1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Fuel pump metal outlet pipe loose 79 Bay Window

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Travelbug73, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Travelbug73

Travelbug73 New Member

I have just replaced my fuel hoses on my 79 2 litre Bay Window.

When I was connecting the hose from the Fuel pump outlet to the engine bay I noticed the metal outlet pipe on the fuel pump is loose and can rotate a little.
    If I turn it clockwise it seems to tighten up.

Any advice on how to fix. I dont want to mess with the fuel pump too much in case i cause a bigger problem. I have not run the motor yet so not sure if it will leak from the outlet although it never leaked from there before I changed the fuel lines.

Thanks

David H likes this.
  2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You can get a Loctite brand shaft lock "glue" that will work. Cant think of the number but it got me out of trouble once. I would also put a tie wire through a fuel injection rated hose clamp on the fuel hose and tie it back to the pump body to take the strain off it and stop it falling out.
    Really you want get it knurled (pattern in the brass pipe to get it to fit solidly in the outlet) but that is going to be a machine shop unless you are handy with a lathe etc) .

I would also do and wire the pipes in to the carbs as they get loose eventually too and one of them falling out has contributed to many fires.

Regardless it is important to do something about it. There may be other options that people have to fix it.

Adrian

Mr Beckstar, rstucke and cbus like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

May be get a centre punch and put a couple of peen marks at the join?

Mr Beckstar likes this.