1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magazine article on VW Kombi in Australia

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by ltonk, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ltonk

ltonk Member

Hi everyone,
    My husband is a long time kombi lover and owner and has been a member of this forum for years. I'm a magazine journalist and am working on an article focusing on the history of the VW Kombi in Australia. My article will follow the kombi from it's arrival in OZ back in the '50's to the present day and I want to interweave personal stories from the people who know car best - the kombi owner and lover! In other words, you guys!

I'm on the hunt for some interesting stories. I'd love to interview a bunch of kombi enthusiasts and am looking for in particular:

-Anyone who owned or used as a work vehicle a Kombi back in the 1950's when they first arrived in Australia.
    -Anyone who has actually lived in their van for a substantial amount of time.
    -Anyone who has a really impressive kombi collection (my husband would say him but I know his collection is only the tip of the iceberg!)
    -Anyone who has inherited their love of the VW Kombi from their parents or family and have passed this love onto their own kids.
    -Anyone who has never driven anything but a Kombi!
    -Anyone who became a kombi lover back in the 1960's as a hippy!
    -Anyone who has a great history with this iconic car!

If you wouldn't mind a chat and sharing your thoughts and wisdom, please email me at odette@allthingsstainless.com.au and I'd love to organise a time to call or shoot through some questions for you to answer!

Thanks again for your time and it's a testament to forums like this that the humble kombi is as popular today as it ever was!

Kindest,
    Odette Tonkin

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Contact Phil Matthews from Club VeeDub Sydney. He wrote a book on Australian VW history and has a lot of information on Australian production.

If you want some up to date news, 2 1989 syncros are on there way to Berlin for the Kombi show and then on to Busfest in England.

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Odette, are you coming to Croudace Bay on Sunday?

4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

kombigal - Jules is your lady re living in a Kombi.
    Tequila Sunrise - Jacqui has always had a Kombi as her only car up for over 20 years.

cbus likes this.
  5. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Odette , if you are attending on Sunday you might like the story of our bus .
    Ordered in Australia delivered in the UK 1972 ,toured UK and Europe before being shipped to Australia and touring around with friends holidaying here .
    The original owner is local .we are the 2nd custodians taking over in 2008
    We have the original receipts and service documents throughout Europe etc
    I know this doesn't meet your brief but a great story
    Cheers Mark

6. Grazza7755

Grazza7755 Well-Known Member

Dave Berry at Trakka in Sydney has been and still is, converting Kombis into campers for over 40 years.
    That should be a mentionable part of their history in Australia.

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

References trickling in :D

Old Dubber has a couple of interesting stories ;)

8. ltonk

ltonk Member

Gee thanks so much guys for all the tip-offs! I knew interesting stories surrounding the classic Kombi wouldn't be too hard to find! I'll contact the people suggested, thanks and any others with interesting kombi stories feel free to let me know or email me at odette@allthingsstainless.com.au
    Cheers!
    Odette