1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet Gertie the 76 Sopru!

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Jethro, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

How cool is that!

Jethro likes this.
  2. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Thanks, not sure yet, don't really like paying the yearly fee but the most beautiful part will be the letters "NSW" !!

David H, melissa and Grantus like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I meant to ask - what happened with getting blue slip and the R'n'R?

Was it just ticked off as it was a Sopru?

4. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

100%, Sopru compliance plate with "seating capacity 4" was all he needed to see.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great news Geoff on getting the blue slip :D

Jethro likes this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Following the blue slip euphoria from Saturday morning, got on with a couple of jobs this weekend.

Put on the decal which I got from Heritage VW in UK , (a small detail but I love this graphic). It looks good but thought it would be one of those decals you put on wet then remove the front plastic just leaving the white lines but its just a rectangular sticker and in gloss so you can see the whole thing, Ill keep looking out for a proer one but good for now
    upload_2017-11-19_21-14-13.png

New seat belts for the the bluey inspection
    upload_2017-11-19_21-20-47.png

New clamped edge strip for the pop top, old one was stiff and falling off most times the top went up. (about $10/m from clark rubber, perfect match)
    upload_2017-11-19_21-23-6.png

Found and bought an original sopru roof rack from ebay during the week, very very happy with this find. Had exact one on the old kombi so really completing the picture. The guy I bought it from had a 76 also. Got some rubber protectors from clark rubber also and fitted today
    upload_2017-11-19_21-27-22.png

upload_2017-11-19_21-27-48.png

All in all a couple of steps in the right direction, including a few trips locally and show offs to a couple of friends :)

David H and Grantus like this.
  7. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Damnit I’ve been on the lookout for a good Sopru roof rack for months! Well played :D

David H likes this.
  8. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Yeah, the racks are difficult to find, I started making offers to sellers with kombis for sale on the various sites where they showed the rack, particularly the cheaper ones 10k or less and this one came up so I grabbed it. I was onto one in Qld that the guy would have accepted $400 for but I think he has sold the bus now but give it a go, I was offering $300 in the first approach and was getting a reasonable response. I found the guys with the cheaper busses were happier to break up the full kit and sell separately. The more expensive ones were understandably less open to the idea but your only asking the question.

David H, Grantus and Mr Beckstar like this.
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Always worth asking the question.

If you don’t ask, you’ll never know. :rolleyes:

And at worst, you get a “no” reply........;)

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Polished up nice Geoff;).
    Cheers

Jethro likes this.
  11. David H

Me too. You lucky b Geoff;).
    Cheers

Jethro likes this.
  12. David H

Hi Geoff,
    Gear change pattern off ebay via USA. Very original & he sends 2 for $10. I'll look for website tomorrow or check my thread. Gertie looking excellent:D.
    Cheers

Jethro likes this.
  13. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Gertie got her new NSW plates today!! Very pleased to have that job done. Came so close to getting a 76 in the middle of the number in the random selection at the RTA.
    upload_2017-11-24_22-23-38.png

David H and Grantus like this.
  14. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Would love to get that contact Dave for the Gear change pattern and I think I saw a previous post somewhere where you mentioned getting a new "Campmobile" sticker for the back, would be good to get one of those also. I'm slightly reluctant to replace the original one, not 100% sure, there is something nice about the patina of it? what do you reckon?
    upload_2017-11-24_22-31-54.png

15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

only original once - and yours is original

My opinion - and it is not my kombi :)

oldman likes this.
  16. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

mmm...tend to agree, cheers

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

How about:

Replace the original sticker, only when you replace the original paint..........simples! :)

David H likes this.
  18. David H

Hi Geoff,
    Guys above make some good points & the 'patina' can't be achieved a second time as it took 41 years. It's a 'rocky road' & expensive to end up with a full resto... for it's "open ended". It's your kombi & you'll do it how you see it & what fits for you both.
    Some 'bling' around the sides is a great way to approach your current enthusiasm & take time to consider what you both want. Get out & about with Gertie to get a 'feel' for what the future holds. Sure ..get a new sticker here or there (campmobile one contact Elsie76 on here) but it's really about why you bought back into Kombi Sopru Campers. It's not about restoring them... it's about using them:p:D.
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it!;)
    Good bus with just a little care needed & go & enjoy. Resto will come to you...you don't have to go to it!:p
    IMPO It seems that after you've done a great resto (& spent $30k, you get scared about damaging the pretty bus & they get used less:().
    Just saying old boys resto was done for very personal reasons & because old boy had done such impeccable service to me over 30 yrs & I felt I owed him a life beyond mine:rolleyes:.
    It's your bus & you'll do it how you both want! Go & enjoy;) & let life decide what's next:eek:
    Kombi Groover;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Elsie 76 likes this.
  19. David H

20. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Yeh Harry's Campmobile sticker is going to stay cracked and original for a while yet.

David H likes this.