1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madcampers camper...

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by madcamper, Oct 9, 2006.

1. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Madcampers camper... I should say former camper...

Well here she is, a 1979 (1st Registered 81) Bay Kombi. One of the last of the Wolfsberg production runs. She is equipped with a 2L dual carb motor.

I bought her off my uncle, who could no longer drive her. He was her second owner, and had her since 1986.

She is suffering from some 'Wombat' damage on the front drivers side dog leg and sill, as she was living out at Lochsport, near Sale, but this will be attended to soon. When repainted, she will stay the same Gympie Gold color.

I will post more pics as work is done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice looker you got there

3. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

very smoooth! :cool:

Just one thing... is it just me or has that got some insane neg camber on the back wheels? :D

4. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Yes, she does have neg camber. Improves cornering..... (Not that she goes around corners quickly!!)

Thanks for the comments!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  5. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Hehehhe...looks mean... eats tyres tho no doubt? :D

6. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Nice bus Necro.

7. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Nice, gotta .love the campers. What make of camper is it?
    Also, those Wombats are big brutes, especially when you hit them. Tough as.

Rob J

8. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Yeah, she does seem to go through tyres, though if you rotate them often enough it doesn't seem to cause too much of a problem.

As to what camper conversion, she is a shiralee...

9. JamieH

JamieH New Member

hey madcamper she looks goo. can ya post so pics of the inside please. always curious of the options campers had from diff manufactures
    Cheers Jamie

10. madcamper

madcamper New Member

The old girl is recieving her new heart on Thursday. She is getting a worked 1800, fitted with a 2L crank. This should see her with more horses at the rear wheels than the standard 2L. I'm looking forward to getting her back, as I hate driving the Japanese P.O.S. I have been relegated to since Melb cup day..
    Will post more pics when I get her home...

11. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Bloody bad fuel caused both heads to go on a Trip back from Wodonga a fortnight ago. NOT HAPPY JAN :(
    Will have to fix the problem. Wife is not happy either, and may end up putting my kombi up for sale once repaired, as I need a daily driver.

12. kombinationdetailing

kombinationdetailing New Member

Hey Madcamper! don't do that! I'd love to help you out, you can even have the engine if you really need it, no roo bar though, that's a keeper...Mikki and Juri could deliver you a complete matching Gympie Gold camper for spares...MINE! give me a call and we can work something out. i'm not after thoudands and would rather see yours revived and driving, call me on 0423767242. Thanks Adam

13. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Thanks Adam. Will call you in the next couple of days.

14. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Due to severe reliability issues, and the fact that I've had to pour in a fair amount of $ into her, she has been traded for a VW Caddy ute. (Not the caddys which are on the market now, but a Mk2 golf with a ute tray on the back.)
    It breaks my heart to see her leave, as she'll be going on the back of a tow truck as she has a blown motor but house renos, family commitments and a general look at the bank balance has led me down this path.(She'll eventually reside in England)
    I know now that I'll miss the fun times, but the time has come to think with my head, and not my heart.:(

15. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I think it is terrible that you had to sell your good-looking kombi - more so that it will be leaving our shores... :( I hope the Golf ute meets your needs and is gentler on your bank balance, and good luck! :)

16. madcamper

madcamper New Member

Thanks for your condolances Woz. I hope that the ute will fit in too... Somthing unique, but still VW. The picture is not what I am getting, but the previous model. Mine will have different indicators, wheels, etc. It is two tone; dark blue on top white down below.

Although still not a kombi...

Attached Files: