelaide who ripped me off... Everything he touched other than a second hand generator and regulator (that I supplied) stuffed up again, and I had to get them fixed again... properly.

Abby is still at Volkscare... I hope to pick her up in the next day or two.. None of the electrics were working properly... for instance only the hazards on the drivers side flashed, the head lights worked but the tail ones didnt, one brake light, no indicators etc... all of which Bob could fix... but the battery keeps going flat and he can't find the fault, something keeps drawing power when the ignition is off. The battery is fine: if he leaves it disconnected it stays charged, but if its connected it's down to 9 volts in 2 hours.... 3 days oin the train and they had to push her off when she got here, she only had half a volt then.

Because I'm wanting to wire her for towing, I want to make sure everything will be able to cope at the same time... Kombi electrics aren't exactly known for their... robustness? and this time I only want to do it ONCE!!!

If anyone has any suggestions it would be really appreciated,

Thanks.

Abby.75

2. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Try checking your earth strap,[battery to body] as even though they may look good they can be a bit dodgy,i know from experiance.Did not use the bus for 3 days and had devil of a job trying to start it. was told to replace the strap which i did and have not had a problem since.Could be the battery is ok but not getting a proper charge,as was my situation. chris

3. 6621104

6621104 Member

Sams Auto Electrical, Magill Rd Norwood is not too far

4. courty

courty New Member

Bob is a good bloke, he's done a bit of work on our Kombi. I used Rocca's on Payneham Road felixstow before for a job on our mini and they were pretty good and again not far. They have been around for a while. I too have used Sam's on Magill Rd, a fair few years ago now. Having said that, I can't vouch that they know VW's. Try even ringing Volksfactory at holden hill and see who they use.

5. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Thanks guys... Bob actually managed to fix the battery problem... but has no idea how exactly he did it.... He did repalce a lot of burned out and melted wires though...

As for all her other electrical probelms... "Noodles" has volunteered to have a look at Abby tomorrow morning... Although I will keep the names of those electricians in mind...

Abby.75

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

If Andrew, ( Noodles ), can't sort it out, you have no hope !! Cheers, Mark

7. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

hahaha....

Ummm, actually I think you might be right....

Abby.75

8. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Bwahahaha!! :p

small side cutters...CHECK
    big side cutters... CHECK
    soldering iron...CHECK
    solder...CHECK
    Heat shrink...CHECK
    stash of Wurth terminals and crimps...CHECK
    Factory Manuals...CHECK
    Spares...CHECK
    Swearing, cursing and bad attitude!! (Kombi fixing etiquette) ...Ummm... CHECK!! Haha! :)

Ohhhhh, here's a good one for you...I'm an APPRENTICE too!! LOL!!
    Not an Auto sparky...I did study some Electronic Engineering...is that good enough??
    No obligatory pimples though.. Haha!! :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  9. 1500king

he ain't kidding... "Narva" terminals are my nemesis...

Can also offer "upgrades"...eg..

"night blinder" headlight upgrade...you will see stop signs from 500m away, all of my busses have had it done.. If you intend on doing road trips with it, I suggest it get done. 100W high beam/90W low beam, space in the fuse box for load reduction relays(x2 if you want fogs too) and takes the stress off your ignition switch, headlight dipper relay and switch(which all feed the standard headlights)..I can demonstrate with my daily hack at night..you will not look back.

3 speed wipers with intermittent "flick/wipe"...will need a little planning(new 6 wire stalk-all of them are good to go, only the originals are 4 wire that cannot have the conversion done, optional relay and a little wiring-all fits into the fuse box and will look original...nobody will ever know it has been done)...All the late imported busses had it....and a choice of sticking with the pneumatic washers-the new switch will have that(without leaking onto your foot) or installing an electric washer motor(I am fussy, will only go for the correct VW washer motor for longevity...they are still available as they were used in 1980's Audis/VW's)..

Alternator upgrade to 75A stator conversion(original is 55A)...

Can help with an answer on the coffee machine too.

the list goes on..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  10. 1500king

C'mon Steve...you get me here...a cut above the standard guff...

11. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

An apprentice what though?!