1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Westfalia

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by KanadaKombi, Aug 12, 2008.

1. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Hi all,
    I am an expat Aussie living in Canada coming home for 3 months over the summer holidays.
    Have been looking for a westie (we have a 3 year old who would love sleeping in the poptop) and think I have found a decent one listed by one of your club members - Kombigeezer. He has an 84 in good shape that sounds like a good deal - $8000 with one years rego. More than we were thinking of spending but from what I could compare I think this is the bottom of the price range?
    Can anyone give me any reason not to make an offer? Any issues with this year and make and model?
    We are landing in Sydney and would fly to Brissy and then make our way around the east coast ending up in Adelaide before leaving. Any advice or suggestions would be well appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

2. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

3. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

KG,
    holy smokes that was fast - what a truly global world we live in!
    Thanks for the link.
    We haven't had a Westie for 10 years now, looking forward to it!
    Cheers

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I am suprised this one was still available! Good luck with your travels here. Are you going to take her back with you?

5. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

You can sleep in the poptop of other conversions too, such as Sopru (and Sierp Bros!).... but 8K is a great price, but make sure you get someone kombi-aware to check it personally (don't rely on photos)....
    Also 84 is water-cooled, so you'll have to remember to check the radiator.... :lol:

6. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Melissa,
    Yes I called the owner the other night and he said it was still for sale so here's hoping it works out and no we won't take it home - we are hoping to leave it in Oz with family for future visits if we can afford to!
    Alice, our 82 was aircooled and in Canada that was a pain as it didn't kick out nearly enough heat in the Rockies but it saw us through some great adventures. Is overheating rad's a big issue with these guys? We will be three with gear so there will be a decent load.
    cheers

7. KombiGeezer

KombiGeezer New Member

I think somebody should come and see "Otto" on Jeremys behalf, buying stuff from the other side of the world scares the living bejesus out of me and they could give him an honest appraisal

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Shouldnt be a problem with overheating, but best to ask the current owner.

9. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Kombigeezer,
    just the fact that you are posting this takes the fear factor of long distance buying out of the equation!
    Whenever we come back home the vehicle situation is always stressful - researching, looking inspecting, buying, selling. I am glad to be doing it this way so that when we arrive we can travel rather than kick tires!!
    cheers