1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macca's Easter adventure

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Weekender, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

We weren't at the Bus Stop as we had already been booked from last Easter at Lennox Heads (pre kombi ownership)

A nine day family camping trip to Lennox needs a serious amount of gear, and the Disco was supposed to do the work, but a blown head gasket changed that. (what is this water cooling all about anyway?)

http://lake-ainsworth-holiday-park.nsw.big4.com.au/

Photos attached shows the campsite, Lake Ainsworth which adjoins the camp, and the view from Lennox Head.

Some great side trips to Byron and Ballina, even a run up to Nimbin.

Happy travels

Attached Files:

2. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Hey Weekender,
    Nice pics, how does your bus go towing the box trailer ? temp increase, speed etc, I was thinking about buying a small box trailer with cover like yours after our last trip because you could'nt move inside the bus.
    Any tips would be great.

Cheer's
    Steve

3. Weekender

Hi Steve

This is an all steel 6x4 trailer, with a bolt-on metal frame and a vinyl canopy that ropes down. It is good as it is waterproof. I also welded in a receiver hitch at the rear for a bike carrier. This is a fairly heavey trailer that was built for a 1 tonne load.

Macca is a standard 2 litre, with no additional cooler and (gulp) no temp gauge. (actually on my list)

Speed wise, no issue on the flat country, 100 kph easy, but its the hills. The rolling hills south on the highway has it down to 3rd at 60 kph, and the big climbs is in 2nd gear. i hope for passing lanes. I kept the speed to around 90-100.

My first suggestions is find a light trailer - lighter steel or alumimum perhaps.
    My other suggestion- have you tried a decent quality roof bag? You should be able to get a 900 x 1200 on the front rack.

Good luck

Leo

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Nice. Lennox is a great spot. :)

5. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Thanks Leo,
    I do have a good canvas roof bag we use & I also have a set of Rhino sportz roof racks professionally fitted to the poptop for my surfboard & oz trail canopy, however with a 2 year old and everything that needs to be dragged along for her as well as the wife and 2 dogs I was thinking a trailer would give us alot more room in the bus as we also take a large techi ice esky.
    I have found a nice looking new 6x4 gal trailer for sale on ebay (located in vic) Im waiting for a reply on shipping cost upto Port Macquarie.
    I have an external oil cooler and temp gauge fitted from wayne prenrose and when Milly is fully loaded on a long trip she usually sits on 95/100 degree's with about the same speeds you have stated travelling at, its more of a room thing for the trailer.
    Anyway I keep investigating the issue.

Cheer's
    Steve

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You probably need to talk to Syncro27.
    next bus stop we will be early and set up the chairs and eskies to watch him empty his tardis of enough gear to fill a habidashery/general store/ and family of 10 for a week:)

More amazing than a 1year old joey emerging from its mothers pouch

col

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Thanks Col.

Basically you need to start with a T3 - they are huge inside.

You then fight with your better half tooth and nail for as much stuff to remain at home as possible - I lose this fight every time as I basically empty the entire house into my kombi then pile a few things on the roof and on the bike rack.

The ALDI roof bag works a treat and carries light bulky things like sleeping bags and pillows. That way I can at least see out the back.

The rest is careful packing.

Christmas time is the worst as we always have to take presents to the Outlaws place and come back with lots of extra stuff.

But I hate trailers - thats why I have kombis!

We always forget something but it still amazes me how much crap I can stuff in my van and the kids can still sit in the back comfortably.

This is our set-up:
    [​IMG]

This is mostly packed in:
    [​IMG]

The kombi packed and ready to go:
    [​IMG]

8. Weekender

Syncro27

Its funny how a thread starts as one thing, and changes to other matters - so to keep that theme, what is that tent you have - is it a custom thing that attaches to your van, or does it just look that way?

Leo

9. Syncro27

Leo,

The tent is an Outwell Mountain Road Awning from Just Kampers - it is great - although I pinched a hole in the roof with the roof braces accidentally which we found when it pissed down on the Sunday night.

Otherwise - no leaks and a fantastic size for a family of 4.

Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Off to the tent repairer next week.

10. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Scott,

I have the Outwell Coastal Road, from memory you can over and offered to help me put it up at oldbar last year as I looked like a fish out of water, it was the 1st time I had used it and the mates I had with my sat on their bums drinking beers and laughing.
    We have used it 5 times since and I now find it easy to put up, been lucky so far no holes from the inner poles.
    Great tent though we love it.

Steve

11. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    Saw a Roto moulded (plastic) box trailer advertised on telly recently, probably strong and lightweight, google should find it.

Geoff.

12. Syncro27

Ahh.... that was you Steve.

Yes drinking piss and putting up tents doesnt mix too well.

I got a repair kit from BCF yesterday and have glued the patch on - the tent re[pairer said not to stitch a roof of a nylon tent - canvas maybe but nylon need tape over any stitching to stay waterproof. Hence, he suggest as the hole is smaller than my little finger to gte a ptch kit and glue it on.

Already done! Easy as. Now to test it out in some Old Bar weather! Although last year we didnt actually get Old Bar weather at Old Bar.

13. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Thaks geoff,
    I had a look at them, very weird looking trailers "Yuppi wagon" not for me & closest dealer I could find was in the NT.

Cheer's

Steve

14. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Scott,
    with a bit of luck we will get the same weather & a bit more swell, looking forward to it and will have the wife & bubs with me this time not a bunch of piss head mates.
    the wife watched the video on putting it up so we have it pretty much down pat now, look forward to having a beer with you after I have the tent up.;)

Cheer's

Steve