1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manly Festival 23rd March 2019

Discussion in 'NSW' started by melissa, Mar 23, 2019.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful day today at Manly for the Vissla Manly Sydney Surf Pro. Big crowds - unfortunately lots of people who think that they can open your doors and get inside or touch whatever they want.

I was standing in front of Little Red about 10 feet away when a boy about 8 with his dad came up to the passengers side front and grabbed my open safari window - I was saying "don't touch that" but got ignored so said it again louder, again ignored, yelled it again only for the kid to pull down on the window and for it to come away from the hinge - I was already walking towards it and said to the dad "he has broken it - did you know these windows were $1000 for the pair? I now have to drive back to Newcastle like that" the dad looked at me and said "I can only apologise" but it was said with attitude that it was my fault!! I said to him "just go" and he said "what did you say?" so I said it again. After that I stayed with my car and stopped people touching it - I had one guy letting a blind guy open my side doors - when I said to him please don't do that - he was offended and said 'he is tactile" - I said "that may be but I just had a kid break my window - don't touch my car".

I will have to have a think about going next year again if it is on. Hopefully someone else took some photos.

Miss Rosie likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

As mentioned by Melissa a really nice day. With 60 cars max attending. I felt for you Melissa as your face really:(:mad: said it all and there really isn't much that could be said . Morning started at Dobroyd head with convey of 10 cars at a time leaving to Manly beach. I ended up loosing my cool:mad: with the organisers in the departure at Dobroyd with a another member wasn't happy either. Day seem to go fair quickly with a lot of interest with members cars. It is very hard to get photos of cars with out people,getting in the shoot.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Miss Rosie, Elsie 76, TeeBee and 7 others like this.
  3. melissa

Great shots Wayne - thanks.

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That sucks!!! :mad:

People’s behaviour is unbelievable sometimes.......:(

Ninga and David H like this.
  6. Wayne murray

General public at car shows are as you described "unbelievable" with what they think,it is a amusement park set up for there enjoyment:mad:. The parents are the worst:mad: with the way they handle there kids, lack of discipline :mad:.

7. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Feel for you Mel - I was brought up to walk with my hands behind my back and not to touch what was not mine - didn’t hurt me one bit and my kids have same same respect for others .

melissa, Ninga, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I'm never going if Wayne lost his cool:D;):)! I'd be done before breakfast & go home:oops:.
    Cheers

Wayne murray and TeeBee like this.
  9. Wayne murray

That's what I told her,felt like going straight home:(:mad:

10. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Repugnant behaviour! :mad: Would have sent my blood pressure through the roof!
    Scott wasn’t there with his taser?? ;)

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A great day at Manly, despite a few intrusive people......
    I think the issue regarding people getting in kombis, trying to open doors etc. was exacerbated by the Volkswagen promotional vehicles .........the folks responsible for them were actually encouraging and inviting folks to get inside, try this out etc. Mel and the nice splitties were parked right next to them and I think it set the tone for curious people. Not trying to make excuses.....just an observation.
    Waaaaaay back where we were parked up, we didn't have nearly as much of an issue.
    (Helped to have a small table & chairs set up in front of the open sliding door and both front doors locked !!)

Regarding the organisation at Dobroyd.......personally, I think if you register for an event and are given a VERY clear map of the route there shouldn't be a last minute flurry of folks not knowing where to go....Check in lasted an hour, surely that is enough time to read and work out where you're going ???:rolleyes:
    Sure, if you've never done this trip before you're obviously not going to lead a group to Manly.......but wouldn't you have a bit of a walk around to find someone that has ?

An improvement for next year, in my opinion, would be to ask at check-in at Dobroyd, (which was very efficient and lasted an hour for folks to arrive), if you would be prepared to lead a group......
    I think that would alleviate the stress of folks that don't know the area or cannot read maps.

My biggest complaint was the number of times I had to convince people that my wheel cover design is from Morning of the Earth not......... ENDLESS SUMMER .....aaaarrrrgggghhh !!o_O

Great shots Wayne....thanks....
    Here we come, Mallacoota...........:cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. oldman

If Scotty had been there, there'd be a couple more waking up in the cells at Manly this morning.....and rightly so.
    Absolutely no excuses for that incident.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Ninga likes this.
  13. melissa

As Mark said - lucky he wasn't there! and yes by the end of it I was really stressed out and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Ninga likes this.
  14. Frank

Frank Active Member

Thanks for sharing photos.
    I had something on, or would have been there too. I always enjoy catching up with all of you there.

15. oldman

Yes, missed you Frank.......was great to catch up with Geoff.
    Cheers,
    Mark

16. John

John Member

Good day in a great location. Organisation at the start was a mess and poorly managed. Could be fixed very easily. 'Crowd' control is another matter, maybe cattle prods or whips may have been handy. Very happy to be down the 'rear' end away from all those water cooled new VW's and scrambling humans.

17. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

That's terrible, Melissa! :(:mad: Some parents let their kids do anything these days. There was a "Tiny Home" display here in Victoria yesterday. The kids were treating them like cubby houses: - climbing around inside, jumping on the beds. One kid even fell down the stairs that went up to the loft. The poor owners were looking very frazzled. The lack of respect is amazing. :(

18. oldman

....and for any interested surfers.....Jordy Lawler, (from Narrabeen Boardriders), won the event !!:D
    Surfed with finesse & style to out-class an in-form Jadson Andre.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW !! :cool:

Cheers,
    Mark

John, Elsie 76, Jethro and 2 others like this.
  19. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the lack of respect from the public regarding you bus. :( It gives a sour taste in whether or not to support events like these. I feel your distress and hope your bus is as good as new soon.
    I could only drop over to Manly for an hour or so and caught up with a few KC members, and have brief chat or shake a hand or two, :)unfortunately, each time I walked past you Melissa you were chatting to someone.
    Knowing the Kombi life, I am sure karma will catch up with the young fellow and his dad sometime in the future. :eek:

Ninga, melissa, oldman and 1 other person like this.
  20. melissa

Thanks for the support fellow kombi owners - it's fixable, just annoying that I will have to remove the safari to do it.

Karma --- hmmm --- maybe dad runs over the kids skateboard (or other favourite thing) after coming home from finding someone has sideswiped his car in the car park at work, and not left a note?

Wayne murray, Grantus, Ninga and 5 others like this.