1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lowering the rear

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Dudo, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dudo

Dudo New Member

This has probably being brought up before but how hard is it to lower the arse end of my bay, the front is done and looks sweet now the rear?????

cheers jono

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

rear wheels off
    cv shafts out(or just un bolted from the hubs)
    remove rear hubs(careful with brake lines)
    pull out spring plate and adjust up about to hearts desire.
    I have done mine to about 1 inch up from standard and its lowered the rear about 5 inches.

3. Dudo

Dudo New Member

cheers im going to give it a shot sitting way to high at the moment

4. BIGBUB

BIGBUB New Member

how much harder is it to do the front than the rear??

5. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

two different scenarios the front you need to get the whole beam out and get a professional welder to weld in the adjusters
    in the rear you just gotta pull stuff apart and hope for the best

6. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

LEAD in the bumper bar is the gutsy solution.

Only half kidding. Removal of Warrens bullbar produced the whackiest reverse-rake you've ever seen. Gotta decide whether to run with the bullbar or not before figuring out what to do with ride height.

P.S Bullbars are bloody heavy. Ask my right thigh.

7. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Now my dumbass question for the night...how do i know what the correct height is meant to be...as in..when it came out of the factory?......and if it is higher than the factory set then can front and back be lowered without the removal of front beam etc etc...

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Not Dumdass Kelly. Hard one to quantify. manual gives angles etc but not dimension to ground. There is a thread here somewhere that has been talking about actual altitude of bus for access to carparks. Alice mentioned that her new ride is much lower than Woz's bus. Need a more relevent dimension to relate to. Jacking point to ground?
    And no, there is no front adjustment. Just sag!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  9. Dingostrategy

Most will agree the correct height is the one you want it at.

I was sold on standard ride height, due to the practicality of ride comfort against my aesthetic tendency towards a slight 'dump'. But the more I read, the more I learn there are aerodynamic and handling benefits to a modest lowering, the more I can justify a small amount of lowering!

My kombi counsel (king welder / beater / engine builder and all round great guy) reckons that the modest 50mm drop is sensible for most Kombis - including campers, but that you do lose a little ride comfort. He also advises that the drop spindles are controversial in terms of legality in some states (controversial because there are different versions / quality / mechanisms and different interpretations.)

If I wanted ride comfort I'd buy a second hand Audi. I want a kombi. A phat one. And dump it I will. I've decided to keep standard rims and spend the BRM money on the lowering instead (after the rego is done). But your new wheels make that a hard choice - they look GREAT!

w

10. .Wez.The.Bay.

.Wez.The.Bay. New Member

I dont know if my rear suspension is shot or what the story is but i have mass reverse rake also..My rear guard just covers top of tyre :S Im not totally complaining though..How much all up to purchase the adjusters, have them installed and adjusted would it roughly cost me, and is there places in vic that lower kombi's .. ??
    Alex..

11. Dingostrategy

~1250. AVWperformance.

Advertisement over.

12. .Wez.The.Bay.

.Wez.The.Bay. New Member

$ 1250 bloody hell !! Seems a bit steep i would have thought..!
    Alex..

13. Dingostrategy

Its a big job. Your beam out. New, beam with re-engineered dropped spindle back in. Brakes off / back on. You can buy just the adjuster to put in your own beam if you're handy. I sure aint.

Call around and get some quotes - don't take anyones advice but your own.

14. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Recommend the Bentley manual to guide you thru adjusting rear ride height.
    We installed adjusters to the front beam. As previously mentioned major dismantle and some welding.
    Did not use dropped spindles. Most comments are that the ones available for Bays are not up to standard.
    If you only want an inch or so then front bump stops may be OK but if you want more you will also need to adjust stops or you will have NO suspension travel.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  15. Dudo

Dudo New Member

my front was sitting higher than the back so got an adjustable beam put in now the back is way to high and it looks like a drag car, so now have to tackle the back and get it sitting low like the front

16. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I have a mate who welded in my front beam adjusters and he has made up some adjustable bump stops allowing you to get your bus lower and still have suspension travel. His name is Paul and his business is East Coast Kombis'. Awesome welder and top bloke. Give him a bell (0419262418) and he could arrange postage if required.

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ha Dudo
    You having trouble staying in the seat now??
    Have organised Randall to armourall the drivers seat on w/e

cheers

col

18. Hippy-71

Hippy-71 New Member

As Jonno said Paul does Great work, Jonno hooked me up with new tyres all round on Grover,smallest I could go on the front rims and put 7" rims on the rear with the widest tyres that would fit under the guards, now Grover has the maddest rake but will soon be sitting on his guts once I get Paul to do his thing on him !

19. .Wez.The.Bay.

.Wez.The.Bay. New Member

I had 10 mates in the back last night..Sitting so low, looked nutssss :D:D
    Alex..

20. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

There is a Happy Tin website,(American) called wagenswest and they have a bracket that bolts in between the spring plate and the hub with automatically lowers the rear without having to remove the spring plate and the torsion bars.