1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet Doris. Although I think she is well known here!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Michael G, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Michael G

Michael G Member

Hi all.
    I'm Michael. I am a Aircraft Maintenance Engineer from
    Wagga Wagga NSW.
    My beautiful wife Sarah and I have owned Doris, our 77 ex Army 9 seat bus for just over a year. Turns out she is quite famous here haha. She used to be owned by Bernie aka Saabman.
    We bought her out of Surry Hills, Melbourne last January.
    I have 3 kids to a previous marriage , a Son and another on the way to my current wife.
    I have had several older cars in the past(mainly Renault 12s) . Had been out of them for a while while life got in the way...
    Recently life has settled down and I wanted to get back into having a old car to tinker with and enjoy.
    My wife and I have always pointed out Kombi's wherever we went and Sarah started collecting model Kombi's.
    So since I wanted an older car and we had 4 kids at the time a Kombi it was!!
    We looked at a couple. One in Cowra. Was a camper so wasn't really suited to us(not enough seats) and one in Batlow. It was nice but had rust in the foor and was missing the middle seat.
    Then we came across a 77 ex army 9 seater online. This one really appealed to me as my Dad was in the army and he remembered riding in the Kombi's.
    So we drove down to Melbourne, fell in love and bought her home.

Now at the time I knew very little about them.
    After doing some reading online and getting a workshop manual, also learning that one caught fire in Melbourne the very day I drove ours home, I thought I probably should have looked at a few things more closely before jumping in and driving it 450kms!
    Mind you she ran like a dream and never missed a beat.

Sure enough after checking the fuel lines a couple of days later they just about crumbled in my hands!!! Dodged a bullet there!!!
    Needless to say I changed them right away.

Other than a broken clutch cable, luckily that happened only a block from home( scared the crap out of a kid riding his bike next to us when it let go with a bang) she has been really reliable so far. I drive her to work every day too.

As I enjoy learning the ins and outs of my interests I am looking forward to learning lots from all the experienced people on this great forum.
    Thanks for having us .
    20200113_133235.jpg 20200113_133205.jpg 20200113_112013.jpg FB_IMG_1552391476645.jpg received_1205264569624375.jpeg 20200113_112225.jpg

68BUS, Wattie, Ninga and 4 others like this.
  2. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Welcome, great to see a Kombi being used for what it was designed to do, carry a load of people.
    Hopefully the kids will enjoy it as much as you will.
    This is the place to ask questions and get informed answers, a great bunch of knowledgeable and generous people.

cheers

Steve

jimbi, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  3. Michael G

Michael G Member

Thanks Steve.
    The kids love her.
    We have them(the 3 older ones) week about. I cleaned out the shed while they were not here and put Doris in there.
    They were so upset when they next came home as they thought we had sold her!!

MAP77 likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

@Michael G ..... welcome to the party that never ends :cool: & congratulations on acquiring Doris ;)

Michael G likes this.
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Nice story of your kombi/life so far. It's been a while since I've been in Wagga Wagga and was a shame that I didn't see you at the Canberra meet last year. good experience for the kids travelling the country side in a kombi,I still remember doing so when I was a child and the passion has taken off from there. all the best Wayne

MAP77 and Michael G like this.
  6. Michael G

Michael G Member

Thanks Wayne.
    Yea they really enjoy travelling in her.
    We do regular trips to Junee(Sarah's parents live there) , up to Cudal, near Orange( my parents are there) , also have been to Albury, Canberra, Young and Cowra.

David H likes this.
  7. Michael G

Michael G Member

Thanks mate

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome :)
    Have you considered Bus Stop at Dubbo at Easter?

9. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Welcome Michael and family. All kids should get to experience old cars, it's a way to show them what we grew up in and how much fun can be had without all the new technology and creature comforts. ;):)

Michael G likes this.
  10. Michael G

Michael G Member

We would love to go but my wife is due to have our baby around then.

melissa likes this.
  11. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Great intro Michael! :) Love the pics.
    Welcome to a wonderful club mate... you’ll be pleased you joined.

How funny that we spotted Doris on our way home from Henty Field Days and it was previously Bernie’s Bus... Bernie was the first Kombi Clubber we ever met! :D

Seeing as we’re not to far away, we look forward to meeting you and the family sometime.

Cheers,
    Chrissy.

Michael G likes this.
  12. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

"Doris" in a former life camping on the Nullabor in 2014 Doris.jpg

TeeBee, Miss Rosie, David H and 3 others like this.
  13. Michael G

Michael G Member

Thanks Chrissy

That's really cool that you spotted her!!

Would love to meet up one day soon to meet you and your bus!

Hope your doing ok with the fires atm. If there is anything we can do let us know

Ninga likes this.
  14. Michael G

Michael G Member

That's an awesome photo! Thanks so much for sharing!!

KahunaKombi likes this.
  15. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a similar pic. (somewhere :rolleyes: ) of this trip, that started after the 2014 Bus Stop at Griffith.
    We had planned on crossing the paddock with these good folk, however the passing of my wife's Godfather saw us drop down to Adelaide, after a night at Overland corner.
    Would have been before Bernie & Co met up with you Geoff.
    Found it ....Unfortunately, PB has its watermark all over it &
    Photobucket wouldn't allow me to copy the image, so here's the link:
    http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz226/mastarokim/Bus Stop 2014/P4220100_zpsdc31acfd.jpg~original

Good times.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

And the Mush bus... anyone heard from Tangles lately?

17. Michael G

Michael G Member

Thanks Mark! That's a good one too!

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that pic. has, from left to right.... us Mark (oldman) and Sue and the Tardis,......Brian (Tangles) and Hamish Mushpit, the kombi....Martin (VWfreak) and his orange bus......and Bernie (Saabman) and his bus, now Doris.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Michael G likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

He was up sunny coast about Sept ?
    Headed back SA for the harvests.

wombatventures and oldman like this.
  20. Kombijos

Kombijos Member

Michael, If you are in
    Wagga Would you be interested in joining the Riverina Volkswagen Club, an active local VW club with activities throughout the year. Regards Peter Josling