1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LPG Conversion to my 2ltr 79 Bay

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by felixqld66, Jun 5, 2008.

1. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

[​IMG]

on the hoist motor out

[​IMG]

heartless ...lol

[​IMG]

shiny new stuff

2. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

[​IMG]

New motor fitted

[​IMG]

heater box vents covered.....not required

[​IMG]

modified stock exhaust

3. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

The motor now has 3000kms on it and I will start a fuel consumption book this week. Free to park on anyones drive because I don't leak oil :lol:

4. kombispong

kombispong New Member

Wow ....straight gas. I have an aircooled T3 that i converted to gas in 2007, but i have a continuing problem , i cant always keep the gas convertor hot enough...............any advice would be wonderful...im currently looking at heating the oil pipes, but changing the position of the convertor makes sense. However im stillmindboggled at how you keep the convertor at 70c + using just engine oil, given how long it takes for the oil to get up to that temp and how quuickly the convertoror freezes at below 70....do you live somewheres where the sun is always shining and the air is hot?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

I guess living in Qld help with the operating temp, my converter is mounted on the left rear just in front of the muffler seems to work fine in winter up here I do get some icing up for a few k's if I don't warm it up enough.

But at generally less then half the price of petrol I can manage a few hesitations on a cold morning! :)

6. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

But we are talking about the kombiwhispherer. ........ why not give Geoff a call?

Quite a few mechanics and other interested people are quite impressed with the work that Geoff does and the design he installs.

I am one very happy customerer .......

.................perhaps I should talk to Geoff about an upgrade ................. ?????????..........

7. kombispong

kombispong New Member

That,d be an awesome thing to do ...contact geoff . Its just that i dont know geoffs number or his buisness name, but i sure want to talk ot him!

Sorry bout the mutiple postings...just getting used to forum and the way it works......Alistair

8. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Something doesn't sound right that your converter freezes up if the oil temp is below 70c. My system uses a water pipe looped under no.3&4 cyls and a 12v pump to circulate the water. I can start on gas and drive, even when we were at Maleny and the O/night temp dropped to 0.5c. The only time it freezes up is if I drive too fast, 115km/h is about its limit but if I slow down for a while it's fine. I have stopped a few times and sweat beads are dripping off the converter and it's cold to the touch but it doesn't freeze up. Even on the Sutton Forest day run it was no problem and everyone except Grant thought it was cold that day.

T1 Terry

9. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

That is the most brilliant work I have ever heard of. I am planning to travel around Australia in my 72 (2ltr engine, 2ltr gearbox). Can I get the details of your mechanic and a ballpark figure of what I can expect to pay and sacrifice?

Thanks