1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luna 76 Sopru Campmobile

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Luna76, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1341.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1739.JPG IMG_1768.JPG Bit of history of my kombi:

Compliance plate 10/76
    Sopru camper 4 seat Sopru compliance plate
    Sold 12/76 NSW, House of David VW Dealership North Ryde. Purchaser (Jabaw Pty. Ltd ?) Newport 2106

Was in NSW until 83, then SA until 96, then VIC until 99, then NT until 2000 and VIC since then.

Has quite a colourful history including an evasion of police chase...

Due to lapse of registration gas cooker, sink, gas and water connections removed.

Removed the gas bottle holder (putting in a full width seat) and floor (totally rotted)

IMG_1249.JPG

Lots of dirt and some rust around the fridge/cooker. Plenty of fun with the angle grinder and strip disc.
    Painted with epoxy enamel paint (colour matched at Bunnings) by brush

Dynamat over the engine and a bit of spare carpet

Engine is out having a rebuild with Dean at V-Dubs Only so took the opportunity to do the engine bay and fuel tank. 5kg of red centre dust under the fuel tank, found a busted fuel cap in the tank..
    Tank surprisingly good inside, outside some surface rust, grinder and repainted.

2. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1751.JPG IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1937.JPG IMG_1935.JPG Battery tray rusted through and bad welded fix over the top. I can't weld so fabricated a new section and riveted it in place.
    Lots of bad paint from POs, gave the strip disk, paint stripper and phosphoric acid a major work out

3. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

That tank looks great inside . Did you have to treat it.?

4. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

No- was like that when I took it out, lucky

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Carb or F/I?
    Loving your work;).
    Cheers

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

While the tank & engine are out it'd be a ideal to check and replace the fuel inlet hose (may look ok on the outside but they split on the inside) + fuel vapour system connectors including the T piece ;)

Here's a useful pic of the fuel vapor system if you haven't seen it

[​IMG]

oldman likes this.
  7. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

T
    Thanks, that was the main reason for wanting to take the tank out-I could smell petrol a bit when the van was parked in the garage overnight.
    Glad I did- the filler neck was stuffed and the red join in the breather completely cracked open!! All replaced with new hose

Attached Files:

KahunaKombi likes this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Luna76 likes this.
  9. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Attached Files:

10. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Please can someone tell me what this cable/wire is? Is it the oil pressure sensor?
    It was hanging up in the battery bay after the engine was removed but has now fallen out, I'm not sure if the end has sheared off inside the body somewhere?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Bit hard to say....but it could be a power feed to the heater blower fan....(the thing that looks like a turbo....:rolleyes: ), though the length looks wrong......
    Power is usually through an inline fused, source ....without sticking my head in the engine bay it's a bit hard to know what's going on in there.
    It def. looks like a replacement wire....nothing OEM I've seen, has that type of sheathing....
    If you replace/re-install the hoses from the fan blower to the engine shroud, you''ll get your boosted heater back !!...and a more efficient demister too.
    Must be getting colder down your way by now......
    Oil pressure switch is in the area behind your dizzy.....look for a round hole in the tinware and a spade terminal poking up.....should have a rubber seal around it too....
    Also looks like you've lost a power feed to the right hand side choke.....should branch off the left hand side choke wiring that feeds off the coil.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  12. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Was attached to the oil filler neck

Attached Files:

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure looks like a temperature sensor of some kind. Have extra gauge been fitted on the dash ?

14. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

No extra gauges on the dash. 3rd dash hole has the factory blank still

15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You have to trace the wire back and see where it ends up.

16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I reckon Wayne’s on the money......that other pic you’ve now posted definitely looks like a sensor that runs down the filler neck and sits in the sump.
    Could be wired up to an additional warning light if there is no evidence of a gauge?
    Would hope that the previous owner hasn’t disconnected the oil pressure warning light and hooked up a temp. sensor to it instead...... two very different warning systems....
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Thanks Wayne and Mark, will ask Dean when I get the engine put back in
    New plates arrived today, need to get her on the road..

Attached Files:

18. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Timber and stain matched the original ply veneer panels, with some great help from Timberwood panels in Campbellfield VIC

American Oak veneer, crown cut
    Old Baltic stain

Hard to tell the difference from the original

Attached Files:

19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That's real close. Looks great:).
    Cheers

Luna76 likes this.
  20. Buggergary

Buggergary Active Member

Hi luna76 them pics of the engine bay works was a bit deja vu for me as i'm just going through this process on ours so similar right down to the year and colour lol. ( Picks of mine in members rides posts )

That looks like an old mechanical water temp sender that some one has jerry rigged as an oil temperature sender i reckon there would be a gauge on the end of that spiral lead. The are usually manufactured as a sealed unit and aren't very long so I don't think it would reach the front of the kombi unless it was a special order so I don't know where the gauge bit would be installed.