1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make for benefit and glory of Borat Hemsworth Poptop T3

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

A simple right angle adaptor on the pressure port on the pump, the fittings and hoses can be made to measure at any hydraulics company.
    I have Powerflex bushings in the front suspension and rack mounts, the upper bushes do need to be removed cleaned and re greased every 3/4 years with CV2 grease.
    I think the newish GoWesty Delrin bushes may be a better way to go.
    Nearly Finished R.jpg

SunnyJim likes this.
  2. Maccas

Maccas Active Member

Hard to answer this, not knowing what top parameters you have for "better".
    My syncro mechanic recommends replacing with original rubber.

3. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

That is a nice engine bay

4. SunnyJim

Yes I think this is a hard one. I assume any new bushing will be better than a 31 year old one.
    I was just wondering if someone had compared the purple ones with stock vw?

5. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Years ago I replaced my original squawking bushes with OEM ones, within 12 months they started squeaking !!!!! at least I get a few years out of the purple
    Powerflex bushes before they need re lubricating.
    Next time I'll be fitting the GoWesty Delrin ones.

6. SunnyJim

@Wattie

It looks like you have power steering on your h6, so a question for you...

I was planning to install a set of metal pipes from another van then just get 2 short pieces of rubber hose to attach to the pump.

However I read the old pipes leak? I might be better off going rubber all the way from rack to pump. Bus depot make a set but perhaps I can get them made locally.

7. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Hydraulic hoses would work with the correct fittings however, there may be a "spongy" steering effect due too the pressure expansion/contraction of the hoses over the required distance.
    Steel pipes are used on longer runs to eliminate pressure fluctuations and also act as heat exchangers, as for leaks in the T3 ps pipes my van is 32 years young and not a oil stain to be seen.:)
    Might pay to enquire with Luckyphil re leaking pipes as he has parted more T3's that most.:)

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Never seen leaking pipes in Aus, sure it happens overseas due to harsh conditions. More likely to have a leaking rack.

9. SunnyJim

Ok
    Good to know. I will proceed to use my metal pipes

10. SunnyJim

Hope everyone had a great Easter

T3 steering rack question ? Loss of power steering .

I will soon start the process of retrofitting power steering into Borat Hemsworth the 89 5spd t3.

I will overhaul the rack and get new short hoses to attach to the subie pump.
    I want to get it all done in one go, just wondering, if things go belly up and I end the day with the new power steering rack in but can't get it to work, is the van steerable at all?

I don't know how bad it would be. I have lost power steering in a smaller car before. I could drive it on the highway ok but just real hard to turn at slow speeds.

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have heard it is the same as you described.

Thought I read @Grantus said you can use the power steering belt to replace the water pump belt in an emergency

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Wasn’t me. Neither of mine have power steering.....:p

But I too remember reading that, and I think it was either @Luckyphil or @Syncro27 ... :rolleyes:

13. Luckyphil

Yes it was me who used the power steer pump belt for the water pump.. Steering without the belt on isnt too hard.

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

SunnyJim likes this.
  15. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I was going to do that once when my white T3 caravelle a/C belt snapped and took out the main alt belt.

My power steering belt was still alive but I had no tools so i called the NRMA - as I was on the side of the freeway they said they cant do it for safety reasons.

But Lucky Phil had the same issue with a van he bought so we got it to its final destination with a swap from phils vans power steering belt when we had no choice - got us there well!

16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I've blown the power steering belt off the syncro camper. It's much the same as a non PS bus. It's no big deal, just a bit more manhandling when you get to a car park.

17. SunnyJim

Thanks all for the info.

I had assumed the ratios in the power rack might be very different to a non power steering rack but it sounds like it isn't.

18. SunnyJim

Does anyone have a good picture of the power steering metal lines under the bus? I looked in Bentley and Haynes.
    I am hoping it will make sense when I start fitting them under the bus and being steel they probably can't take too many detours.

I am not sure if i have to lower / remove the fuel tank or not?

I also thought I could reuse the ej22 steering fluid reservoir, but no the later outback reservoir was remote type. Luckily a wrecker had one cheap.

I have started cleaning up the rack and the lines. Waiting on new boots and rack mount bushes.
    20210412_103716.jpg 20210412_103633.jpg 20210412_103654.jpg 20210412_103615.jpg

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  19. Luckyphil

Best to at least lower the tank or if possible remove it as the lines are a bitch to man handle into place. You are correct they cannot be bent. Good idea to flush the system to get any crap out as well.

Barry likes this.
  20. SunnyJim

thx Phil
    I think I have a plan of attack now