1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make for benefit and glory of Borat Hemsworth Poptop T3

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SunnyJim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

7zap.com

2. SunnyJim

Nice to drive a T3 with power steering:D
    Borat takes another step on the way to being a Hemsworth .;)

I ended up using the Vw t3 reservoir as the spouts faced the right way.
    Picked up a subie power steering hose at the wreckers but of course it does not have the right connection to mate to the vw lines. Then drove to Pirtek and they made up the hoses for me on the spot.
    I was unaware of the technology in ps hoses. Seems a common complaint in these conversions is the power steering noise or whine. My Pirtek guy was aware of this potential gotcha . He said watch this!

So he splits open the old subie hose and inside is a thin long metal snake or "restrictor". He then transplants this into my newly made hose.
    20210613_112017.jpg 20210613_111957.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Syncro27, Dapom, cbus and 4 others like this.
  3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Agree,

I bought the braided stainless steel quiet hose and it is brilliant - very quiet and fits perfectly at either end.

Your version seems great too - nice when its quiet.

SunnyJim likes this.
  4. SunnyJim

Scott
    Did you get the smallcar one?

5. Syncro27

Yes, it is engineered to work at both ends so I couldn't resist.

Nice when everything just fits...

6. SunnyJim

Yes I was looking at that one and also the Van cafe one but my concern was I didn't know exactly where I was mounting the reservoir hence the hoses might not be the right length.
    Anyway it has worked out ok

7. Syncro27

The high pressure hose is really a one length only as it goes from the pump on the scooby donk directly over to the high pressure line that is fitted to the RHS chassis rail and that pipe goes to the steering rack up front.

The other lines are low pressure so the reservoir can be fitted anywhere and power steering hose cut to length to suit. Well that was my situation anyway - your engine looks the same but the retrofit of the power steering could have altered everything...

8. SunnyJim

Well a little bit of a setback, slight overheat on Borat, didn't make it to 1770.

He has a new radiator, new stainless pipes, new stat. I am pretty sure I have a blown HG.

However I need to ask a couple of questions.
    89 5 speed t3. What type of thermoswitch should I have? The 3 pin type?
    I shorted out the fan pins and both speeds worked, however at the time of overheating no fan came on at all.

Did all watercooled T3s have that big fan resistor? I haven't had a look for mine, where should it be?
    20210718_151439.jpg

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bugger . :(

10. Syncro27

Just go to a wrecker and get another engine - they are abundant and cheap as....

Regarding the resistor - they usually sit just behind the passenger side head-light.

11. SunnyJim

Yep, too right scott. Advantage of subies.
    I already have a spare lined up.
    My original question was really about the thermoswitch.
    Are they proned to failure?

I guess I should have explained more.

On my 71 and 76 conversions I have the ecu controlling the fans. on at 95 off at 90, but on my t3 I know it is common to just let the vw t3 thermoswitch do this.
    Thinking of changing this as I would have expected to hear the fans come on.
    If I also read Bentley correctly we have 12v power thru a 30amp fuse to the thermoswitch to the fan. No relay. I guess the thermoswitch is hefty enough to cope with this. But I like seeing this type of current going thru a relay.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  12. Syncro27

Yes you have a Frankie to go in - go with that.

My syncro rad fan is controlled by the thermoswitch - no problems so far but as you know -you can trigger wire those fans from the Subie computer - totally optional.

As you are a wiring guru - maybe go down that path and forget the thermoswitch.

I haven't heard major problems with the thermoswitch yet out of 3 T3's I have had - I have had to replace one.

I have a syncro mate with a scooby conversion that had to replace the resistor behind the headlight to get the low speed to work. High speed is a different circuit.